WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question How do you ruggedize your phone for the trail?

I've got an Android phone (Moto G4) which I want to take on the AT with me next year. It's not waterproof or shockproof, so I want to add some extra protection. What's the best way to go about that? I'll likely want to have a headset plugged in, so sealing it away in a plastic bag wouldn't be good for me. (The FM radio app uses the headset wire as its antenna, which is the reason for using a wired headset instead of going strictly bluetooth.)

An Otter Box would probably work to keep the phone from being damaged due to rough handling. You can make your own protective cushioning but not much beats the OBs in terms of ruggedness. That would probably be the easiest way to protect the device, though it may cost a few dollars.

Waterproof won't be an option if you want to use a plug in set of ear buds, but water resistant can be as easy as a baggie with a wire tie around the cord. It won't stop the phone from taking on water eventually or slowly if dropped in a stream, but would prevent the phone from taking on water in heavy rain when your stuff gets waterlogged.

Otterbox case for my Samsung S4.

There are mil spec androids out there. I have one as when I am jobsites it gets beat up. Its impact resistant and waterproof. The own side is the ones offered generally have fewer features and older operating systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    An Otter Box would probably work to keep the phone from being damaged due to rough handling.
    I went to otterbox.com and their newest model for Motorola phones is for the 3rd generation, so they don't accommodate G4 devices.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There are mil spec androids out there. I have one as when I am jobsites it gets beat up. Its impact resistant and waterproof. The own side is the ones offered generally have fewer features and older operating systems.
    Yeah, I'm not interested in buying a new (replacement) phone with old technology just for greater durability.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    I've got an Android phone (Moto G4) which I want to take on the AT with me next year. It's not waterproof or shockproof, so I want to add some extra protection. What's the best way to go about that? I'll likely want to have a headset plugged in, so sealing it away in a plastic bag wouldn't be good for me. (The FM radio app uses the headset wire as its antenna, which is the reason for using a wired headset instead of going strictly bluetooth.)
    https://www.yogaoutlet.com/p/aquapac...SABEgK2o_D_BwE

There is also a Pelican case, for the ultimate in waterproof durability....

https://www.adorama.com/pli1015cb.ht...yABEgLwvvD_BwE

Google is your friend...

I use a Sangean DT180 radio . Like having AM for baseball and DXing . Use a Merit case for iPhone se . Very happy with the durability of the case . Good luck finding a case .

The smartphone I'm using (Sony X3 compact) is waterproof. Other than I did take it once to a little canyoning excursion where it got fully dipped into water several times, I never really needed the waterproof ferature while hiking. Smartphones, even waterproof ones, don't work in rain anyway (raindrops on the screen will be interpreted as translated into user interaction - a most unwanted scenario). I doubt if you would have your phone running in radio mode during a downpour? More likely you would pack it away (in a waterproof bag) until better conditions.

I put my phone in a plastic casing covering its back and around the edges, and put a Gorilla glass atop the screen.
    Both accessoires saved my phone several times from demage when it dropped. Both were cheap and easy to replace.

Otterbox may not have a fit for the G4 but Google does show loads of options, including ruggedized cases.

I put my phone in my pocket and leave it there, unless I’m taking a picture. Stream crossings, I put it in a ziplock. I prefer the sounds of nature while I’m hiking, or conversations with my gf, rather than the discordant sounds techno-noise.

Journal Entries

Ziplock, in pocket

I took my several years old Motorola incredible 4g lte non waterproof anything on my AT through hike last year with no case or screen protector garbage and never had a single incident. I would ziplock bag it during rain though which limited pictures and did not use it for music so no issues with the cord. With that said, I just got a new phone and went backpacking and first day out I let it slide out of my pocket and dunk directly into the stream while trying to get water. The phone was submerged for a good few seconds. I think this phone (moto g5 plus) must be water resistant at least because the phone was unaffected.

No experience with cases as I dislike how much bulk they generally add.

Journal Entries
    Images

Otterbox for my iPhone. I accidently dropped a phone once and drop kicked it in stride. It bounced and skittered about 10' down the sidewalk. The Otterbox was beat up but the phone was fine.

The Otterbox isn't waterproof so when I go out I put it in a Loksak also. My Anker battery is also in a Loksak..

I also have a piece of cardboard cut to cover the Loksak screen to (maybe) further protect it.

My phone usually rides in the mesh pocket on the underside of my lid. If it's actively raining it goes inside the pack liner.

The phone isn't for entertainment but safety and info - "I'm ok" texts, weather, radar, etc - when there is service.

My question is - what are the most durable earbuds? My wires eventually break at the earbud or plug.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I used to keep my phone in a ziplock in my pocket, but it was a drag everytime I needed to pull it out for pictures (which tends to be fairly frequently.) I dropped the bag a few times due to wet fingers, and wasn't always confident that I had the bag closed properly. I never actually damaged the phone with water or drops, but it was a hassle and a worry and I was willing to pay for it to become a non-hassle.

My most recent phone (S7) has a Lifeproof case - waterproof & shockproof, and has an adapter that will let you use your headphones if you like. It's not cheap -- something north of $50 I think -- but worth it to me for the peace of mind.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Lifeproof cases work pretty well in my experience during a lot of small boat sailing expeditions in salt water. One would work just fine for an AT hike. Salt water in small boats is about as tough as it get for electronics, and Lifeproof passed the test for me.

I just use my standard lightweight case with tempered glass, and then have a ziplock for when it's needed. Never had an issue
    Anything truly waterproof (like the pelican case) is heavy.

They do have cases similar to the style below that are not typically very heavy, which I use canoeing to keep a gps map up, and you can use navigate through the plastic. But the annoyance would be far too much for hiking, where it's not really needed
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_i=9375358011

I treat my ancient iPhone 5s the same no matter where I am. Carefully.
    Double Ziplock bags handy when backpacking.
    I haven't broken it in daily use for years. Why would I suddenly break it in the woods?
    Think about it. The phone gets virtually no use in a backpacking situation. Where I go I loose cell coverage miles before I leave pavement. Then another 30-40 miles on dirt roads. Then more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Otterbox for my Samsung Galaxy 5(?) 6(?) plus a screen cover. Dropped, rained on, puddles, etc. with no problem until I dropped it on a granite sidewalk in Vermont. Cracked the screen in a "Y" formation, but this has NO effect on functionality.

Played my music from my phone in the wet and rain with NO problems.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++