WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I bought the ACR ResQLink+ from REI last year.
    You may want to read up on the most effective way to use your PLB. From what I read this is the model Kate Matrosova carried that sent out inaccurate positions: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...l=1#post440884

For the record, I own Spot3 and it sent out plenty of locations in the past that were far from my GPS traces and sometimes so obviously wrong that they were a subject of ridicule from my family.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    You may want to read up on the most effective way to use your PLB. From what I read this is the model Kate Matrosova carried that sent out inaccurate positions: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...l=1#post440884

For the record, I own Spot3 and it sent out plenty of locations in the past that were far from my GPS traces and sometimes so obviously wrong that they were a subject of ridicule from my family.
    As she unfortunately proved, PLB is not a substitute for prudence and ability. It might only help authorities locate your body.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-14-2017 at 00:34.

I think that some may be confusing a satellite tracking system (Spot/Open Reach) with a 406mhz PLB. The PLB has to be registered with a US govt. agency who will normally require information regarding one's hiking trip. Research suggests that a PLB is a more reliable method of initiating a rescue, i.e. only switched on when required, minimum 24 hours transmission, built-in homing beacon and strobe light to help rescuers find you. Latest PLBs can be as light as 4 oz and costing a few hundred Dollars, there is really no reason why all hikers should not carry this device.

A young lady whilst hiking on the CDT this year broke her leg (double fracture) whilst jumping across a river. She activated her Spot 3 and 13 hours later the rescue team arrived and she was safely evacuated.

Imagine how long she would have had to wait to be rescued if she had no cell phone signal (highly likely) or no other hikers passed by to help her (also highly likely).

To those of you that do not/will not carry a satellite tracking system or a PLB whilst hiking in the wilderness. Question:

What gives you the right to inconvenience and potentially put a rescue team at additional risk whilst 'trying' to find you and thus delay your own medevac?

To those that would just wait for another hiker to arrive to initiate your medevac? Question:

Do you think that it is fair to sub-contract your own responsibility to a third party?

Not carrying an emergency system of communication whilst hiking in the wilderness is IMO irresponsible. If you think this comment is unfair, then I am interested to know what your contingency plans are for being incapacitated whilst hiking? Thank you.

Imagine how long she's have waited if the electronic device malfunctioned too. Nothing is guaranteed, though having a Locator system increases the potential of rescue initiation, it doesn't guarantee third party help won't be needed. If that device malfunctions, it will render the person no more prepared than those who do not carry them.

I use a SPOT in some hiking conditions, however stopping to offer help to someone who is in need of third party assistance is not an "inconvenience" for me or others I have met along the way in live. There is a social contract involved, though one is not obligated to stop and can certainly pass by with shake of the head, most people will stop to render whatever help they can without complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    As she unfortunately proved, PLB is not a substitute for prudence and ability. It might only help authorities locate your body.
    If you are interested, Ty Gagne’s book, “Where You Will Find Me” is an excellent resource on Kate Matrosova and the decisions made and risks she took leading to her death. It also explains why the first satellite location was correct and why the others were bouncing all over the place. Its a very good read into the minds of the paid employees and volunteers who risk their own life in hazardous conditions.

What a cautionary tale!

basic hiking 101
    stay together
    dont ever leave your gear

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    What a cautionary tale!

basic hiking 101
    stay together
    dont ever leave your gear
    Exactly. Never separate. Never leave your tent. My question is, how did the couple get separated on their dayhike from camp?????

I was wondering the same thing Tipi. Normally you hike at the pace of the slowest in the group. Yes, sometimes the pace can be annoying...but sometimes you can have shared experiences that you never forget.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    I was wondering the same thing Tipi. Normally you hike at the pace of the slowest in the group. Yes, sometimes the pace can be annoying...but sometimes you can have shared experiences that you never forget.
    I think dayhikers make a special point to never separate, while backpackers on the other hand might pull away from each other more often. Still can't figure why they being dayhikers at this point would separate.

I'm sure visibility went down with the snow and im wondering if they were somewhat hypothermic maybe being a tad wet that led to impaired decision making and "tunnel vision" that didn't help. I'm wondering what gear they had as they both suffered from hypothermia the article noted.

Journal Entries

While the decision to leave her tent proved fatal, I think we should consider the context of the situation here. Basically, the hikers were separated and the lady found her tent while her companion did not. I'm guessing that once the snow fell she thought that time was running out for her fellow hiker who was stranded somewhere in the woods and in snow. That probably compelled her to attempt to get help without delay. Should she take the tent or leave it? She may have thought that if her companion found the tent, he would have a better chance of surviving while she was trying to get help.

This is pure speculation on my part but I think the situation was far from being straight-forward.

Back in 2010 there was a somewhat similar accident in Catskills where two hikers got caught up in a blizzard and became hypothermic. One of the tried to go get help and died while the other who stayed behind was found by rescuers and survived: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/r...rhikingSL.html

While the decision to leave her tent proved fatal, I think we should consider the context of the situation here. Basically, the hikers were separated and the lady found her tent while her companion did not. I'm guessing that once the snow fell she thought that time was running out for her fellow hiker who was stranded somewhere in the woods and in snow. That probably compelled her to attempt to get help without delay. Should she take the tent or leave it? She may have thought that if her companion found the tent, he would have a better chance of surviving while she was trying to get help.

This is pure speculation on my part but I think the situation was far from being straight-forward.

Back in 2010 there was a somewhat similar accident in Catskills where two hikers got caught up in a blizzard and became hypothermic. One of the tried to go get help and died while the other who stayed behind was found by rescuers and survived: http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/r...rhikingSL.html
    Thanks for the link; something more to copy and print and read on my next trip.

You bring up an old saying in mountaineering: Never let his Epic become your Epic. Which translates to: If trying to save someone and pull him off the mountain kills you---don't do it!

I think I wise that all team members have the means to make a fire and the skills to do it.

Images

Like Tipi I was also scratching my head on both getting separated as well as leaving the safety of the shelter. But there is another twist that I also believe is worth considering. How do you view you shelter and other gear that was left in camp? Often people talk about lighter weight gear as being less safe. As my gear lightened I found that carried basic shelter and sleep system even on long day hikes. I really view that gear as an integral part of my safety system.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

The man was obviously "adequately" equipped as he survived two nights and made it out. When I heard this on the local news I was a bit surprised that they were up there during this time of year given where she was from. But, the reporting didn't mention that her hiking partner was from the region. I had changed my plans of hiking in the Big Horns a couple of weeks earlier than this incident, going instead to the much lower Black Hills, because of the weather forecast.

For what its worth I've carried a personal locator beacon for 35+ years on literally every hiking/backpacking trip I've ever taken. It is called a whistle...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

She was the sister of a friend of one of my best friends.

I haven't heard any explanation for how things unfolded the way they did, we may never know exactly what happened.

It was pretty shocking when all the dots were connected. I haven't met her brother, but have heard of him for many years.

Right on brother. I've had a SPOT in Afghanistan, and while it was accurate within about 20', their customer service SUCKS!
    Now I'm in Africa and the next locator I buy is going to be and ACR for $245 on Amazon It's good for 5 years with no other subscription fee.
    I'll only use it in a dire emergency, so I don't need two way comms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++