WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I met a lot of NOBOs around Pearisburg who started in late April, and one who started in early May (she was moving). I know that quite a few of them finished in October, but many of them had to become more diligent about zero days and putting in the miles before New Hampshire. A mid-April start gives you about 6 months to complete, which should be more-than-sufficient for most hikers.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

One thing I am looking forward to with this trip is not having to deal with a car!

Smile Woohoo! Our own forum!!

I'm planning on leaving mid-March..I originally wanted to start March 22nd (my dad's birthday) but I may have a ride to Springer to start on the 15th and if I can't find another ride I'll probably take it...
    How far along are you all on planning and gear purchases? I have my gear list done, just starting to get it all together. I did a tentative itinerary/maildrop list but now it looks like it is going to need reworking, and I'm trying to get myself into better shape and save money!! Just wondering where everyone else is in the planning process...I can't wait to see you all out there, sounds like it is going to be an interesting group!!

Mindi

Quote Originally Posted by mindi
    I'm planning on leaving mid-March..I originally wanted to start March 22nd (my dad's birthday) but I may have a ride to Springer to start on the 15th and if I can't find another ride I'll probably take it...
    How far along are you all on planning and gear purchases? I have my gear list done, just starting to get it all together. I did a tentative itinerary/maildrop list but now it looks like it is going to need reworking, and I'm trying to get myself into better shape and save money!! Just wondering where everyone else is in the planning process...I can't wait to see you all out there, sounds like it is going to be an interesting group!!

Mindi
    Our gear is all ready pretty set, we are looking to maybe maybe upgrade our tarp into a tarp tent for the bug protection.

I am kind of planning our first month on the trail, more now for inspiration and to keep me focused. We are also trying to hit Hot Springs on a specific weekend to celebrate Aimless's birthday.

I am planning drops but not specifically. Meaning that I am gathering food and meal items but other then the fist moth I am going to have a friend of family member pack and ship to locations when I call. I plan on labeling index cards so I can say send me Bla bla bla and 2 blas to XXX location around xx/xx/2007.
    www.simplehiker.com - Vegetarianism, Veganism, Gourmet, Big & Tall Gear, Technology, Lightweight, Simplicity

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'm coming along - thanks to my dh SKipper who gave me a tarp tent for Christmas. Still have to update my pack - I'm leaning toward trying the Osprey Areil 60 this summer, and updating my sleeping bag (maybe the SD Rosa). But I already have my two pairs of boots I'm breaking in (Salomon Canyon GTXs which are great), and have most of my clothing, including a down jacket by SD on Sierra Trading Post. And my dh is making stuff sacks out of sil nylon and is currently working on a pack rain cover. Yep, he sews good and I can't sew at all!

What I did was set up an AT folder on my computer listing my essentials, what will go in mail drops, bounce box, and what I need to do by the time I leave next year. Like I have already begun contacting work about the venture. And I also put on there valuable posts I have gotten from other forums.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I am at the point where I am getting my gear together, looking forward to summer when I can go on some shakedown hikes.
    Need to sell my house, or possibly burn it down and collect the insurance.
    Going around and around about gear, have figured out a few points where we will do mail drops , but not really what to put in them.
    Is anybody planning on doing a lot of their food ahead of time or do you plan to buy as you go?

Oh yeah that's my sister! Whoo-hoo! Corentin and I are going to kick mcshank's but!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by corentin
    Is anybody planning on doing a lot of their food ahead of time or do you plan to buy as you go?
    I think I will do both - that is, put some yuppy meals in drops that I can get at a good deal and anything else that might be more difficult to find or I end up with a good deal. I think it depends too on your budget for the hike. I'd think budgeting for this thing is gonna be hard. We want to play conservative, but it's tough to pass up that restaurant when you are starving. Plus, there will be two of us and on occasion, three.

Hiking Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mambo_tango
    Oh yeah that's my sister! Whoo-hoo! Corentin and I are going to kick mcshank's but!!
    Dream on baby.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest
    Dream on baby.
    You guys are all talk!

I got most of my gear together during christmass. I still need to sew some sil stuff sacks and need to buy my bivy sack. Other than that everything is put together.
    For food I'm going to buy almost all of it as i go. I may send a box to fontana and a few other places where resuply will be difficult.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by G.H.O.S.T.
    I got most of my gear together during christmass. I still need to sew some sil stuff sacks and need to buy my bivy sack. Other than that everything is put together.
    Speaking of that, my dh Skipper just got done sewing this AWESOME pack cover out of sil nylon and put elastic in the corners. He still has to put the drawstring through it, but it turned out great. And only 3 oz before seam sealing. We also now have an assortment of sil nylon stuff sacks too that he sewed. Go to thruhiker.com for materials, etc. and good prices on sil nylon.

Hiking Blog

ThruHiker is where i got all my material. So far I have made stuff sacks, a pack cover, and I made their Whitney Down jacket. Its is 800+ fill. I added an extra section of length and I'm working on a hood. The jacket came out at 12oz and kept me warm up on Mt. LeCont in 10 degrea weather. AYCE at ThruHiker was a big help and got me all my materials very quickly.

My husband and I are hoping to go '07 mid march... were stoked!

if i can get around to graduating this december, im plannin on a 2007 thru...we'll see

hello 2007 hikers i am going sobo in 2007 leaving from maine on july 4 hope to see ya!!!!!!!!!!

Images

My plan is to leave Amicalola State Park on March 17th 2007. Looking forward to meeting the Class of 2007 on the trail.

So does anyone know the difference between The Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion and The Appalachian Trail Data Book, cause I dont know which one to get!
    Live the Dream Without risk, there is no reward. Georgia to Maine. What a reward!

the companion is a supplement to the data book if i'm right.

you can view the companion online for free here: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Quote Originally Posted by roxy33x
    So does anyone know the difference between The Appalachian Trail Thru-Hikers' Companion and The Appalachian Trail Data Book, cause I dont know which one to get!
    The data book is literly just that data... miles, zipcodes, city names etc. The guide book is a large but not too large book that has descriptons of each feature on the trail, town guides, and includes the data in the data book. Some people want more adventure so they only carry the data book or just rip the pages out of the guide book..

There is also wingfoots thru-hikers handbook @ http://www.trailplace.com/portal/dis...der_check_2006

Despite the guy having a major attitude problem, and the book being sold in the most assessnine way.. Mail him a check then he over charges you by pryority shippin it too you? How about you take paypal and just ship it to me first class? The book is a REALLY GREAT tool. I have a 2002 verson or I would order the newest one. I still might but I cant get over the dumb method of sale.

The ATC guide is suposed to be fresh and new this year with a updated frormat from what I hear.

So I don't know... with out seeing this years atc guide I would say if you were only buying 1 book buy wingfoots handbook. Other wise all three are pretty cheap, buy them all. With you and your husband planning you will be fighting over the books anyway.

lol, how long do I have to post to talk about 3 books...
    Sorry,
    JTW
    www.simplehiker.com - Vegetarianism, Veganism, Gourmet, Big & Tall Gear, Technology, Lightweight, Simplicity

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++