WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    A look at the weather in Harper's Ferry suggests that Rain Man is going to earn his trail name this long weekend. You might say, for him, it's the "appellation" trail.
    Love that pun! The significance of the weather on his last day wasn't missed by either of us! (But it didn't rain )
    Last edited by Teacher & Snacktime; 10-10-2017 at 20:35.
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Bravo, Rain Man (and Teacher). Here's to future adventures!

Congratulations! Didn't want to jinx you, thought I'd wait until you were finished.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Congratulations Rain Man!!! Seems long ago that you did the Swatara Gap to DWG section. I had to work yesterday or I would have been there in person to cheer you over the finish line. Iceman

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    It's over!
    I too didn't want to jinx things by offering premature congratulation.

But now that it's official, I offer a heartfelt congratulations. Having recently completed a hiking goal many years in the making myself, I've got a feeling just how you're feeling yourself.

Congratulations, Rain Man! What an awesome thread you have inspired.

I'm sorry I couldn't be there to help celebrate--I was at The Gathering. It looks like you got the royal treatment at ATC, though :-)

But I can bring you a quote from Stumpknocker, who just completed his 7th hike of the A.T. (a section-hike) and can validate what an achievement it is. He's hiked the A.T. twice nobo, twice sobo, and twice as a flip-flopper, but he said the section-hike was by far the hardest way to hike the A.T. We've all heard this from various folks before, including other radical repeaters, but I am pretty sure that no one else has such a measured equal diversity of long-distance experiences on the A.T. as Stumpknocker.

So congratulations on an amazing journey, as well as having the fortitude to keep going back year after year

Laurie P.
    ATC

Well done, Sir. congratulations.

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

Huge congrats Rain Man! I wish I had seen this sooner, although I doubt I would have been able to join you. I am happy to have spent a few days on the trail with you.
    Everything is easy until you do it.

Images

Way to go Rain Man from a fellow section hiker. I've followed your exploits for some time on White Blaze and am very happy you were able to get it done!

PS - I'm finding trail crews are a great way to stay connected to the trail after finishing my hike. Something to consider if you haven't already.

It's over! Started Saturday mid-morning from Bear's Den Trail Center, hiked leisurely 8 miles to Blackburn and spent night there (my wife drove in). Planned to hike Sunday about 8 or 9 miles to a campsite, but trail was so easy I went about 11.5 miles to the edge of Harpers Ferry on the town side of the Hwy 340 bridge across the Shenandoah River. That left 4/10ths of a mile for Monday (Columbus Day) morning. My last day was also to be my shortest day ever on the AT. Spent the night at Farmer Chef's & Mama Bear's home nearby. Teacher drove down from Rhode Island!

Monday morning we woke up to a drizzle of rain, but after a hearty breakfast at FC's & MB's, the rain stopped and we caravaned back to HF. Teacher and my pup "Boone" hiked with me and the others went to the ATC HQ to pave the way for my arrival, including a crepe paper "ribbon" for me to break.

The volunteer crew at the ATC had sparkling cider and champagne glasses for all to share. SWEET!
    So, my photo is in the official 2017 book! As a 14-year section hiker, I've had many "ends" to hikes on the AT, but always there were others to come to complete the thing. Not this time. Surreal drive home yesterday.

Many, many thanks for all the congrats ... and especially for all the wonderful true "trail magic" of help, support, advice, and friends made along the years.
    Huge Congratulations to you RainMan, Well Done! One heckofa accomplishment.

u.w.

Images

It's over! Here's a photo from yesterday morning. Started Saturday mid-morning from Bear's Den Trail Center, hiked leisurely 8 miles to Blackburn and spent night there (my wife drove in). Planned to hike Sunday about 8 or 9 miles to a campsite, but trail was so easy I went about 11.5 miles to the edge of Harpers Ferry on the town side of the Hwy 340 bridge across the Shenandoah River. That left 4/10ths of a mile for Monday (Columbus Day) morning. My last day was also to be my shortest day ever on the AT. Spent night at Farmer Chef's & Mama Bear's home nearby. Teacher drove down from Rhode Island!

Monday morning we woke up to a drizzle of rain, but after a hearty breakfast at FC's & MB's, the rain stopped and we caravaned back to HF. Teacher and my pup "Boone" hiked with me and the others went to the ATC HQ to pave the way for my arrival, including a crepe paper "ribbon" for me to break.

The volunteer crew at the ATC had sparkling cider and champagne glasses for all to share. SWEET!

So, my photo is in the official 2017 book! As a 14-year section hiker, I've had many "ends" to hikes on the AT, but always there were others to come to complete the thing. Not this time. Surreal drive home yesterday.

Many, many thanks for all the congrats ... and especially for all the wonderful true "trail magic" of help, support, advice, and friends made along the years.
    Good job rainman I was up at Baxter the last week of Aug.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++