WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Space blanket

When I was a newbie, I carried one on all trips greater than overnight. Used to carry a lot of extra crap back then too. Now when I go on a day hike, I'll throw one into my day pack just in case. I also keep one in the emergency kit in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    I have contemplated getting one of those more substantial ones such as the SOL one HooKooDooKu linked to.... I thought it might serve to bolster my big ages kings canyon quilt when temps get down to the edge of its limits. My gut tells me that it would help, but the better solution would be to get something better in a quilt.
    Conventional wisdom has it that you should switch to a sleeping bag when the temperature gets too low (maybe 20°), because you can't take too many accidental ventings at the side of the quilt in frigid conditions.

There's also the issue of predicting the weather, and the logistics of changing your gear to suit the conditions. On a 2200 mile hike I think I'd rather carry extra weight and know I've got the right equipment for a comfortable night's sleep even with sudden temperature changes, rather than barely survive because I mailed my "winter" gear home. But we'll see. I won't rule out sending the SOL Escape Bivvy home after the Smokies.

+1 on the previous to comments about why bring a space blanket if you are already carrying overnight gear!
    The SOL space blankets are made with a different plastic (even the thin light ones) that doesn't "shatter" like the Mylar ones do.
    The SOL two person space blankets make a really fun, super light, and surprisingly warm little tarp shelter.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Roller View Post
    We used them in a tent and they were worthless. Waste of money.
    Exactly. A useless toy.

Carrying an emergency blanket on a backpacking trip sounds to me like you think you might be unprepared with the equipment you are already taking. Those things are for keeping in your car or a day pack. Trust me, if you bust one of those things out in a shelter you are going to piss everyone off as you crinkle all night.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    Carrying an emergency blanket on a backpacking trip sounds to me like you think you might be unprepared with the equipment you are already taking. Those things are for keeping in your car or a day pack. Trust me, if you bust one of those things out in a shelter you are going to piss everyone off as you crinkle all night.
    You might want to brush up on the definition of Emergency.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Just as an information point, I have one of the "cheap" kind except that its is labeled as the original "Space" emergency blanket by MPI Outdoors(http://www.mpioutdoors.com/main.htm) and its likely more than 5 years old. Its spent most of its life in a bicycle backpack and while the package labeling is starting to wear off, the sealed bag has kept it from deteriorating. So despite any special care its still as shiny as new and as much as I can manipulate it inside the bag, is still strong and flexible.

Point being, its fairly likely a lot of the bad press concerning Space blankets is due to inferior knockoffs and misuse.

MPI also has a next gen version(Extreme Pro-tect bag and also a vest) where they created a bag out of the same material but bonded into a hollow tubes structure similar to an inflatable sleeping pad with built in elastic threads to make it hug your body, so it also has significant insulation capabilities beyond reflective warming . They claim despite its 12oz weight its very reusable and can deal with condensation thru micro perforations. I have no experience with these, and smell a whiff of marketing hype but beyond the reusable part, seems likely to be effective.
    FWIW, the MPI site has a good deal of (real)info on the entire subject of heat loss, survival blankets and bags and a lot of survival tips/info .
    To me the value of these devices is to get you warmed up faster and with less heat loss than your bag/quilt can SO that you can use your bag. And in a worst case scenario, where you have a wet or missing bag its going to keep you warm until condensation starts...then you really have only one option- open it and let the moisture out periodically despite the heat loss.

I think the real danger isn't dealing with hypothermic cold per se but rather the mental degradation caused by it...seems to me that's something even the most experienced fall prey to. Beyond having something to fall back on(and I'm not touting Space blankets as the best answer), it behooves anyone whose potentially going to expose themselves to hypothermia to read up on how hypothermia really works as the common notions are more dangerous than the condition itself.

Absolutely worthless on a thru hike. If you start with it you won't end with it. You cannot afford to take stuff with you that you anticipate using for somebody else. All of your gear should be enough for you (if not, rethink). In case of someone else's emergency then all your gear will be enough for them too.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    Absolutely worthless on a thru hike. If you start with it you won't end with it. You cannot afford to take stuff with you that you anticipate using for somebody else. All of your gear should be enough for you (if not, rethink).
    I would have to agree...

That heavier and more durable space blanket I linked to earlier... the only time I really ever made serious use of it was for an injured hiker I encountered that had fallen off the Chimney Tops Pinnacle in GSMNP. The blanket was first used as a sun-shade for the victim. I then left the blanket with the family because I knew it would be after sunset before the victim could be carried back to the trail-head, and the family had not set out on this day hike with warm enough gear expecting to still be in the woods that late in the day.

After I gave the blanket away, I never bothered to buy another one. Since then, I always make sure I at least have enough of the right kind of clothing to ensure I can stay warm should I find my self on an unplanned extended stay in the back country.

In case of someone else's emergency then all your gear will be enough for them too.
    I'm not totally following the logic here... if you are only carrying enough gear to protect yourself in an emergency, then you're not going to have enough gear to protect you and 'them too'.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I'm not totally following the logic here... if you are only carrying enough gear to protect yourself in an emergency, then you're not going to have enough gear to protect you and 'them too'.
    I believe KDogg was only thinking of those emergencies not also affecting you. So someone else drops their sleeping bag in a stream, but you don't. Your gear for one emergency would simply get used by someone else, because you're not having an emergency yourself.

In case of someone else's emergency then all your gear will be enough for them too.
    My point here is that if you help someone in an emergency then you will help them with everything you have. If it means you end up without some critical items that are required for you to be safe then you get off the trail. Emergencies can mess up your day even if it isn't your emergency.

I carry one even when I go on a day hike.

It’s one of my ten essentials, save a life.

Cheap space blankets that are no more than a sheet of plastic sold at curb stores do not work. The better kind I would try.

I carry the sol emergency poncho. I figure it could help someone or myself. I’d personally wear it under something if I was to use it to get the maximum protection I could out of it and trap as much heat as possible. You barley feel the weight of it. If you do more power to yah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++