WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Observations

Default Observations

A group of 4 of us did a quick overnighter from Humpback to Wildcat Ridge in Shenandoah and was disappointed in some things I saw. I know no one on here is probably doing these things but wanted to post in hopes of creating awareness.

Trash,trash and more trash. I saw more wrappers, water bottles and pieces of plastic on the trail then ever before. We probably picked up 40 pieces between us as we hiked.

Poo....as in human poo. As in piles of human poo within 6 inches....OF THE TRAIL!!! There was one section with 5 miles within a mile north of calf mountain!!! I thought maybe someone had a rough go but soon realized each pile had different looking TP. They didn't even bother making a single pile of waste. Yeah, that's how close it was. Disgusting and borderline immoral.

Tents in shelters again. We got to calf mountain around 530. 3 tents were set up and 2 pads were empty. Someone decided to pitch their tent In the shelter. Why are people still doing this? There was a group of 6 or 7 congregating around the fire so I'm guessing there were friends in the shelter they wanted to join.

Again, I know most folks on here don't do any of the above. I just was left feeling mildly disappointed by it all.

It must be remembered that the trail in Shenandoah is right next to a highway so I would expect beaucoup trash and human poop piles.

One Question---Were you aware or disturbed by motorcycle noise during your trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It must be remembered that the trail in Shenandoah is right next to a highway so I would expect beaucoup trash and human poop piles.

One Question---Were you aware or disturbed by motorcycle noise during your trip?
    Valid point on SNP. The trash was actually worse outside the park and the poop piles inside.

Funny you mention that - we spent a lot of time debating about the motorcycle noise. It was bad at calf mountain until about 930.

As an ex-racer, I LOVE motorcycle noise...

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPete View Post
    As an ex-racer, I LOVE motorcycle noise...
    You'll love SNP, then.

Harleys ain't motorcycles!

They need a law(and signage) saying that pooping within 15 feet of a trail, water source or camp area is public urination and therefore a sex crime that will get you on the sex offender registry. Definitely one of my pet peeves, especially with the dirty toiled paper thrown around.

Nothing like turning a corner and getting swarmed by a flock of blackflies that were just playing in a big pile of poo, which you are now inhaling the smell of.

Having been a mountain biker for years I was impressed with something the folks out in Fruita have done on some of their trails. Particularly on their "beginner" trail. Every several yards is a sign with some trail etiquette. Just a note about how to behave on the trail etc. Perhaps in some of these heavy-trafficked areas something like this is in order on the AT. I would think if nothing else a sign at the shelters that reads, "DO NOT SETUP TENTS INSIDE THE SHELTER" might at least put a dent in some of this. The poop on the trail, well that's just wrong. You almost question someone's humanity over that kind of crap! (ahem)

We did a thru in SNP in early August and found nothing like you describe.
    (Other than some trash stuff in the fire places by the shelters.)
    Maybe a particular group moved through the area.
    (I think it was bear feces in the middle of the trail. No TP.)

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    You'll love SNP, then.
    And I do...

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Harleys ain't motorcycles!
    But they are, and they sound great!

go to real wilderness. stay off man-made trails

Well as to why its still done.....
    Prior to this site
    I sometimes didnt pick up a stray piece of trash if I dropped it...after all it was just a tiny piece of trash and no big deal.

Now I know better.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    Valid point on SNP. The trash was actually worse outside the park and the poop piles inside.

Funny you mention that - we spent a lot of time debating about the motorcycle noise. It was bad at calf mountain until about 930.
    You should have pleasure of hearing the drag races from the waynesboro speedway all night there ...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Having been a mountain biker for years I was impressed with something the folks out in Fruita have done on some of their trails. Particularly on their "beginner" trail. Every several yards is a sign with some trail etiquette. Just a note about how to behave on the trail etc. Perhaps in some of these heavy-trafficked areas something like this is in order on the AT. I would think if nothing else a sign at the shelters that reads, "DO NOT SETUP TENTS INSIDE THE SHELTER" might at least put a dent in some of this. The poop on the trail, well that's just wrong. You almost question someone's humanity over that kind of crap! (ahem)
    A sign in the shelter would be easy to do. Ideally it seems like the club maintaining that area should do this, but maybe there's some bureaucratic reason preventing it from happening. Maybe we should take the initiative?

Signs along the trail itself would arouse the "how dare you spoil my view" crowd. And while they have a point, the trash and poo kinda spoils it already.

Was it the speedway really? We argued in circles if it was speedway or hotshots on skyline

Heard Summit Point up near Harpers Ferry, and Limerock Park all day south of Falls Village CT.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huntmog View Post
    Was it the speedway really? We argued in circles if it was speedway or hotshots on skyline
    Theres no burnouts and squeaing rubber drag racing on skyline drive, dark twisty road, in a national park, for hours continuously at night. Theres elways just plain motorcycles and cars though.
    There is eastside speedway, north of waynesboro. If you at calf mtn on friday or sat, you got good chance to hear hours of drag racing in eveming. Check their schedule so you at least know what listening to.

http://www.eastsidespeedway.biz
    http://racingvirginia.com/schedule.aspx?path=eside
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-02-2017 at 07:16.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Signs along the trail itself would arouse the "how dare you spoil my view" crowd. And while they have a point, the trash and poo kinda spoils it already.

Good point. And understood. Maybe etiquette signs in the shelters too.

I just did the Southern half of SNP a week ago and saw none of this. There were some poo piles, with no TP around, which I attributed to animals. I saw a few wrappers and bottles, which I picked up, but nothing worse than anywhere else on the trail out of the SNP.

++ New Posts ++