WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Ok to use a larger capacity pack that isn't full?

This is kind of a strange question, but I just recently purchased a used Kelty Redcloud 5400 (almost 90L) hiking pack.

For the price, I couldn't pass it up, and it feels great on my back.

But, I will have some space to spare when I get everything in it for my section hike next year. Is it ok to just use the cinch straps on the bag to tighten everything up to keep it from moving around, or should I be looking for a smaller bag that everything I have will fill to capacity?

How much does that beast weigh empty and how much does your gear weigh?

If its comfortable there is no reason not to use it that I can see.

Still acquiring gear, so don't have a base weight just yet.

BUT it does weigh right under 6lbs. Doesn't feel like it on the back, which is why I snagged it up

One of the big pluses of external frame packs, is they carry the same regardless of how loaded they are. You should be fine, even if only half full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by taylorshiver View Post
    Still acquiring gear, so don't have a base weight just yet.

BUT it does weigh right under 6lbs. Doesn't feel like it on the back, which is why I snagged it up
    A lot of people have pack, bag, pad, and tent that combined weigh under 6 lbs. Every ounce counts.

Be careful or you WILL fill it up.

The only problem with the weight of the pack is the weight ... not of the load, but of the pack.

That said, how long is the section you are doing? ...if it is relatively short, say a week or so, go for it. There is no teacher so great as is experience (assuming the experience doesn't kill you), and one week with a heavy pack will be a great experience, a great teacher. IF on the other hand you are doing a LONG section (weeks or months on the trail) ... then do some short trial hikes first so that YOU can decide if it is worth it or not to carry all that extra, unnecessary, weight.

When I was younger man I carried a Kelty Serac, no cinch straps, 6500 cu in, if I remember correctly, inside the pack ... plus I had the top bar for my tent, and straps on the back for my poles and pad ... it is a beast of a pack ... I loved it, I still do. I regularly carried 43-45# plus any water I was carrying. BUT, on the AT my base weight is 12# ... my pack is 1lb 10.4oz ... I'm glad I'm not carrying that much weight anymore. But, it is a choice I've made now that I'm not a young as I used to be.

Basically, I would encourage you to get your own experience ... so you can make your own choices!!!!

Kelty doesn't automatically mean external frame.
    https://www.rei.com/product/734303/k...loud-5600-pack
    As I learned in Wyoming, WhiteBlaze is not indicative of the real world of backpacking.
    People find gear they like and use it. If it works for you, use it.
    It was neat to find another mid-90s Dana Design pack on the trail. Good gear will always work.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by taylorshiver View Post
    or should I be looking for a smaller bag that everything I have will fill to capacity?
    Guess you shouldn't. In my opinion, you can take anything that will fit for you and this is the key point. Thus, if it's ok to use the cinch straps and this is comfy - go on, there's no need to looking for a smaller bag.

I once bought an 85 liter on Craigslist because I couldn't beat the price and figure I could use when I took my kids....

2 years later it has never been used. Why? Its too big and heavy. In this day and age there's really no reason to go over 65 or 70 liters and 3 or 4 #. When I take one son and all of his gear I still use a 70.

If you're hell bent on using it, go load up and hike. Up and down. That's where it gets you the most. The more I hike the more I want less. I spend the most time moving so I personally care more about my pack, my back and my feet than camp comforts .

You'll know when you hit the point of diminishing returns in backpacks.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

There is one of these hanging on my equipment wall. It hasn't been moved in years. It is a internal frame pack, one of the first made. It is very heavy. The brain box is not removable.
    That being said it is a good starting point. Dial in your gear, then select a pack that better suits your needs. Just be careful not to overfill it. You could easily get 60 lbs. or more in this beast.
    Except for the mesh water bottle pockets it is good for bushwhacking , the material is heavy cordura nylon. Or keep it for a loaner if you invite a friend to hike with you.

Be careful with your approach to gear. I know you're looking for other items
    If you say 6 lbs is ok for a pack, and find a steal on a tent for 6 lbs as well, fast forward and you're going to be carting around 50 lbs when you could have been hauling 20.

Not sure how that pack would ride part full, but it should be ok. It's more about where the weight is positioned on your back (eg: not too much at your lower back, not too much riding too high, etc)

6 lbs. is a lot, for just the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    There is one of these hanging on my equipment wall. It hasn't been moved in years. It is a internal frame pack, one of the first made. It is very heavy. The brain box is not removable.
    That being said it is a good starting point. Dial in your gear, then select a pack that better suits your needs. Just be careful not to overfill it. You could easily get 60 lbs. or more in this beast.
    Except for the mesh water bottle pockets it is good for bushwhacking , the material is heavy cordura nylon. Or keep it for a loaner if you invite a friend to hike with you.
    This is the pack I got. I do wish the brain was removable.

That was my main worry, was how it would ride with just being half full. Didn't know if it would mess up the weight distribution.

There's a reason it was such a "good deal"

My pack, shelter, quilt, air mat and pillow together weigh 4.1 lbs.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 09-29-2017 at 08:29.

I understand many people are ultra light weight, but this will be my first backpacking hike, and will be a 3 day section of the AT.

My only worries of my current pack are if I can get the load/balance correct by only filling it halfway, and having the option of filling it all the way up

I figure the savings from the pack now gives me a little more extra to go towards a better sleeping bag.

So far I have the Kelty pack, and an REI Passage 1 tent I will be using. Sleeping pad will most likely be a Thermarest CCF.

I am sure after a few section hikes I will get the bug and start going UL, but I want to make sure I get that bug first.

Thanks everyone for all of the info and responses!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++