WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bear visit.

Default Bear visit.

On a recent hike on the AT I had what I assumed was a visit to my tent from a bear during the night. Came crashing through the trees and bushes and started whacking at a tree that was right beside the flap of my tent. I was petrified for what seemed like an eternity but was probably only 2 or 3 mins. When I got out of the tent in the morning there was large chunks of bark from the tree all around my tent. Does any one know why the (assumed bear) acted in such a way?

Journal Entries
    Images

were there tooth or claw marks? Could have been a female marking territory i so. Was it a tree where you had your bear bag hanging?
    My evolving gear list, some links provided
    https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=44571

To each their own, get all the advice you can, then figure out your own path.

Images

yeah...

guessing marking territory and/or searching for grubs....

Inquiring minds want to know: Where and when?

My food bag was not on this tree. No claw or tooth marks but bark completely stripped off the tree in large chunks all around my tent. Shenandoah National park.

Journal Entries
    Images

maybe not a bear, maybe just a tree fart...where was this?

Journal Entries
    Images

nvm i'm blind

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Could have been a buck. They will thrash trees with their antlers. How big was the tree? I have seen them do this on smaller trees up to about 6" diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    Could have been a buck. They will thrash trees with their antlers. How big was the tree? I have seen them do this on smaller trees up to about 6" diameter.

DO you think a buck could violently shake a grouping of 3 trees around 5in in diameter and a really steep incline??

You have been warned.

Journal Entries

Sasquatch obviously

Journal Entries
    Images

Beware of the Yeti! - Read the logs...
    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Sasquatch obviously
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

As a wildlife professional, my advice is: Get out of the tent and tell the critter--whatever it is--to get the hell out of there and stay away. It will leave. There are no wild animals you need to fear on the AT. As a human, you are the king of the forest whether you like it or not.

As a wildlife professional, my advice is: Get out of the tent and tell the critter--whatever it is--to get the hell out of there and stay away. It will leave. There are no wild animals you need to fear on the AT. As a human, you are the king of the forest whether you like it or not.

And at this time of year, bucks are scraping the velvet off their antlers and leaving rubs in the dirt and trees. Learn to recognize a buck rub and it will add pleasure to you hike.

I'd go with the buck deer guess. This is rutting season and the SNP is thick with deer. You'd be amazed at where they can go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Sounds like buck to me... bears don't do much "crashing through the trees and bushes", they're pretty quiet. Were you in New England, a moose would also be a likely candidate.

It's worth mentioning that at times of heightened awareness, a chipmunk can sound like a D-9 dozer

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Sounds like buck to me... bears don't do much "crashing through the trees and bushes", they're pretty quiet. Were you in New England, a moose would also be a likely candidate.
    a few weeks ago a friend was camped north of neels when he heard crashing around in the woods down a draw, he said it was loud, he went over and looked and a bear was coming up the hill. He yelled at it and it kept walking his way, he threw sticks and kept yelling and it finally turned and walked off.

Quote Originally Posted by us1err View Post
    On a recent hike on the AT I had what I assumed was a visit to my tent from a bear during the night. Came crashing through the trees and bushes and started whacking at a tree that was right beside the flap of my tent. I was petrified for what seemed like an eternity but was probably only 2 or 3 mins. When I got out of the tent in the morning there was large chunks of bark from the tree all around my tent. Does any one know why the (assumed bear) acted in such a way?
    Chances are the bear was looking for grubs that live behind the loose bark. It probably wasn't even aware that you were so close.

I had a similar incident on the PCT last year. My son-in-law and I were sleeping in bivies. In the middle of the night, a bear started peeling the bark off a log that was between our bivies. The bear was less than 5 feet from my son-in-law. My son-in-law sat up and yelled. The bear ran right through our camp (their were six in the party) and into the woods. The next morning there was loose bark around the log. And, yes, there were claw marks on the log.
    Shutterbug

Sounds much more like a buck trying to clean the velvet off his antlers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++