WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    henry
    Journal Entries

Default concerned about HIKERHOSTEL

NO RESPONDS FOR (2) DAYS AFTER CALLING,(AND SENDING AN E-MAIL TO SCHEDULE A PICK UP FROM TRAIN STATION, IN GAINSVILLE,GEORGIA..

FURTHER PLANNING CAN NOT PROCEED UNTIL I ESTABLISH PICK UP AND LODGIING,,(TRANSPORTATION TO SPRINGER MT)

PLAN...AMTRAK TO GAINSVILLE ETA,,,8 AM MAY 18 2013.

NEED SUGGESTIONS TO MAKE ARRANGEMENTS FOR TRANSPORTATION AND PLACE TO STAY, (INORDER TO START MY 1ST HIKE)**
    THANKYOU ALL ALL.....i have gained a wealth of knowledge from all the post and readings, very helpful to making my first hike..

GA-ME 2011
    Images

They are probably very busy. You have a month before you leave, keep trying to get in touch with them. If you get down to two weeks before your start and you still haven't heard from them then I'd make different arrangements. An alternative plan would be to get a shuttle to Springer or Amicalola and spend your first night on the trail.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Step 1: find the caps lock key and press it once. Oh it looks like you did that. You are all set now.

Quote Originally Posted by henry g wilgo View Post
    NO RESPONDS FOR (2) DAYS AFTER CALLING,(AND SENDING AN E-MAIL TO SCHEDULE A PICK UP FROM TRAIN STATION, IN GAINSVILLE,GEORGIA..

FURTHER PLANNING CAN NOT PROCEED UNTIL I ESTABLISH PICK UP AND LODGIING,,(TRANSPORTATION TO SPRINGER MT)
    PLAN...AMTRAK TO GAINSVILLE ETA,,,8 AM MAY 18 2013.
    .....i have gained a wealth of knowledge from all the post and readings, very helpful to making my first hike..
    Looks like you made it.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=408471

Quote Originally Posted by Mizirlou View Post
    Thats not him.

Section Hiker

I have found the Saints to be very responsive. I'm sure there is an explanation.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

I got off the train, got in a cab, and 55 dollars later I was at Amicalola. Get a room or a tent site.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

The tent sites at Amicalola Falls State Park provide a miserable night because they are covered in gravel. IOW, it is great if you are in an RV but not so good for tenting. I'd suggest contacting Ron Brown since Wes Wisson is not shuttling far distances now. The lodge is comfortable. Their food offerings are pretty good too.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

When I was setting up my reservations through email I typically got a reply from them between 4-9pm, so keep a lookout during that time frame.

Images

I'm sure they will get back to you; betting they are very busy about now. If not, call Survivor Dave at 678-469-0978. He can provide a shuttle and help you arrange an inexpensive place to stay... and, he's just a nice guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    The tent sites at Amicalola Falls State Park provide a miserable night because they are covered in gravel. IOW, it is great if you are in an RV but not so good for tenting. I'd suggest contacting Ron Brown since Wes Wisson is not shuttling far distances now. The lodge is comfortable. Their food offerings are pretty good too.
    Yup, I remember the gravel, it didn't matter, I was so excited I never slept that night. I did have campground to myself.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    I think there is a shelter there??
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    I think there is a shelter there??
    I know there use to be one. It was on the old Approach trail just a little ways past the arch behind the visitor center.
    Conquest: It is not the Mountain we conquer but Ourselves

It's still there

This side of the dirt
    Images

If you haven't already done so also check your spam / bulk mail folder - it may have kicked the incoming over there.

I have also used them for lodging and shuttle and never had a problem – like others said it is a busy time for them.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

The Max Epperson Shelter is behind the Amicalola Falls SP Visitors Center(right near the stone arch). Then you have the Black Gap(Mountain) Shelter 7.3 miles NOBO on the Approach trail. Then 1.5 miles past that is Springer Mt Shelter 8.8 miles NOBO up the Approach Trail. There is also paid lodging at AF SP and part way up the Approach Trail on a blue blaze you also have the Len Foote Inn. Just how many options do you need? Also, the Saints are probably very busy right now(you are not the only one planning an AT hike right now!), typically more so during the later part of the week and over the weekends. The deal they offer is a pretty damn good one IMHO opinion though! The Saints aren't the only ones that shuttle to AF SP and Springer Mt either. Be patient. My guess, I would not be surprised AT ALL if the Saints or someone from the Hiker Hostel contact you on or before Mon.

Oh yeah, here's the link to the shelters on the AT and Approach Trail from yours truly WB! http://www.whiteblaze.net/atdatabase...E%20JPEG-6.pdf

henry
    Journal Entries

Thanks to all responders*****i made contact by phone...arrangements are all set for (may 19 sunday) my 1st hike and sleeping in the woods.
    Best wishes to all....

This side of the dirt
    Images

You will enjoy your stay and meeting them both. You will also have a chance to meet some fellow hikers getting ready to embark on a experience of their life time safe hiking!
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Journal Entries
    Images

Moved this thread/topic to "Hostels & Lodgings" forum.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++