Default Old Car on trail in PA near Darlington Shelter

Was NOBO south of Darlington Shelter and stumbled onto an old wrecked car next to the trail. Been there years, looks like 1930ís but Iím no expert. Any AT history or car buffs know what this is? Not much left of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Images

Coil springs up front plus hydraulic brakes. Hmmm Coil springs introduced by several manufacturers in 1934..... Not a Ford though because the driveshaft is open and not in a torque tube like Ford used up until the late 40s except in trucks.

Anyone else want to chime in?
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Forgot one, hereís the steering wheel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not sure of this car's story, but there are numerous similar relics in GSMNP:

GSMNP Backpacking 046.JPG

I've heard that as GSMNP was growing (and Fontana Lake was filling, closing off some roads) it was early 1940's and WWII rubber rationing made it difficult to get tires - and consequently many 1930's-era cars were abandoned. Might be something similar in PA, looks to be a similar vintage auto -
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HighlandsHiker View Post
    Not sure of this car's story, but there are numerous similar relics in GSMNP:

GSMNP Backpacking 046.JPG

I've heard that as GSMNP was growing (and Fontana Lake was filling, closing off some roads) it was early 1940's and WWII rubber rationing made it difficult to get tires - and consequently many 1930's-era cars were abandoned. Might be something similar in PA, looks to be a similar vintage auto -

yeah....

this is what ive always heard about the cars in the smokies...

theres quite a few.......

Journal Entries

We saw an old Plymouth Suburban in the woods between Caratunk and Monson.
    I think it's interesting that if someone leaves trash on the trail, everybody hates them. But if the trash is old enough, like an old car, then it's a historical artifact and starts to acquire value.

Images

But if the trash is old enough, like an old car, then it's a historical artifact and starts to acquire value.

i asked this to a PIO of the Smokies years ago---as in, what the age difference between when one thing is trash and the other a historical artifact?

for instance a bottle-----if left now, its trash and can be picked up..
    if left years and years ago (like at an old CCC camp)-----its an artifact and cannot be picked up...

but, i didnt get a clear answer when i asked....

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    We saw an old Plymouth Suburban in the woods between Caratunk and Monson.
    I think it's interesting that if someone leaves trash on the trail, everybody hates them. But if the trash is old enough, like an old car, then it's a historical artifact and starts to acquire value.
    In days of old people rode horses and only the rich had cars, now everyone drives a car and only the rich ride horses.

That's on corridor (i.e. recently acquired former farmland) property. Used to be a manure spreader nearby but MCM hauled it out. Farm families tend to have dumps back in the back corner where trails often get permission to go years later. Finger Lakes Trail passes many such relics, as even its public land tends to be re-bought farmland from the 1930's-1950's.

I've seen an old vehicle or two in places where I wondered how they ever got it up there back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I've seen an old vehicle or two in places where I wondered how they ever got it up there back then.
    Nature reclaims more than the casual visitor realizes. I'm far from retirement, yet there are 25' trees in the field behind my mom's house where I remember silage harvesters alternating years with square hay balers (the kind that kicked the bales up into the wagon). Big trees have grown since the World War II scrap drives ended.

++ New Posts ++