WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you hike with an umbrella?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mattydt20

Default Do you use an umbrella?

I just finished Ray Jardine's book Beyond Backpacking. He full heartedly promotes the use of an umbrella while hiking. At first it seemed silly, but as I read more an umbrella seemed to be a really great idea. It keeps you dry and cool because you are free to hike in a t-shirt or any desired layer. I was wondering how many people hike with umbrellas and wanted to know how their experiences with them were.

Jardine is awful convincing about using an umbrella, isn't he?

I tried it. Here's what I learned.

1. Holding-up an umbrella all day long is tiring
    2. If it's warm rain, I don't mind getting wet. It can be refreshing.
    3. If it's cold rain, I would likely be wearing FroggToggs, or the like.
    4. When rocks and roots are wet and slippery, I prefer the security of hiking poles over an umbrella.
    Roland

Images

I tried it for a while. In NC, there were enough trees and bushes snagging at the umbrella that it was more trouble than it was worth to me.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

i was out just south of Boiling springs 2 years ago and a guy hiking northbound had a small umbrella lashed to his pack. I think he liked hiking in the shade. With an external frame pack, this seemed like a good setup

I convince Jardine just wanted to find out how many hikers would be gullible to actually do it.

Wolf

Images

I'm the only one out of 13 to say yes? Man, hiking with my $5 grocery store umbrella keeps me dry and happy day after day...sure beats being under a raincoat, which is only used if its really windy or my umbrella is broken.

Brian
    OES

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I don't use an ubrella but if I decided to try one this is what I might consider:

http://www.epinions.com/content_186229755524

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Thumbs down umbrellas

I'm not sure whether the umbrella recommendation by Jardine was a joke, or just a stab at being passive-aggressive.

I've carried an umbrella on rainy day hikes, but I would never pack one for a trip of more than a day because:

• Weight and bulk; one more thing to carry and pack that I don't need
    • I have rainproof gear
    • Open umbrella gets snagged on branches
    • Prevents you from using trekking poles
    • Dislike holding the umbrella for long periods of time
    Off-trail, I'm a fan of umbrellas. On the trail, they seem more trouble than they are worth.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I own a one, but I dont use it. I am addicted to my leki poles. On top of that, in the winter, it is nice to have the rain gear to keep me warm, and in the summer, I dont mind getting wet at all. It might be a little better on the west coast where there is less rain, and less trees to snag your umbrella on. Or maybe it is just not the right option for me.

I use Lekis too, so using an umbrella while I hike is out. However, on the AT in a wet year, I'd consider carrying one for camp and towns.

Default no!!!

i ain't mary poppins.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline
    I own a one, but I dont use it. I am addicted to my leki poles. On top of that, in the winter, it is nice to have the rain gear to keep me warm, and in the summer, I dont mind getting wet at all. It might be a little better on the west coast where there is less rain, and less trees to snag your umbrella on. Or maybe it is just not the right option for me.
    They would be useful in the desert.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Smee and I hiked for two years wearing those umbrella hats ... They work real well...great head and face coverage, fair shoulder coverage... not as confining as a hood... great ventilation ... left hands free for poles...weight was 3 oz.

Drawbacks were sometimes strong wind could be a challenge... you can't use them with a tall pack (no problem for us but an issue for others)... the head band can get a lttle old...You get a few stares (who cares when someting works)

Currently we are using Tilley hats with near the same success ... bit more conventional.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Default I have carried and used an umbrella while hiking before...

They are particularly handy IMO for clear days in areas when the leaves are not fully on the trees or there aren't enough trees, but the brush isn't too close. The higher your pack sits, though, the less comfortable it is to hold an umbrella up, as you have to hold your arm higher. Likewise, they are nicer to use than ponchos for going to the privy from the shelter when it is rainy or the trees are recently rained-on and the wind is blowing that water off them. I have found that I can't justify the weight of a brolly, though; I use hat/windbreaker/gloves/bandannas stuck under boonie hat brim to keep the sun off me, so don't really need one in my final judgement.

tideblazer
    Images

Default 9,000 miles and counting

I use umbrellas all the time hiking.

I use it from the rain/hail/snow: caught in many storms, always worked, except two times where the wind turned it out. The golite ones will flex backward up to a point. I have exchanged one after it flexed too far. There were some hail storms that would have been painful without it.

In the desert, I found it essential for shade. I did not see how others got by without one. Of course, most people out there that I saw DID have one. The mylar trick is harder to master. The mylar rips from use, but it is very effective in reflecting heat before it rips.

I use one for photography. I simply need shelter when I need it, and have gotten a lot of pictures other people wouldn't try becuase their camera would get wet.

I have had multiple rainy day lunches and breaks under my umbrella.

At night I often use the umbrella to "seal" the ends of my tarp if there is precipitation. One time, I even used it to make a canopy under my tarp after I pitched the entire thing to the ground on a flat bald with no other options.

I have used it upside down to collect water in a storm, and under a water fall.

I have had hundreds of hikers see me when they needed one, only to say, "man, you're smart!", or "I wish I had one of those!"

I consider it a luxury, but a very useful one.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan
    Smee and I hiked for two years wearing those umbrella hats ... They work real well...great head and face coverage, fair shoulder coverage... not as confining as a hood... great ventilation ... left hands free for poles...weight was 3 oz.

Drawbacks were sometimes strong wind could be a challenge... you can't use them with a tall pack (no problem for us but an issue for others)... the head band can get a lttle old...You get a few stares (who cares when someting works)

Currently we are using Tilley hats with near the same success ... bit more conventional.

Pan

this is the one I use, camo...... www.theumbrellahat.com

I agree w/ you Pan, on both pro/con. My favorite benefit is eliminating the effect of tunnel vision that a cinched down hooded rain jacket gives.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I carried a "hands free" umbrella for quite a while in 2003. With all the rain we had it came in handy.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I voted yes. However, I have yet to actually hike with one, have only decided to do so. I even have an umbrella.

So, I suppose that I should have voted no, but then again.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

I started w/ one but got rid of it after a few hundred miles. I wasn't using it and when I did use it I found it really awkard to use. I was so used to hiking w/ poles in hand it felt very weird not pushing off w/ my umbrella hand. Plus it gets caught in the trees and in the bushes.

Having said that, I think it is an idea that could work, esp if you dont hike w/ poles. Not great for the dense forest of maine though

Thumbs up

I started my section hikes in GA with regular lightweight "so called breathable" raingear and hated hiking in it. Sweaty, clammy, yuck!!

Somewhere in the Smokies after reading Jardine's book I started carrying an umbrella and the difference was night and day. An umbrella, coupled with gaitors kept me far more comfortable and drier (when sweat and lack of it are factored in). Since then, I have never had to HIKE in my rainsuit, although I still usually carry rainpants and a windshirt as backup raingear and for wind/warmth.

There are some vulberabilities with an umbrella, most tied to very high winds, but the umbrella and gaitors is always my hiking raingear of choice. It has turned rainy day hiking from misery to just a minor inconvenience.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++