WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tent Suggestions?

Has anyone had any experience with either of these tents on a thru hike? I'm looking at the SMD Lunar Solo LE, it weighs about 1 lbs 8 oz for $180 w/out seamseal (would seal it myself). I also really like the Big Agnus Fly Creek HV UL2. It weighs about 1 lbs 15 oz and costs $389; waiting for BA to be on sale at EMS.

Steepandcheap.com rules, EMS drools

Here ya go https://www.steepandcheap.com/big-ag...EwMDIwMDUwOA==

Bought my daughter one, not freestanding, but what is, nice straight walls, when staked out properly, mesh at end close to ground, so if desert camping possibility for sand to enter. Easier exit/entry if you're limber

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I've borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 before and didn't like it. The tent is a bit smaller (in floor space and volume) than comparable tents (such as the Copper Spur). Getting into the tent felt about like getting into a sleeping bag. I much prefer the side entry.

However, the single head entry and smaller size means it's a lighter tent than comparable tents.

But at the Steep and Cheap price point, I would definitely consider this tent if you up-side it (meaning utilize a Fly Creek UL2 as a 1-person tent, or the UL3 as a 2-person tent).

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I've borrowed a Fly Creek UL1 before and didn't like it. The tent is a bit smaller (in floor space and volume) than comparable tents (such as the Copper Spur). Getting into the tent felt about like getting into a sleeping bag. I much prefer the side entry.

However, the single head entry and smaller size means it's a lighter tent than comparable tents.

But at the Steep and Cheap price point, I would definitely consider this tent if you up-side it (meaning utilize a Fly Creek UL2 as a 1-person tent, or the UL3 as a 2-person tent).
    I agree on the front entry, young and limber, versus old and treacherous. BA did increase entry height with the HV, high volume, changes, but it's still pretty low. They also put a larger eyebrow above the entry to lessen impact of rain inside. The UL2 version is only 5 ounces or so heavier than the UL1, so it's a no brainer to go for the extra space.

I haven't seen any CS's on SNC for awhile. Maybe later this winter they'll get some for sale.

SMD Lunar Solo LE. Definitely! I recently spent a week in Wyoming with a friend who had the Lunar Solo LE. It worked perfectly. I was using my new, HUGE StratoSpire 1. I was envious of the lack of weight and packed size of the Lunar Solo. The price can't be beat. Set up is a breeze. In good weather, we both used our tents as ground cloths for cowboy camping. PERFECT!
    Definitely. Lunar Solo LE.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Honestly, I hated my Lunar Solo and couldn't wait to pass it on after 1 night. I didn't like the head room, or the steep walls and floor space. I also have two dogs if that makes a difference...and it was a very tight fit, and they couldn't stand up or get in easily.

However, a lot of people like them and the friend Venchka mentioned loved hers...I was with them also briefly. They are really solid in wind and made well.

For the price and quality, the Lunar Solo can't be beat, but I ended up with the ZPacks Duplex and wish I'd gone that route to start with.

Instead of the FC UL2 you might want to look at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL too...so much better with the side entry vs the head entry of the Fly Creek.

Shallow walls, not steep walls

I have a hiking buddy who uses the Lunar Solo and really likes it. It is indeed a quick pitching shelter. I've inspected it up close and think I could get used to it, but I am pretty sure it would not work for me and my 65 lb pooch.

However, I have a Duplex which has been my primary shelter when the pooch is with me. Other times I use a tarp+bivy and, in the winter, a silnylon Duomid.

Lunar Solo
    Lunar_Solo_medium.jpg

i'm 5'2" so space is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker4Jesus View Post
    i'm 5'2" so space is not a problem.
    My friend’s tent selection criteria: Under 2 pounds. Under $200.
    @ 5’-2” the Lunar Solo will be spacious for you.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Check steep and cheap right now and also REI garage and regular REI [I]both[I]for the Big Agnes because they are on sale.

Seam sealing tents belong to yesterday. I still have a few, I like them but I would not choose one if I were to buy today.

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Seam sealing tents belong to yesterday. I still have a few, I like them but I would not choose one if I were to buy today.
    Taped seams don't stay taped forever. Seam sealing may be needed when you least expect it.
    Seam sealing can be reapplied if needed.
    Do it yourself. An enjoyable morning's project. You will know if your seams are sewn properly. You will know that your tent is sealed.
    I've sealed 3 tents myself. No leaks since forever. The most recent tent that I sealed passed a 6 hour rain test in Colorado.
    Wayne

Yes yes. Have always seam sealed DIY and no, not enjoyed it.

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Yes yes. Have always seam sealed DIY and no, not enjoyed it.

LOL!
    "I love the smell of GE silicone in the morning."
    Grinning!
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Shallow walls, not steep walls
    Why it provides good coverage and sheds wind so well.
    Headroom is tradeoff as you say

With rear into wind, it can take pretty big gusts,
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-05-2017 at 05:09.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Why it provides good coverage and sheds wind so well.
    Headroom is tradeoff as you say

With rear into wind, it can take pretty big gusts,
    That's why I initially bought it in the first place but the headroom, despite being short, was just a non-starter for me

Okay so I posted one of my NEW REI Dash 2 UL 2-person tents up on Gear Trade for $200 if anyone is interested. I have another one. It's a good way to get basically the benefits of a Big Agnes Copper Spur (2 doors and vestibules) without the price tag. I wouldn't want to sleep 2 people in it, and it is very drafty. You also have to pitch the fly taught or you'll get wet. I can't list it on here because I haven't posted on here enough times.

Please don't report me, I'm not trying to make money, that thing will sell like hotcakes no matter whether you want it or not. It's 2.5 pounds. Probably a couple more ounces than that because I seam-sealed the heck out of it. But generally 2.5, and has free upgrades I made like Ti stakes and a new REI footprint plus free tyvek for groundcloth and Kelty Triptease guylines. Never used.

AH Big Agnes website, and Zpacks website say no seam sealing necessary. I will stick with those in the future. What a hassle. And adds weight. Big Agnes says if the tape doesn't do the job send the tent back. I will!

Oh, I guess I have enough posts now to sell things on here. Anyway, I had told someone somewhere in this thread about that Dash 2 and now it is for sale on Gear Trade. I'm not going to bother listing it also on White Blaze. I have a new Titan tea kettle up and a few other extremely coveted thru-hiker items like a few new eVent ultrasil stuffsacks also listed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++