WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bear question: Bag vs Canister?

I'm planning my first section hike NOBO from Springer to Deep Gap in either Spring or Fall 2017. I can't decide between a bear canister or a bag? I was leaning toward a canister because I'm super short and don't know how I'd manage to hang a bag (I'm 5 foot). Any input? Oh! And my food is all going to be dehydrated and vacuum sealed. 10 days worth. I don't know it that makes a difference or not.
    I got tired of listening to them tell me how to live. I am my own person and this is my journey.

Journal Entries

Virtually no one uses a cannister on the AT, because arent required.
    Except one little 5 mile section in spring from Jarrard Gap to Neel Gap.

You arent going to get 10 days of that food in any reasonable size cannister, nor will you want carry it. Plan to resupply at Neel Gap (no brainer), and probably Hiawassee, or not.
    If you want to bring a cannister, its a great idea, go for it imo, although its not really needed.
    Personally, I would like to see them required everywhere, to protect bears and avoid problems .
    The bear cannisters worked absolute wonders in the Sierra, a tremendous success story.

Even 1 or 2 bears killed per year as a result of stupid people is too many. It would make people more respectful of wildlife. Also make them leave behind some of the crap they end up leaving in woods anyway. If lazy people would just stay home as well, so much the better.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-11-2016 at 15:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Hawk View Post
    I'm planning my first section hike NOBO from Springer to Deep Gap in either Spring or Fall 2017. I can't decide between a bear canister or a bag? I was leaning toward a canister because I'm super short and don't know how I'd manage to hang a bag (I'm 5 foot). Any input? Oh! And my food is all going to be dehydrated and vacuum sealed. 10 days worth. I don't know it that makes a difference or not.
    I use an Ursack, but it would be hard pressed to get 10 days worth of food in there. It's really more to keep mice away from my goodies.

I say 10 days as a safety. It'll be more like 8. I suppose I could resupply.
    I got tired of listening to them tell me how to live. I am my own person and this is my journey.

Use a bear bag. Look up the PCT method of bear bagging on YouTube. It works like a champ. Your height is not a factor to perform this properly.

I've carried 9-10 days of food once. I'll never do that again if I can help it. Resupply if at all possible.

Happy trails!
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I use a food bag. It weighs an ounce. The bear proof bags are to heavy. And the canister....forget it.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Oh the weight of the canister. Go with a bear bag. But the canister does make for a perfect seat....
    Be Prepared

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Ballpark bear canister calculations... you'll need about 100 cubic inches of space per day (and even then you are packing extremely tight or you're not getting enough calories).
    The two largest bear canisters include the Bear Vault BV500 with something like 750cuin, weights about 2-1/2 pounds at a cost of around $80, and the Bearikade Expedition with something just under 1,000cuin, weights about 2 pounds at a cost of around $375 (because it's made of carbon fiber to be the lightest canisters for their size.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Hawk View Post
    Whether you are short or tall or strong or weak should really not make any difference when hanging a bear bag.

A bit a practice in the back yard or local park can help.

Some things to consider are having a small pouch you can put rock in to tie to the end of your cord, and rather than attempting an overhand throw, simply twirl the weighted end of the line like a windmill and just let the line go to send it over the branch.

Of course if your pouch gets bit stuck up there and you need to pull it hard to retrieve, be careful not to bonk yourself in the head .

Images

Bear bag.

10 days of food is 15-20 pounds depending upon your needs. Instead, consider resupplying at Neel Gap and Dick's Creek Gap (Hiawassee).
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

I use an Ursak Minor. Not for bears, but for rodent protection. It only weights maybe 2 or 3 ounces more than a typically sized silnylon food bag. Resupply during your section hike and just properly hang your food in a rodent-proof bag. If you do these things, you should not have problems with any critters getting at your food. Enjoy your hike.

If you Hang your bag PCT method you will be fine. If you are near a shelter you can use their bear cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I use a canister only where the law says I must. One of those places is Eastern High Peaks in the Adirondacks, where you can't use a BearVault, so an expen$ive Bearikade may be in my future. Right now, I've just been there a few times, with a rented Garcia can.

I can't see where your height would make a big difference in being able to hang a bag. It doesn't involve reaching or climbing, just slinging a rock or 'biner tied to a line. It doesn't even take a great throwing arm if you learn the technique of whirling and casting. Oh yes, and how to coil the line so that it will pay out cleanly. That's probably the trickiest bit to learn, but makes a huge difference in your quality of life on the trail.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I use a canister only where the law says I must. One of those places is Eastern High Peaks in the Adirondacks, where you can't use a BearVault, so an expen$ive Bearikade may be in my future. Right now, I've just been there a few times, with a rented Garcia can.

I can't see where your height would make a big difference in being able to hang a bag. It doesn't involve reaching or climbing, just slinging a rock or 'biner tied to a line. It doesn't even take a great throwing arm if you learn the technique of whirling and casting. Oh yes, and how to coil the line so that it will pay out cleanly. That's probably the trickiest bit to learn, but makes a huge difference in your quality of life on the trail.
    i thought the trickiest thing was people learning not to step on the line. Funniest thing to see them sling the rock up , and it comes right straight back at them.

Images

At the end of a day of hiking the last thing I want to do is attempt to throw a rock perfectly over a branch to hang a bag. I have carried a canister for over 2000 miles of AT section hikes. No bears or other critters have ever gotten one scrap of my food.

Default Bear question: Bag vs Canister?

I'm giving this bag a try. it is supposed to be a complete odor barrier and very lightweight. I'm using it to line my "bear bag" we'll see. BaseCamp Odor-Barrier Bag, Assorted https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GHH5GK4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_SgUtyb89QMFCD

Ack to the can unless required. Learn to throw a rock over a tree branch....don't forget to hang your bag a good 100 yards away from your tent....I know the bear cables are right next to the shelters....don't forget to hang your bag a good 100 yards from your tent....get some Lawson line or slick rope...

We used to just string a sil nylon bag up trees or poles. Have had more problems with critters than bears. Recently got the Ursack Major. Big enough for 10 days of food, especially if the critters don't spoil any. Will be using poles when available, otherwise, following the Ursack instructions.

Bag.
    Hawk Mtn Campsite 7.4(7.4) Boxes
    Gooch Mtn Shelter 8.4(15.8) Cables
    Lance Creek Campground 8.7(24.5) Cables
    Low Gap 18.7( 43.2) Cables
    Blue Mtn Shelter 7.3(50.5) Cables
    Tray Mtn 8(58.5) Cables

May not all work with your mileage but if you camp elsewhere I'm sure you'll have no problem finding someone to hang your bear bag with. I'm pretty sure someone else hung my bag for me with their's for all of Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Bear proof boxes have been placed at all popular spots in GA this year. A bear canister is not need just use a line when stealth camping.
    Please remember, pack out you trash. The bear proof containers are not trash cans and the volunteer ridge runners are not garbage collectors.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++