WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Grinning. Just trying to keep you straight.
    I'll try to behave. All in good fun.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Look at Uniqlo.com for cheap ultralight down jackets. Look at SectionHiker's blog and Andrew Skurka's blog for some cheap light gear ideas.

I'd go with three pairs of socks. Taking care of your feet will become one of your major priorities. You WILL want Dry socks.

I'd suggest tenting at first, and later when it warms up using a hammock. Get a tarp tent or something lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by booney_1 View Post
    I'd go with three pairs of socks. Taking care of your feet will become one of your major priorities. You WILL want Dry socks.

I'd suggest tenting at first, and later when it warms up using a hammock. Get a tarp tent or something lighter.
    3rd pair of socks is heavier and warmer than my hiking socks and hermetically sealed with my sleeping jammies to keep them dry at all costs.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Looks like a nice set up. Enjoy the journey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Sovi, we are departing o/a the same day and we had an eerily similar thought on the hammock/tent consideration. I am vlogging my trip and just walked my viewers through the evolution of my shelter system. In my case, I was carrying a hammock as the preferred option and hooped bivy for the worst weather (in or out of a shelter). As a system, I was suspending the bivy under my hammock with a poncho liner as an insulating layer and it had worked pretty well with a 15 degree bag. My decision was made for me, however, when my spouse wanted to join for parts of the hike and I ended up with Copper Spur UL2. I dropped a little over a pound in weight doing so and, although I am still longing for making a warm weather gear swap and going to the hammock, I know in my heart that you and I will be hiking Spring all the way to Katadhin (as ER71 did) and never really get warm. I am definitely heavier on the cold weather gear than your list but I will be really interested to see how this plays out with you. My last comment since, again, you are at the same decision point as myself, is about boot/shoes. I have tried several sets of shoes and prefer them but, like the hammock, the decision to leave in Feb has led me to try the Inov8 325s and gaitors as a compromise. I will let you know how they work out for me, and be interested which way you go.
    Please view YouTube channel “Thru-hiking with Scars” for updates on my 2018 Charity AT Thru-hike, supporting the Cancer Research Institute

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++