WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Images

:banana Rain Man Completes the AT Columbus Day Weekend 2017

I will finish the AT at Harpers Ferry on Columbus Day, 2017. Just finished off Maine a couple of weeks ago; did all of Vermont in July. Started at Springer Mountain in Georgia on July 31, 2003. Has only taken me 14 years! LOL

I ended a section hike at Bears Den Trail Center hostel a few years back, so I'll begin there on Saturday, October 7th after breakfast in town and hike 8 miles to Blackburn Trail Center for the night. Both these PATC facilities have road access and parking, so I plan to slack-pack Saturday. My wife will be driving our car in support.

On Sunday I'll hike from Blackburn Trail Center about another 8.4 miles to a campsite north of Keys Gap. Keys Gap is a road crossing, so we can slack-pack to there if we want.

Finally, on Monday, Columbus Day morning, I'll hike 3.5 miles into Harpers Ferry to the ATC HQ, where I began a northbound section hike a few years ago. This will finish every step of the way from Georgia to Maine, past every white blaze, for me!

We'll do early lunch to celebrate in Harpers Ferry and have time to drive back home on Columbus Day.

BTW, there are several road crossings and access points, in case you'd like to join in later on any day of the hike, or just join us at the end for the celebratory lunch.

My dog Boone will be hiking with me, other dogs with well-behaved owners are welcome.

The total 3-day weekend hike mileage will be 19.9 miles over moderate to fairly easy terrain. For experienced backpackers, this will be "a walk in the park." In the past, October in Virginia has been beautiful hiking weather!

I already have a couple of folks planning to do this hike with me. If anyone would like to join in, please let me know.

Thought y'all like to know this ol' hiker has become a 2,000-miler.
    Last edited by Rain Man; 09-27-2017 at 10:46.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Lovely! I was planning to be at the ALDHA Gathering, but you are tempting me. Congratulations, RM. You have done well for yourself and those who have hiked with you.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Hearty Congratulations - both for your accomplishment to date, and for the final piece still to come!

In this zeitgeist of extraordinary claims - many dubious, FKT and otherwise - I have greater admiration for one who has been able to enjoy many years of hiking the trail, and enjoying it at his own pace, instead of trying to get the experience over as soon as possible. IDK if you're in the running for "SKT", but my guess is that you look back on the last 14 years as time well spent. It's terrific that your spouse is so supportive of your effort as well.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Glad to run into you at US421 years back.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Wicked, Rain Man!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Comin' around the club house turn, Congrats!

Images

What an amazing achievement! Well done, sir!

Journal Entries
    Images

Excellent.

I hope you enjoy those few miles into Harpers Ferry to to max!

Congratulations! Completing the trail as a section hiker takes a ton of commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I will finish the AT at Harpers Ferry on Columbus Day, 2017. Just finished off Maine a couple of weeks ago; did all of Vermont in July. Started at Springer Mountain in Georgia on July 31, 2003. Has only taken me 14 years! LOL

I ended a section hike at Bears Den Trail Center hostel a few years back, so I'll begin there on Saturday, October 7th after breakfast in town and hike 8 miles to Blackburn Trail Center for the night. Both these PATC facilities have road access and parking, so I plan to slack-pack Saturday. My wife will be driving our car in support.

On Sunday I'll hike from Blackburn Trail Center about another 8.4 miles to a campsite north of Keys Gap. Keys Gap is a road crossing, so we can slack-pack to there if we want.

Finally, on Monday, Columbus Day morning, I'll hike 3.5 miles into Harpers Ferry to the ATC HQ, where I began a northbound section hike a few years ago. This will finish every step of the way from Georgia to Maine, past every white blaze, for me!

We'll do early lunch to celebrate in Harpers Ferry and have time to drive back home on Columbus Day.

BTW, there are several road crossings and access points, in case you'd like to join in later on any day of the hike, or just join us at the end for the celebratory lunch.

My dog Boone will be hiking with me, other dogs with well-behaved owners are welcome.

The total 3-day weekend hike mileage will be 19.9 miles over moderate to fairly easy terrain. For experienced backpackers, this will be "a walk in the park." In the past, October in Virginia has been beautiful hiking weather!

I already have a couple of folks planning to do this hike with me. If anyone would like to join in, please let me know.

Congratulations on your achievement!
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

For some reason I found this exceptionally touching.

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I've been dreaming of the AT off and on since I was ten years old. I managed an entire kilometer this summer (mostly on a fluke during a trip to Asheville) and intend to finish the task as soon as can be arranged, hopefully in the next few years.

I'll be with you in spirit, enjoy the views!

Journal Entries
    Images

Congrats Rain Man.

have not met you Rain Man but enjoy reading your posts/comments here on WB. i volunteer at ATC on tuesdays, so if you stick around in HF, stop by and say hello.

congratulations on a huge milestone! my quest took me 11 years. . .loved every minute of it.

.com

Registered User Teacher & Snacktime's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Wish I could be there!
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Comin' around the club house turn, Congrats!
    Certainly enjoyed hiking in PA with you, rocketsocks!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Glad to run into you at US421 years back.
    Yes, me too! If I can find it, I'll post that pic of you and me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    Lovely! I was planning to be at the ALDHA Gathering, but you are tempting me. Congratulations, RM. You have done well for yourself and those who have hiked with you.
    Oh, Sawnie, do let me tempt you successfully! I remember so fondly all your help for me and my family as I/we hiked in Grayson Highlands and up toward Sugar Grove! Would love to see you again!

Looks like I might cross paths with you on Saturday, as I hike southbound on what is effectively the beginning of my section-quest of the Trail (I don't consider my failed attempt in Maine a couple years ago as "counting".)

I am in awe of your accomplishment, and have tremendous respect for your persistence and tenacity in reaching your goal. That is an inspiration for me, and I'm going to take it as a good omen that I will share a small piece of the Trail with you, even for a moment.

Congratulations!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Congratulations! I hope to be like you in a few years as well. That is a great accomplishment to do a section hike of any long trail. The logistics, never quite getting those trail legs, and just having to stick to something for over a decade says alot. Great job.

well done, sir. congratulations.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++