WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Few questions for you MLD Burn users....

Just ordered a burn as the prophet is really larger than I need for most of my trips....considered a Palante but Ron has been awesome to deal with in the past so why change..burn has been around a while and proven..my BPW with this pack and new smaller tarp should be around 8.5lbs and most of my trips only 3-4 days so should be perfect fit...

Few things in question...opinions pls...

1-I see ron now changed the top closure where it cinches closures downwards vs std roll top dry sack. I ordered my prophet like this and ended up sending back to have made stock with std dry sack closure. To me it limits filling the extension color if leaving town with extra food and looks weird...imo.

2- adding wider more padded prophet shoulder straps and deleting hip belt or simply do a remove able 1” hip belt...I’d prob never use so what’s point.

3-no hydration port...I never use them so it’s just another way for water to get into pack.

4- going w mixed colors gray pack w wasabi rear and side pockets...should be interesting looking....

Any input appreciated..

Salty, reach out to "not bad" here on WB. He purchased the Cuban burn recently and seems to like it. He went without the belt also. I tried it on and the stock shoulder straps were very comfortable loaded to the gilles with 6 days of food.

I have considered one of Ron's packs and also thought the mixing of colors would be intrestering also.

First dibs if you decide to sell your prophet.

Images

I actually like the new closure on the burn. I have had no issue filling it up. As far as the belt, I went the opposite direction and have a total of six pouches on the hip belt. Generally, two are water or Malto, two food and two commonly used stuff. The last two are standard MLD hip pouches the other four I made myself and are sized for 32 oz. gatoraid. I have had up to eight lbs in the those pouches and it realty helps distribute the weight off the shoulders with heavy water carries.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Just ordered a burn as the prophet is really larger than I need for most of my trips....considered a Palante but Ron has been awesome to deal with in the past so why change..burn has been around a while and proven..my BPW with this pack and new smaller tarp should be around 8.5lbs and most of my trips only 3-4 days so should be perfect fit...

Few things in question...opinions pls...

1-I see ron now changed the top closure where it cinches closures downwards vs std roll top dry sack. I ordered my prophet like this and ended up sending back to have made stock with std dry sack closure. To me it limits filling the extension color if leaving town with extra food and looks weird...imo.

2- adding wider more padded prophet shoulder straps and deleting hip belt or simply do a remove able 1” hip belt...I’d prob never use so what’s point.

3-no hydration port...I never use them so it’s just another way for water to get into pack.

4- going w mixed colors gray pack w wasabi rear and side pockets...should be interesting looking....

Any input appreciated..
    a review showing a lot of what you are asking

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_q1rV7DnNNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_q1rV7DnNNI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    https://youtu.be/_q1rV7DnNNI

try that link

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post

Thx..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I actually like the new closure on the burn. I have had no issue filling it up. As far as the belt, I went the opposite direction and have a total of six pouches on the hip belt. Generally, two are water or Malto, two food and two commonly used stuff. The last two are standard MLD hip pouches the other four I made myself and are sized for 32 oz. gatoraid. I have had up to eight lbs in the those pouches and it realty helps distribute the weight off the shoulders with heavy water carries.
    As far as the top closure goes I’m not really sure why but just didn’t care for it as I thought I would coming from a circuit and gorilla with similar cinch style closures vs std roll top. As far as belt goes I’ll simply carry the prophet etc if expecting more of a load or water carry. I found I enjoyed having it unbuckled if only had a few days worth of food.

I was happy with the ride of my new burn!.. I was able to carry a zpacks duplex with two tents poles( I have been going without trekking poles), 20 degree zpacks bag and full size neo air xlite. A little over two pounds extra clothes with rain gear,puffy jacket and long johns. Plus just about a week's worth of no cook food ( cold soak dinners) I like the weather resistance of the cuben pack. My old pack seemed to carry quite a bit of water weight after a storm. I also like the consistency of the material on the cuben version. The extra few liters of space in the roll top of the non cuben version is a different material was less appealing ..great pack..super well built.. standard shoulder straps were plenty comfortable..upgrading to thicker prophet straps I'd guess would be even better..another happy MLD customer!

Gossamer Gear is redoing the kumo again and should be available soon.

Some new features. Lighter. Shoulder strap pockets. Good price.

Might be something to look into

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Gossamer Gear is redoing the kumo again and should be available soon.

Some new features. Lighter. Shoulder strap pockets. Good price.

Might be something to look into

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Thx saw that......I already ordered the burn. Apparently Ron’s only building the closure the new way but think my problem with that closure on the prophet was my lack of gear inside....lil too much volume for most of my short trips.

Quote Originally Posted by notbad View Post
    I was happy with the ride of my new burn!.. I was able to carry a zpacks duplex with two tents poles( I have been going without trekking poles), 20 degree zpacks bag and full size neo air xlite. A little over two pounds extra clothes with rain gear,puffy jacket and long johns. Plus just about a week's worth of no cook food ( cold soak dinners) I like the weather resistance of the cuben pack. My old pack seemed to carry quite a bit of water weight after a storm. I also like the consistency of the material on the cuben version. The extra few liters of space in the roll top of the non cuben version is a different material was less appealing ..great pack..super well built.. standard shoulder straps were plenty comfortable..upgrading to thicker prophet straps I'd guess would be even better..another happy MLD customer!
    Glad to hear you like the MLD set up. I like the dyneema material he uses over cuben for a pack but do like my cuben duomid. Glad to hear yours handled so well with that large load..sounds promising.

Glad to hear you like the MLD set up. I like the dyneema material he uses over cuben for a pack but do like my cuben duomid. Glad to hear yours handled so well with that large load..sounds promising.

What large load? I saw that pack on the trail. I picked that pack up and put in and took it out of my wagon. That pack isn’t big enough to hold a large load. Even stuffed with small red and white boxes.
    Okay, that was after he gave the two couples on the GDMBR his bushel bag of candy. A very nice gesture indeed.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I bought a "Burn" last year (size medium) and used it on my recent Via Dinarica hike.
    I normally don't use a hip belt (long time "Go Lite Breeze" user), but decided to have it come through with a hip belt, figuring I'd cut it off if I didn't like it.
    Originally thought I might use it to hold a pouch, but never did.

The hike was tough with very steep trails and bushwhacks (not always trail to follow, just a GPS track)
    I started using the hip belt after a few weeks on some of the steeper sections and found that I liked the feeling.
    I do use a sleeping pad for the cushion and that gives the pack some structure to perhaps distribute some weight.

I love the pack, although wish I would've bought the size large.
    Mostly because I believe it is too narrow for putting things in.
    I did max it out, but on that trail, a big, propane stove is needed (old style "Bluet") as that is the ONLY fuel available.
    No alcohol, no screw on propane canisters, but readily available old style "puncture" bluet GAZ canisters everywhere.

So, my stove took up a lot of room in the pack and i had it maxed out a lot. (when carrying more than 4 days food)
    Also, we had to carry a lot of water as there is no guidebook and water sources are often locked up on that trail.
    So, my side pockets were always filled with water bottles (something I would never do on USA hikes except perhaps a few sections of CDT and southern PCT)

Anyway, like I said, the pack is great, held up well, even though I had to put close to 25 lbs in it once or twice.
    A few Europeans commented that they liked the green color too.

via dinarica pack.jpg
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I have to laugh at this. For the first month or so I had a real hate/love relationship with my Burn. Hated trying to get it loaded but once loaded LOVED the narrow feel of the pack. Since that time I custom made food bags that fit perfectly to the narrow shape and discovered the ideal loading order. I am now on my second Burn and have nothing but Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    What large load? I saw that pack on the trail. I picked that pack up and put in and took it out of my wagon. That pack isn’t big enough to hold a large load. Even stuffed with small red and white boxes.
    Okay, that was after he gave the two couples on the GDMBR his bushel bag of candy. A very nice gesture indeed.
    Wayne

The term LARGE is relative term...ask my wife

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I bought a "Burn" last year (size medium) and used it on my recent Via Dinarica hike.
    I normally don't use a hip belt (long time "Go Lite Breeze" user), but decided to have it come through with a hip belt, figuring I'd cut it off if I didn't like it.
    Originally thought I might use it to hold a pouch, but never did.

The hike was tough with very steep trails and bushwhacks (not always trail to follow, just a GPS track)
    I started using the hip belt after a few weeks on some of the steeper sections and found that I liked the feeling.
    I do use a sleeping pad for the cushion and that gives the pack some structure to perhaps distribute some weight.

I love the pack, although wish I would've bought the size large.
    I did max it out, but on that trail, a big, propane stove is needed (old style "Bluet") as that is the ONLY fuel available.
    No alcohol, no screw on propane canisters, but readily available old style "puncture" bluet GAZ canisters everywhere.

So, my stove took up a lot of room in the pack and i had it maxed out a lot. (when carrying more than 4 days food)
    Also, we had to carry a lot of water as there is no guidebook and water sources are often locked up on that trail.
    So, my side pockets were always filled with water bottles (something I would never do on USA hikes except perhaps a few sections of CDT and southern PCT)

Anyway, like I said, the pack is great, held up well, even though I had to put close to 25 lbs in it once or twice.
    A few Europeans commented that they liked the green color too.

via dinarica pack.jpg
    Cool pic..I’d say you got it maxed out!.....guess that long extension collar worked well...

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I have to laugh at this. For the first month or so I had a real hate/love relationship with my Burn. Hated trying to get it loaded but once loaded LOVED the narrow feel of the pack. Since that time I custom made food bags that fit perfectly to the narrow shape and discovered the ideal loading order. I am now on my second Burn and have nothing but Love.
    What order did you find optimized the space? My only concern is the large 25” wide xlite or xtherm, I assume it isn’t to tall for frame along my back. Also the cuben duomid eats up a lot of space...

Images

What order did you find optimized the space? My only concern is the large 25” wide xlite or xtherm, I assume it isn’t to tall for frame along my back. Also the cuben duomid eats up a lot of space...
    I do a hard soft hard..... alternating layers. From bottom to top. Extra food bag, quilt in bivy, stove, day food bag then clothing bag. Food bags are perfectly sized and I also have my regular neoair lite or xtherm in the front against my pack. Cinched down tight this makes a "unibody frame" I do use a hipbelt and unless I'm carrying many days food my shoulder straps are a bit loose and all weight is on the hip belt, a bit different approach than many with UL packs. I had thought about making my own pack but I'm not sure I have many ideas that would improve on the design.

I put my neoair and ursack folded up in the bottom of the pack first

Than sleeping bag..food ..extra clothes..and duplex on top..misc. maps..rain jacket..cold soak jar in outside pocket.. There​ is pics in the wind River range trip report

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++