WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Hammock Tent Hybrid

I've hiked a couple of sections on the AT using a tent. This summer, I hiked the NPT in the Adirondacks. I bought a cheap Wal-Mart hammock (no mosquito net, no rain tarp, to quilt liner - just the basic hammock and straps) and threw it in my pack. Figured I'd give it a try and if I didn't like it, I wouldn't be out much money. I LOVED IT! I wore my mosquito head net and net shirt a couple nights when the bugs were annoying. When it rained, I just draped my rain poncho over myself. I woke up wet, but still slept like a baby. One night, it looked like rain, so I set up tent. Within an hour of tossing and turning, I went out in my hammock in the rain and slept great. I did need to use my sleeping pad to keep warm in the hammock. But I was able to roll back and forth or sleep on my back and I loved being out in the open air.

So, I think it's pretty clear that I'm a hammock girl. Here's my question. Either 2018 or 2019 I plan on thru-hiking the AT. Is the majority of the AT hammock friendly? Enough trees? And in the spots that a hammock won't work, what then? Should I research tent hammock hybrids? Or what do the people with regular hammocks do when there aren't trees around?

Sorry if my questions are a little goofy - just want to make sure I get as much info as I can!

Is the majority of the AT hammock friendly? Enough trees?

Yes and yes.

And in the spots that a hammock won't work, what then?

AT lean to's, AMC huts, in town stays, and going to the ground cowboy camping under fair weather.

Should I research tent hammock hybrids?

Not a bad idea. Also research how some hammocks can be erected on the ground with trekking poles.

Or what do the people with regular hammocks do when there aren't trees around?

Already answered in as far as what I do.

Oooooh, the trekking poles thing has me intrigued. Going to look that up now. Thank you!

Check out the hammock forums. Those folks are insanely committed to all things about hammocking.

I thought this forum was "Hammock Camping". Ha! I'm a NOOB, so forgive me.

My hammock collapsed on a recent trip. I was using a regular tarp so no rain issues, and had a small Thermarest pad for ground insulation so slept okay. Lesson? Have an alternative for if you can't hang, and have fun.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I am planning a 2018 AT Thru Hike and haven't used a tent for 6 years now. I also know AT Thru Hikers that have used a Hammock the entire way. Although it probably never will be needed, I practice setting up my Tarp as a Tarptent on the ground, using my trekking poles. It sags a little and isn't pretty, but keeps the weather out. I am learning little improvements each time and now feel comfortable using this ground set-up in town or on a bald when trees aren't available. However, nothing beats sleeping in the trees as the hammock rocks! Hoping to do a video for my you tube channel in the near future. So don't give up on hammocking if you find it the most comfortable method to sleep.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I am hammmocking the whole way for my thru next year. Will bring a Z-lite for ground/shelter sleeping if absolutely required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost;
    the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    My hammock collapsed on a recent trip. I was using a regular tarp so no rain issues, and had a small Thermarest pad for ground insulation so slept okay. Lesson? Have an alternative for if you can't hang, and have fun.
    What do you mean it collapsed? What kind of hammock was it?

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    What do you mean it collapsed? What kind of hammock was it?
    Byers Moskito Traveler. The numerous small support lines at the head and pulled out of the fabric in rapid succession. It would have been hilarious if someone else was the victim. I sent it back to LL Bean.

Head end................

Nice! I'll go check out your YouTube channel now! Hope to see a hammock video soon!

"Z lite" .... I'll google that.

Thank you for the encouragement!

Journal Entries

Go to Hammockforums.net It is a related site but strictly for hammock hangers. You will find an area there about hammock hangs in your area that you can travel to and ask all the questions you can come up with. Good luck.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Go to Hammockforums.net It is a related site but strictly for hammock hangers. You will find an area there about hammock hangs in your area that you can travel to and ask all the questions you can come up with. Good luck.
    The first thing you'll learn/hear at HammockForums is to review as many of Shug's tutorial videos on YouTube. He's the go-to guru and does a great job educating noobs. I definitely recommend getting a head start there :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost;
    the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Journal Entries

And what he ^^^^^^ said.
    Blackheart

A tarp that you can use as a tent with hiking poles is a perfect solution for going to ground, but of course the need for ground insulation is always the issue. I have dogs and I carry a pad for them to sleep on, cut to just the right length for them to both curl up on but also for me to go to ground if necessary...they'd survive one night. It's an extra 10oz but since I have to carry it anyway, it's good to have a back-up

The AT is probably the only LD trail of the big 3 that is suited for hammocking the entire length.

I finally finished my YouTube video of how I take my HG Palace Tarp to the ground. It was three minutes too long to upload (something new to me and a real pain) so I had to devide it into two parts:

The set up:

And the take down:

Hope it helps. I’m no expert, just trying to learn as I go along.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I converted to Hammocks when Hennessy hooked me at Trail Days (14 I think). When all the sales pitch they need is " Get in and try it " you know they are doing something right. I have the Deep Jungle which is a double bottom and it comes with an insulating pad ( think windshield reflector ). I will be doing a Thru this Spring and I think I might carry an inflatable pad instead, at least thru the Smokies because of the shelter regulations, but I don't see me ever going to ground on purpose again unless the dog is with me. Don't worry if the actual setup looks tricky. You'll get the hang of it ( see what I did there ). But I will say the Hennessy is easier to master as they are designed to be hung tight instead of you trying to get the magical 30 degree angle. See you on both forums!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++