WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I personally would stay away from anything Big Agnes. I hiked on the PCT this last season with my wife. We started off with a UL3 copper spur, that we bought through backcountry BTW. The test completely fell apart, bug netting failed, both zippers failed, which was common for all BA tents. Then getting BA to warranty anything during a through hike was an absolute nightmare. If you are going to get one, to yourself a favor, just pay the extra and get it through REI, because when it fails you just take it back to REI, Backcountry has great prices but they only warranty anything they sell for 30 days, so you will have to deal with BA. This is what they expect you to do to warranty on a thru-hike. 1. they will not accept pictures! 2. they want to to pay for what ever part upfront and pay shipping of the old part back to them. 3. Then they will look at the old part you sent them to see if it is warranty, and they will charge you accordingly. I warrrantied alot of stuff last year on my hike, EVERBODY else just sent me another one. I ended up with a Tarptent Saddle2 and it is awesome light weight easy to use and durable, you can really tell the difference in at tent made my someone who cares and one made in a sweatshop in Vietnam, the stitching materials and the finish are just in different leagues.

Time for some popcorn

A lot of BA and Nemo tents out there this year. I own a Fly Creek 2, fond of it, most people were. People who had the "Platinum" BA didn't like them - too much mesh, no privacy, no splash/sand protection near the ground level. The 1lb,15oz weight is without stakes, so... plan accordingly. There's a sweet way to pitch just the fly using some string to act as a footprint, google it.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

BA Copper Spur was the single most common tent I saw during my JMT thru. The night I was camped near Guitar Lake, something like 10-15% of campers were in Copper Spurs. About the only thing more common was an Osprey back pack.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 before and didn't like it. The tent is a bit smaller (in floor space and volume) than comparable tents (such as the Copper Spur). Getting into the tent felt about like getting into a sleeping bag. I much prefer the side entry.

However, the single head entry and smaller size means it's a lighter tent than comparable tents.

But at the Steep and Cheap price point, I would definitely consider this tent if you up-side it (meaning utilize a Fly Creek UL2 as a 1-person tent, or the UL3 as a 2-person tent).
    at the REI garage sale there were three of those.

I ended up in checkout behind a tiny tiny girl buying one and a larger gentleman who happened to have returned that tent.

It seemed the right choice for both (both the return and the purchase).

Save yourself the hassle, you've already listed one of the best shelters available. Go with the lightweight, generous space, single hiking pole Lunar Solo.

Tarptent Rainbows are right around your price range. I'm a big fan!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nate.2346 View Post
    Tarptent Rainbows are right around your price range. I'm a big fan!
    Good to hear... I've considered tarptent as a new purchase if and when I take my son on a thru hike of something like the JMT or Wonderland trail. I currently use a "large" 2P tent when we camp in GSMNP, but it's a little on the heavy side for two people, and as he gets larger, I want something with more room.

“Extremely coveted” ??

Quote Originally Posted by RamboJuice View Post
    I personally would stay away from anything Big Agnes. I hiked on the PCT this last season with my wife. We started off with a UL3 copper spur, that we bought through backcountry BTW. The test completely fell apart, bug netting failed, both zippers failed, which was common for all BA tents. Then getting BA to warranty anything during a through hike was an absolute nightmare. If you are going to get one, to yourself a favor, just pay the extra and get it through REI, because when it fails you just take it back to REI, Backcountry has great prices but they only warranty anything they sell for 30 days, so you will have to deal with BA. This is what they expect you to do to warranty on a thru-hike. 1. they will not accept pictures! 2. they want to to pay for what ever part upfront and pay shipping of the old part back to them. 3. Then they will look at the old part you sent them to see if it is warranty, and they will charge you accordingly. I warrrantied alot of stuff last year on my hike, EVERBODY else just sent me another one. I ended up with a Tarptent Saddle2 and it is awesome light weight easy to use and durable, you can really tell the difference in at tent made my someone who cares and one made in a sweatshop in Vietnam, the stitching materials and the finish are just in different leagues.
    Does Franco have 2 logins?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Does Franco have 2 logins?
    I think that's a huge stretch to even hint at.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    I think that's a huge stretch to even hint at.
    Also reads nothing like Franco, and it isn't his 'style' to bash.

Mighty suspicious of a first-time, one-poster that includes a line like "The test completely fell apart, bug netting failed, both zippers failed, which was common for all BA tents."

Really?? lol I'm personally not a fan of BA products but I've seen plenty of them on the trail and this simply isn't true.

Agreed. I've only had one of their tents (a Seedhouse SL2), but between me and a friend that eventually inherited it, it performed flawlessly for ten years before the seam tape disintegrated.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++