WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default EE Revelation on mass drop....made in China?

Just saw EE Revelation 20 on mass drop and says made in China....thought was made in Mn...just curious, assume they’re doing a cheaper version made in China with they’re name as uses 15d and 800 fill which not what they normally use..odd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copy/paste typo Call EE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That green reminds me of those $80 quilts on Amazon with the really chinese sounding brand name.

I believe EE moved production of just the mass drop quilts overseas due to the sheer number of orders. I think the mass drop page says a max amount of 550 or something crazy like that. So they moved these abroad to get the product shipped out faster.

Images

Wow if that's true I'm glad I bought from a previous drop.
    Believeing the Mass drop was just a complete rip off we called EE and the guy on the phone said the R & D people were fulfilling the Mass Drop orders.

I asked EE, here’s what they said. “Enlightened Equipment does not do the manufacturing of the Mass Drop products. The Mass Drop quilts are made in collaboration with Enlightened Equipment and this is their version of the Revelation sleeping quilt. You'll need to contact them with questions about this product. “.

My EE quilts were all custom made by EE in good old Minnesota USA, the Mass Drop ones might not use the same quality material, down, or craftsmanship. Cost savings is coming from somewhere. Hmmm, I need to pay closer attention to what I am buying from Mass Drop. Thanks for pointing this out.

Yes, thank you for pointing this out. The savings weren't that great anyway over what they offer off-the-shelf or warehouse, so I didn't pull the trigger...thankfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    I asked EE, here’s what they said. “Enlightened Equipment does not do the manufacturing of the Mass Drop products. The Mass Drop quilts are made in collaboration with Enlightened Equipment and this is their version of the Revelation sleeping quilt. You'll need to contact them with questions about this product. “.

My EE quilts were all custom made by EE in good old Minnesota USA, the Mass Drop ones might not use the same quality material, down, or craftsmanship. Cost savings is coming from somewhere. Hmmm, I need to pay closer attention to what I am buying from Mass Drop. Thanks for pointing this out.

Thx for clarifying this....I’ve bought two enigmas from EE directly but I’m lil disappointed they would put there name and reputation on something made elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am surprised EE would allow them to do that. Wonder how the warranty would work.

Doesn't seem like a lot of discount for not the same product?

Thanks for posting this though, I will be more subjective about what I look at/for on Massdrop!

I got asked about this by a few folks too...

15d shell is a good bit cheaper than a 10d. Typically .67 oz vs .9 ounce fabric weight on that. Not sure if it's EE's fabric or a generic.
    800 fill down, but still treated for those who want that.

There was a chinese company flat out ripping these off at one point... not sure if this is a case of 'if you can't beat em, join em' or what with allowing the name to be used.

Just a general FYI...
    The down market has more or less crashed. Maybe not the right word, but down prices are insane right now.

To their credit, EE did come down some but many folks have not. Montbell, Western Mountaineering and others are still the same prices.
    Some of the cottage backpack vendors have responded, but very few. None of the commercial brands seem to have.

The hammock vendors though... wow. Some of this stuff is going for half price. There is a bit of a race to the bottom among those guys.
    Most of the bigger vendors have launched Econ, budget, or other lines with slightly dumbed down designs, or heavier shells (relatively speaking).

A typical quilt uses about 5 yards of fabric. So going from a cutting edge 10d .67 ounce shell to even a 1 ounce shell- 1.65 ounces difference in weight but you may save $30 in fabric on that choice alone.
    Not to mention they then become way easier to sew... so you can rip them off pretty quickly and cut labor too.

Marty at Wilderness Logics has some 825 fill down... which you might think of as economy 850. Again...difference is minimal.

I'm not a big proponent of much past 900 fill as discussed in the past. Especially in the humid midwest and east. A bit of fog, a wet fart, and a sneeze and 900+ fills become an underfilled bag in the field.
    The point being:
    It is a fantastic time to buy down products period, from vendors who are responding to the down market and reflecting it in the final price.

It is a really good time to check out the hammock guys. Underground Quilt in particular offers quilts with the Membrane 10 shell that I use in my quilts. I feel it's one of the best UL shells available.

Wilderness Logics has a budget quilt he put together in the $150 range.

Hammock Gear uses Dutch fabrics of slightly heavier weight, but the quality is good as well.
    Loco Libre is worth checking out.

There are several others. UGQ and Hammock Gear are the larger vendors in the hammock world. OWL and Loco Libre are still very small (handful of employees).

If you want the bottom dolllar stuff- all of these vendors make good budget models... and things have gotten so much better in terms of even budget gear that these are still relatively light and well made. Easily comparable to a Kelty or REI branded gear... but lighter.

That said- with down so low I would encourage you to take advantage and buy the premium lines. IN LOWER FILL POWER.
    900 and 950 is still expensive. 850 is plenty and probably ideal for multi-day trips in all but the driest of conditions. The 800 and 850 is where the savings is right now... you start getting tempted to bump up and the price will bump right with it.

http://www.wildernesslogics.com
    http://www.hammockgear.com
    https://ugqoutdoor.com
    https://www.locolibregear.com/

The hammock guys are about where some of the backpack cottage vendors were a few years back... they are still smaller. Wait times may be pretty decent... but the quality is very high as is the service.
    With 75+ employees it's a bit hard to call EE or zpacks cottage guys any longer... not that it matters much really, but them boys grew up!

wow justbill, thats for that great reference. So you make quilts do you???

Funny I saw this drop yesterday, and was toying with the idea since my quilt is really a light weight hot summer thing only, at around 45 degree "rating". Really 50 degree comfort.
    and my colder weather bag is old, big, and heavy
    I sure am glad I saw this thread!

I rather enjoyed Just Bills market insight. I was toying with upgrading some gear and I'm a supporter of our domestic cottage manufacturers. It's unfortunate that some choose to outsource some of the production to China, Vietnam, etc.. I've seen items that were underfilled, substandard, tweaked, or changed to cut the offshore production costs.

Images

JB - thank you for the informative and useful info.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Journal Entries
    Images

I just sprayed my lunch on my monitor...one wet fart away from hypothermia... LoL
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'm not a big proponent of much past 900 fill as discussed in the past. Especially in the humid midwest and east. A bit of fog, a wet fart, and a sneeze and 900+ fills become an underfilled bag in the field.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Anyone here with experience with the UGQ quilts?

I just looked at them and I like their options the best. And thinking about pulling the trigger for my winter quilt.

++ New Posts ++