Hello all. Lifetime hiker/wilderness canoe camper, but fairly new to long distance backpacking.
With retirement on the horizon I hope to get in MANY thru hikes in my Golden Years. An AT thru-hike is on the agenda in 2019, but first I have a couple others on my radar...the Wonderland Trail being one near the top of the list. I had a few questions that I wondered if anyone could offer some assistance.
1. I had read that to begin at a trail-head other than Longmire will increase the chances of the permit being approved. True/false? If this is true, where is the next best trail head to begin? I was looking at Sunrise, but it seems like it is a bit more difficult to access by car (I don't have a 4WD, and my Mazda 3 gets rather irritated by steep mountain roads). How difficult is it to get to Sunrise by car, and how much parking is available there?
2. I have hiking experience in the mountains, but only day-hikes. So, I think I should keep my miles at around 10 per day. I wondered if there are any benefits to clockwise vs. counterclockwise though?
3. I've been trying to note campsites that are highly recommended (Indian Bar, Klapatche Park, Golden Lakes, Mystic Lake) as well as those that are not recommended (Devil's Dream). Any others to make note of?
4. Because I do not have to go at any specific time, but would like to enjoy the benefits of going in August, when filling out the permit, can I just say 'anytime in August'? Would that help to get the exact itinerary I am requesting?
5. Bear safety? I know there are poles at all the campsites to hang bear bags, so I'm assuming a canister is not necessary, but how recommended is bear spray? I'm generally of the mindset that it's unnecessary weight, but I've also never hiked in WA, and don't want to be foolish in my decision.
6. While I love hiking, I am a bit nervous about fording. How big of a concern should this be should I be able to get a permit for August?
I have searched for these answers, but finally decided to ask the 'experts' here.
Thank you so much for any help anyone is able to provide.
Tammi