Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Florida Thru

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-11-2016
    Location
    lakeview.ny
    Age
    41
    Posts
    75

    Default Florida Thru

    Any whiteblazer going for a 2018 Florida Trail thru hike?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-25-2015
    Location
    Neptune Beach
    Age
    51
    Posts
    648

    Default

    Tempting


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-11-2016
    Location
    lakeview.ny
    Age
    41
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Let's go....

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-14-2013
    Location
    Nunna Yerbiz
    Age
    58
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I planned to start after Christmas, called FTA about post-Irma conditions, was told some areas are a wreck and to call back in a few weeks. I plan to hike it if feasible but not if it is a big mess.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-11-2016
    Location
    lakeview.ny
    Age
    41
    Posts
    75

    Default

    Keep me posted on how that plays out...I may be headed that way myself

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-14-2014
    Location
    Ocala Florida
    Age
    47
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Ocala is clear and open now. Took longer than I thought it would.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by life scout View Post
    Ocala is clear and open now. Took longer than I thought it would.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    To clear the trail or hike it? On my list to do the ONF this winter in about 4 Days is the plan.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-14-2014
    Location
    Ocala Florida
    Age
    47
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    To clear the trail or hike it? On my list to do the ONF this winter in about 4 Days is the plan.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Florida trail association says it's open for hiking. We did some recent hiking out there and did not see a great deal of trees down. This area did not get hit to bad.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by life scout View Post
    The Florida trail association says it's open for hiking. We did some recent hiking out there and did not see a great deal of trees down. This area did not get hit to bad.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Thx...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-14-2013
    Location
    Nunna Yerbiz
    Age
    58
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I just spoke to FTA again and the woman I spoke to previously was much more positive this time, said crews are getting the trail in shape, so I plan to do a thru starting after Christmas. There are some closures in Big Cypress due to high water, but there is a lot of time for that to ease.
    I am now on an AT LASH and started getting hopeful about the FT after reading a beautifully photographed book on the FT at Mosey's new hostel in Port Jervis. Mosey, an AT alum, was also planning an FT thru this winter.

  11. #11
    Registered User StichBurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by life scout View Post
    Ocala is clear and open now. Took longer than I thought it would.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I hiked Ocala NF two weeks ago trail was fine. In January I'm going to hike from Pensacola to Tallahassee if anyone is interested in joining.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StichBurly View Post
    I hiked Ocala NF two weeks ago trail was fine. In January I'm going to hike from Pensacola to Tallahassee if anyone is interested in joining.
    How bad were the ticks and skeeters? Iíve been wanting to hike that section as itís only 2 hours from home...waiting for cold weather!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Registered User StichBurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    How bad were the ticks and skeeters? I’ve been wanting to hike that section as it’s only 2 hours from home...waiting for cold weather!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn't have a skeeter problems. That was because I hiked it during that
    sat cold front. I've personally never have had a problem with ticks in Ocala.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    6,011

    Default

    All 70+ miles in a 1 Day Fl cold front...thatís hauling arse....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Registered User StichBurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    All 70+ miles in a 1 Day Fl cold front...thatís hauling arse....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It was three days.

  16. #16
    Registered User StichBurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    All 70+ miles in a 1 Day Fl cold front...that’s hauling arse....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sat..auto correct from Oct cold front

  17. #17

    Default

    Iíll be heading out early January for an end-to-end hike heading north.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  18. #18

    Default

    Will Wood (Following Redbeard on YouTube) just posted a hike that he and some others did through the ONF. Trail looked to be in great shape.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    09-14-2013
    Location
    Nunna Yerbiz
    Age
    58
    Posts
    206

    Default

    I started nobo Jan. 6, now at Billie Swamp Safari, and trail conditions are better than expected. Water in the black lagoon of Big Cypress was only knee deep, not waist deep as I'd been told. Was told I'd need a mosquito headnet but haven't even used bug spray yet. Glad I did not follow advice to go sobo.

  20. #20
    Registered User StichBurly's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-24-2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMan View Post
    I started nobo Jan. 6, now at Billie Swamp Safari, and trail conditions are better than expected. Water in the black lagoon of Big Cypress was only knee deep, not waist deep as I'd been told. Was told I'd need a mosquito headnet but haven't even used bug spray yet. Glad I did not follow advice to go sobo.
    I so envious of your thru hike. Enjoy Florida. Hit me up when you get to St. Marks area I will bring you out a pizza.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •