Default may 17th 2018 Start date anxiety

Hello PCT world,

tentatively starting a nobo hike on May 17th because this is the earliest my hiking partner and I can get out from our final exams. I'm worried this will be too late and it will be really hot! Then again, my pace was decent when I hiked the AT nobo in 2017. I did 25-30 mile days on the AT with not much difficulty and finished in 115 days, without really rushing. My hope is that if I know I have to be done on the PCT by mid to late August, I'll be able to do 30+ days pretty consistently on the PCT. Any advice about a 5/17 - 8/?? thru hike is welcome! For what it's worth, my partner hasn't thru hiked before but he's committed to doing big miles.

Thanks!
    Spice Girl

Or 2018 will be a repeat of 2017 and May 17 might be too early.
    Start when you can start. Adapt. Adjust. Go for it!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Umbrella!
    Dixie on the PCT. Videos. Homemade Wanderlust.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Images

I did a 98 day hike starting May 21st. Based on your background I wouldn't worry a bit.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Plenty of people started mid-May and were fine. Of course this year was the Year of Ice and Fire, so everyone's plans changed pretty quickly. Coming off the AT, you will be pleased at how easy and flat the PCT is. Good luck!

Never been there, but FLAT? & EASY?
    Hmmmmmm.......
    I guess I watched the wrong videos.
    Wayne

I'll be starting May 14th! (pending PCTA approval)
    "A house on your back." -Colin Fletcher

Expect triple digit days. Many, and sustained.

Quote Originally Posted by House On My Back View Post
    I'll be starting May 14th! (pending PCTA approval)
    My start date this year, great desert weather, still enough water. I got off at Wrightwood. After this SoCal had a record heatwave, but people were fine.

Cuddos to your AT time. While I'm much older, my wife and I are hiking the AT next year, and your hike time is inspiring. It will take us much longer, but still impressed with your hike!

Images

If you are opinion shopping, or bragging about how easy a 115 day thru is, then yes, a May 17 to Aug 39th is a good plan (115 days).
    In fact, if you are in the 100 day ballpark, a May 17 start may be on the early side. You would have had a lot of snow and dangerous stream crossings the Sierra this year. I started May 5 in 2012 and lost about 3 days in Oregon and Washington due to snow.
    Most people speed up on their second thru due to "experience". Also, most people hike the PCT faster than the AT due to the "hiking culture" and tread difficulty of the two trails. So, finishing before August 31 is reasonable.
    I would point out that the Fastest time on the PCT is 15 % slower than the AT. So, those that say the PCT is a faster trail than the AT are not strictly correct, except in the world of internet spin. Those that say they know you can do it are equally fact based.
    I think you have a better idea than any of us on this thread, but I think a positive attitude is correct for you.

Journal Entries
    Images

Isn't the pct 15% longer or more?
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AfterParty View Post
    Isn't the pct 15% longer or more?
    The PCT is 21 % longer than the Appalachian Trail but the Fastest times are only 15 % longer. So, yes the PCT is faster per mile but not faster to hike, all else being the same.
    I am one of those who hiked the PCT faster than the AT. For me, I do not like to hike after a shower. At night, I feel dirty again. So I take extra nearos on the AT because there are extra towns.
    My times are comparable to the original posters.

On the AT I hiked 12 mpd average, on the PCT 19. The trail is much better graded than the AT, which makes it easier to walk. No rock scrambles. It's built for horses. Not having shelters means you walk until dark, not until you reach the next shelter. Towns are generally farther apart, especially up north, so you don't have as many zeros and neros. Lack of water forces long mileage.

To the OP and other late starters, if it is a warm spring and snow in the mountains isn't an issue, you might consider starting in Big Bear. It is accessible via public transport and will get you in the Sierras in early to mid-June with a mid-May start. There are fewer water issues the first couple of weeks than starting at the border.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    If you are opinion shopping, or bragging about how easy a 115 day thru is, then yes, a May 17 to Aug 39th is a good plan (115 days).
    In fact, if you are in the 100 day ballpark, a May 17 start may be on the early side. You would have had a lot of snow and dangerous stream crossings the Sierra this year. I started May 5 in 2012 and lost about 3 days in Oregon and Washington due to snow.
    Most people speed up on their second thru due to "experience". Also, most people hike the PCT faster than the AT due to the "hiking culture" and tread difficulty of the two trails. So, finishing before August 31 is reasonable.
    I would point out that the Fastest time on the PCT is 15 % slower than the AT. So, those that say the PCT is a faster trail than the AT are not strictly correct, except in the world of internet spin. Those that say they know you can do it are equally fact based.
    I think you have a better idea than any of us on this thread, but I think a positive attitude is correct for you.
    I am one that thinks he can do it Based on his experience. Is it fact? no. Is it opinion? yes. What else would it be?
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

++ New Posts ++