WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Daypack help?

Default Daypack help?

Hi,

This is my first post, so I hope you will be gentle.

I'm a day hiker, my day pack has been an Osprey Daylite, which I really like. However, I would like a pack for carrying a sleeping bag (probably down), food for a day/small stove and fuel, and change of clothes (minus pants), and jacket (possibly down). I'm planning on some trips where I would stay in huts and rustic cottages. The Daylite is too small for this (12 L?). I'm sure if I go to REI they would recommend a 45 L, which in my mind is too big. I would likely go with another Osprey, though I'm not too keen on the water bottle pockets, which are hard to reach while hiking.

Thanks in advance.

--Jay

check put the zpacks nero, i just used it on an overnite and it was great.

Large enough for a couple nites and some food, and the side pockets easily fit 1ltr smart water bottles

I recommend looking at the Nero as well. It is expensive, however, but take a look at it anyway. It may give you some ideas. I thru hiked with the Arc Blast and was well served.

The Nero is in my price range (okay a little over, but looks like a nice size). I'm sure it would get a lot of use, so it's one place I wouldn't mind spending the money, if it lasted.

Didn't say but I'm very short-- 5'1 ".

Gossamer murmur

1) Not all Osprey packs have the same side pocket design. Some are easier to get bottles out than others. Head to your local outfitter and try some out.
    2) It sounds like you are looking to go fairly light weight. Some REI staff may recommend a 45 L bag, others may not. Some White Blaze forum members might recommend a 45 L bag, others may not.
    3) An overnight or an overweek are both pretty much the same gear, just maybe another 10 L or so for food if you are going for a week. Some people need a 65 L pack for an overnight. I'm sure all the various long distance trails in North America have been hiked in their entirety by someone using a 35 L pack or smaller. The average on the AT and PCT are about 60 L. 60 L less 10 for food and 5 for a tent makes 45 L +/-, and that's based on folks that have their gear dialed over many months of hiking.
    4) If you've been day hiking with a 12 L pack, you obviously aren't a hiking gear mule, and most of us would consider that a good thing. Don't worry so much about the pack size as how it carries the gear you want to carry. 45 L might seem to be a bit big for an overnight trip to a hut for some of us, although most of the hut-to-hut hikers I've seen along the AT in the White Mountains have been carrying significantly more gear than most of the AT hikers walking (tripping along) the same sections.
    5) Having a couple extra liters of space isn't a bad thing as you don't have to work so hard compressing your puffy insulation (and other stuff) and if you ever decide to go out for a longer or more remote adventure, you might not have to buy yet another pack.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I use a 35L North Face pack for summer overnight hikes. (it's at least 8 years old now, so doubtless no longer available) I believe it was sold as a climbers pack, so it's fairly heavy duty. The total load might get to 15 pounds if I want to eat real well. The real limitation is how much food I can carry. 1.5 days is okay, 2.5 days would be pushing it. I'd want to go to 40L to have some more wiggle room if going for more then an overnight.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

How does the math work for pack size. Zpacks counts side pockets and mesh. Does everyone do it like that?

Default Daypack help?

I like the Granite Gear Slacker Packer. it's just a 24L, waterproof roll top backpack. it's really light and comfortable.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I just bought a new daypack...a Kelty 28 Ruckus with a roll top. It is really a little large for a daypack but I always carry a camp jacket and leave it loose.

It also has a hip belt with decent pockets and fits me fairly comfortably...it's a little short in the torso for me (I'm short but have a long torso) so would probably fit you well. I couldn't beat it for $69.

Check it out: https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...waAo0gEALw_wcB

From the Kelty website with reviews: https://www.kelty.com/ruckus-roll-top/

Several very nice options. I like several of them (ZPacks, Gossamer-- though is kind of big, I think, they say 5'4", and Kelty). I like a Granite Gear pack but think another one is possibly better for me.

Would not carry to big a pack, because of the psychology of having the space so I would fill it. I think having a 12L pack (for the usual day hikes) has been good discipline. At my size, I don't need to be carrying that big a pack anyway. However, realistically it won't meet my needs for my upcoming trip. Still have time, and I will buy the sleeping bag and maybe jacket first, though probably have some jackets to test on.

Default Daypack help?

I like the Granite Gear Slacker Packer. it's just a 24L, waterproof roll top backpack. it's really light and comfortable.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Sounds like your putting together this kit from scratch. Generally it's a good idea to see how much gear you need, then size the pack to the load. Do the huts and rustic cabins come equipped with things you don't have to carry in or do you need to be 100% self reliant? To be self reliant, you'll probably find you need a pack in the 40L ball park.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Sounds like your putting together this kit from scratch. Generally it's a good idea to see how much gear you need, then size the pack to the load. Do the huts and rustic cabins come equipped with things you don't have to carry in or do you need to be 100% self reliant? To be self reliant, you'll probably find you need a pack in the 40L ball park.
    Sometimes they have everything, and other times you need a sleeping bag and sometimes a towel.

One point about the zpacks pack. It is waterproof! My thru hike was my first multi-day hike where it rained. Nope, I didn't do much hiking before then. I know everyone makes their "normal" pack work but having a waterproof pack was freakin' awesome. I never worried about the rain, ever. Just kept walking.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I just bought a new daypack...a Kelty 28 Ruckus with a roll top. It is really a little large for a daypack but I always carry a camp jacket and leave it loose.

It also has a hip belt with decent pockets and fits me fairly comfortably...it's a little short in the torso for me (I'm short but have a long torso) so would probably fit you well. I couldn't beat it for $69.

Check it out: https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sh...waAo0gEALw_wcB
    Nice pack! Good price too.

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    One point about the zpacks pack. It is waterproof! My thru hike was my first multi-day hike where it rained. Nope, I didn't do much hiking before then. I know everyone makes their "normal" pack work but having a waterproof pack was freakin' awesome. I never worried about the rain, ever. Just kept walking.
    Well since I am going to be on and around the AT, that'd be useful. I have gotten caught in the rain even here in NM.

Not sure if Mountain Laurel Designs Core suits your fancy. 28L, huge for a daypack. It is a great weekend bag for light packers. Wicked techy but also so simple.

$85 to boot

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/product/core-28l/

I have an Osprey Talon 21 that works well. It's actually way big for a daypack but you could overnight in it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++