WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best hiking stove for boat use?

I am looking for suggestions on a stove to use on a boat. The background on this is I am a pretty regular SCUBA diver and a part time hiker. With the weather turning colder, I am looking to get a hiking style stove to use on a boat. Two reasons for this: 1. Hot food and hot drinks are quite pleasant when climbing out from being under cold (by FL standards) water. 2. We have been invaded by venomous lion fish and I have been stung before. It sucks bad. The best and only treatment is immersion of the sting in hot water. So I would like to have a way to make some hot water on a boat.

This will be for boiling water only. I don't need it to simmer or anything like that. Being wind resistant is important. Being stable is important. I would like the pot and stove to lock together if possible and I will still be holding it the whole time I am cooking with it to keep it from tipping over. Unlike my hiking stove, I don't care what this one weighs. I am only causally familiar with stoves because I hike with a homemade alcohol stove. No way would I try and use that thing on the boat. I am looking for a stable wind resistant jet boil style stove.

Suggestions?

Journal Entries
    Images

Jetboil makes a hanging kit. You'll either want something like that or a gimball on the water.
    -john Tanzer 25 Akoni (93227)
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Alcohol stoves are common on sail boats. Get a US boat catalog.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I am a hiker, and a professoinal mariner who has lived and worked on boats for the last 13 years.

Hiking stoves are built to be as light as possible, and to stow compactly. While I have several, I don't use them on boats because the center of gravity is generally too high.

the suggestion above for a gimbal is excellent, but only if you have a dedicated place for it. I have a gimballed stove on my boat based on an old 'sea swing' unit that I use off shore and for passages.

in my opinion and experience, the best stove for what you are talking about is an inexpensive butane stove. The kind that takes a small cyl that is enclosed in the unit... the advantage is that they are low and flat, and you can buy a ring that will retain the pot or kettle so it does not slide off in a moderate sea. I have used them on many boats over the years, and found them quite a satisfactory answer. While they don't work in really rough seas, my experience is that you generally are not going to be cooking then unless it is to heat something up like you mit on a passage.

Avoid the propane two burner units since they are too large and the arm that the propane cyl attaches to is not easily set up on most surfaces.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Something like this one; http://a.co/6vZhARy

$18... easy to tryout without too much risk.

avoid the Kenyon unit sold my West Marine, it is stainless which sounds good but the mechanical parts (the safety release from the gas) is the same stamped mild steel as the cheaper units.... they don't hold up any longer then the cheap ones in my experience.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

While I use white gas stoves for hiking, please do not consider one for boat use. Fumes can settle in the bilges and explode. Canister stoves have some risk but apparently are safe with proper ventilation. Please get advice from boat safety folks.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries

Many a small cuddy cabin powerboat has an alcohol fueled marine stove in galley.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-01-2017 at 23:18.

Different suggestions than what I was expecting, which is good. There is no galley on the boat. I'll be using this on the deck either in rod holder or most likely just holding it still somewhere.

Garlic
    Images

I think one of the reasons for alcohol on marine stoves is that alcohol is a polar solvent and will dilute in water. Water is a good way to extinguish an alcohol fire. When I use an alcohol stove and need to simmer, I add water to the hot fuel to cool it down a bit.

I’ve used the stainless propane grill from west marine that stays in place via the the rod holder...probably overkill for simply boiling water, we use it to cook up fresh undersized fish that jumped on our spear after they were filleted and released of course..... That said I’ve used a jet boil several times sitting on the deck of my sup...probably not the smartest thing but at midnight I’ll do anything for caffeine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not into boating but denatured alcohol is marine fuel and what I use in my trangia great little stove despite you not needing to simmer with one you actually can with them. They are damn stable little stoves to maybe get a sterno stove and a trangia I'd say sterno but the alcohol stoves boil water way faster
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Given your request of good in the wind, attached pot, and able to hold while cooking (not recommended, but possible) . . . the MSR WindBoiler or Reactor stoves are the best I've seen. They are slightly heavier than the JetBoil stoves, but much more wind resistant and since they are not an open-flame stove, they may be less prone to flame flareups when the fuel canister is being moved around sloshing fuel across the exit valve.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Just buy a few flasks and boil water before departing

Journal Entries

Hiking gear in general is not meant for salt water exposure.

Get whatever stove Frank Dye used. I saw a photo ages ago of Frank holding a stove between his feet in the bilge of his Wayfarer dinghy. Somewhere in the North Sea. I think it was one of the kerosene burning Scandinavian expedition stoves from the 60s. Whatever it was, it worked. All the way to Iceland.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...gerous-journey
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I would go with a Coleman two burner stove like they sell at Walmart for the sheer stability of it. Most backpacking stoves won't be stable enough on a boat unless it is very calm water.

Images

This stove has the ability to be very safe due to the fact that once the fuel is put into it, it won't spill out. The windscreen fits tight to the pot and will prevent side to side tipping.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...98#post2175198

Last edited by zelph; 10-21-2017 at 10:55.

Alcohol works on small boats. The Trangia Storm Cooker System would be my first choice. It is substantial enough to be anchored in place and be blown overboard by the slightest hint of a breeze.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Correction: NOT be blown overboard.
    Wayne

I never did update this so here is a late update. I bought the bigger Jet Boil and I just hold the stove on the console behind the windshield the whole time I have the fire on. Since it only takes like 2 minutes, it works great! I can even fit my hand in the cup if I get stung.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++