WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

We've been looking into flights from the tri cities ( Johnson city, Tn). Fresno is 2 1/2 hrs and Sacramento is 3 3/4 hrs from Yosemite. One flight would have us getting to Sac around 12:30pm and I think Fresno was around 1:00pm. That'd give us plenty of time to hit the valley if no problems arise.

Does anyone know of a faster way from Reno? The computer says its 5 1/2 hours. We'd be good with Tioga pass too. We aren't through hiking. We'll be doing a different loop in the park. We just got our map yesterday to start planning.

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    We've been looking into flights from the tri cities ( Johnson city, Tn). Fresno is 2 1/2 hrs and Sacramento is 3 3/4 hrs from Yosemite. One flight would have us getting to Sac around 12:30pm and I think Fresno was around 1:00pm. That'd give us plenty of time to hit the valley if no problems arise.

Does anyone know of a faster way from Reno? The computer says its 5 1/2 hours. We'd be good with Tioga pass too. We aren't through hiking. We'll be doing a different loop in the park. We just got our map yesterday to start planning.
    When I did JMT few years back, due to permit issues i......

Flew from Jax, Fl to LAX to Mammoth.....easy logistics....stayed at Cinnamon bear inn. Easy permit from devils, Reds nobo to Yosemite and caught the shuttle bus back to mammoth back to my hotel where stayed first night where my resupply box waited. Next day sobo to Whitney. From Lone pine caught the ESTA to Reno to Jax....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Reno Eastern Sierra Transit gets you to Mammoth Lakes about 5:15pm. https://www.estransit.com/routes-sch...-pine-to-reno/

The next morning YARTS gets you to Tuolumne Meadows. http://yarts.com/routes-and-schedule...semite-valley/

Amtrak can get you from Fresno or Sacramento to Yosemite.

Many thanks, Berserker. I will check out your JMT trip report.

Charlie

The other white meat

Not sure if your still planning, but I thought I would throw out some options and ideas.
    For the permit... One little-known alternative is to start at the Mono/Parker Pass trail head a few miles down the road from Tuolumne Meadows. Much easier to obtain this permit than the traditional entry points. This option does not exit Yosemite at Donahue, so it isn't part of the current quota. It also joins the JMT at Thousand Island Lake and is approximately the same mileage as the JMT is to that spot from Tuolumne. If wanting to do the whole trail, then day hike the missing section prior to or after your hike.
    For transport logistics... What was easiest for me and what could get someone on the trail in one day if desired, is to fly to San Francisco or other nearby airport and rent a car "one-way" from Hertz to Mammoth Lakes. Drop off the car at the Hertz in Mammoth and hitch to the trail. Easy hitch, but took three rides to get to Tuolumne area. If you live at low elevation and aren't in a hurry, I'd recommend spending the night at Mammoth to get a head start on acclimatization since its at 7000 ft.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by csullivan View Post
    Is anyone else on this forum planning on doing the JMT next summer? Ideally, I would like to begin around the 20th of August, with possible starting dates going through the 10th of September.
    I have a permit for 3, starting Aug 28 at Happy Isles, finishing Sept 20 at Whitney Portal. Friends are now fighting over the extra spots. Not really, but definitely more than 2 really good hikers on the wait list.

I'm enjoying reading and learning from your thread here about logistics, etc. Very helpful!
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++