WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cold soaking meals on the AT

Anyone make the shift to cold soaking/stoveless on the AT?
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

hell yeah dude - for the whole trail - no regrets. it's awesome and saves so much time, hassle, and clutter! use plastic peanut butter jar to soak any foods you "need" to boil - it just takes a bit longer at room (haha) temperature

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I don't give up the stove, but I do use cold soaking for lots of things - pre-soaking dehydrated veggies in particular, or making tabouli

I have only done it for a 200 mile hike... It went well, and I don't carry a stove anymore. However, I am not sure I would want to do that for an entire thru-hike...

I guess the only thing I’d miss is morning coffee. I have read mixing carnation with instant coffee for your caffeine fix.
    I can see myself cold rolled oats (not instant oatmeal), mixing in dried fruit and nuts. Then cold soaking some ramen noodles mixed in with tuna pack added for lunch or dinner.
    What sounds appealing is being able to get a quick jump on the hiking day and coming into a campsite at end of day, but not having to cook.

Am looking at the Vargo Ti Bot....pricey, but I like that it is made for cold soaking, but should I be near a campfire, I can always use it. Plus, I remove a lot of bulk from the cook system I would have used.
    Add: Vargo pot is 147g

Remove: MSR stove 73g
    MSR canister 190g
    Pot, mug and cozy for pot 200g
    Cozy for mug 53g
    - Finis Mitchell

Journal Entries

After two PCT thru-hikes and a CDT thru-hike I tried eating cold a few times for dinner/supper what ever you call it and realized not only does hot food tasted better but I had more energy when I woke up the next day. You are also right about morning coffee, much better hot. I carry a 16 oz nalgene bottle with a cozy around it just for coffee. Why don't you try a alcohol stove, very light weight and you can still have that hot cup of coffee?
    Blackheart

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

cold soaking is money. yes, robby...pb plastic container. everything. coffee to couscous to oats to lipton to ramen (or...just eat ramen crunchy!).

no stove worries. no fuel worries. no pots. no pans.

i did "ice" mocha every morning with whatever instant i could find, plus swiss miss hot chocolate, in my peanut butter jar. so good. almost wanna do it when i'm home, but the extra sugar makes me fat when i'm not hiking 20 miles/day

Garlic
    Images

I've been stoveless since my 2004 PCT hike, and it has improved my hiking. I hiked the CDT and the AT, among others, without a stove. But I don't cold soak anything, except maybe instant mashed potatoes, and rolled oats, and those are only for a few minutes.

Best issues for me were the reduction in pack volume and one less chore to do in town, finding fuel. And faster meals leave more time for hiking, which is why I'm out there.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Leonidas

I have never used a stove on any section hike so far. We generally do ~100 miles at a time. I use a peanut butter jar to make my protein shakes, pre-mix the whey and a veggie mix, add instant oatmeal and boom ready to go in a couple minutes after adding water. I eat pb either in the to-go cups or if a longer resupply stretch, just a 1lb jar. I have been carrying either pringles or fritos scoops but making the switch to macadamia nuts for the higher calorie to weight ratio. 230 calories per ounce of macadamias.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I go back and forth but go mainly stoveless. Wraps, Clif squeeze energy foods, Trail Butter, cheese, tuna, Spam singles, Via cold coffee in a 16 oz. Nalgene, and oatmeal or cereal in a PB jar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you sanitize the peanut butter jar after you eat from it?
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Swish with water, then wipe with a couple of sheets of toilet paper. That goes in the trash bag.

“Sanitizing” doesn’t really exist, nor is needed on the trail, IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    I wash it when I go into town for resupply. Personally, I mix my protein shake in the pb container, drink it, fill it half full again with water and get the remainder out. Sometimes I go ahead and put the next shake contents in there and soak it as well.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Journal Entries

I've tried it on a 4 nighter. Mainly to give it a fair shakedown. I didn't expect to like it, but it seemed survivable. What I really missed was my morning cup of joe. Cold doesn't work well for that and I felt deprived. Missing hot dinner seemed to wear on me over time too, also some hot breakfasts. As I found on my thru, food is morale, it can boost ones spirits or crush them. One can take the occasional hit, but multiple times a day and it does take it's toll.

I concluded that no-cook hiking is not for me, it is part of my enjoyment of the experience, and I miss it when it's not there. I also love to cook, and trail cooking is sometimes inventive, which is something I enjoy.

Lots of great feedback.
    One comment I read a lot is missing a hot meal. Others counter that by putting the container on inside of jacket and let body heat warm it up.
    While I could have gone with the next to nothing cost of a PB jar, I did get the Vargo Ti Bot. It has a screw top lid, perfect for cold soaking, drinking out of, and should there be a campfire, I can use it.
    Been testing it...cold soaking oatmeal...that worked out well. Added dried fruit and a honey packet.
    Now trying pasta to see how long it takes to soften the noodles. I’d say after 30 minutes thus far...still a bit of crunch.
    - Finis Mitchell

Alternative to a peanut butter jar. Stolen from a 2018 PCT gear list video I watched recently.
    https://www.talentigelato.com/produc...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Wayne

I like that Vargo mug type not. I'll mooch in on the fire or I'll carry an esbit tab or two and use it to cold soak.

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    Lots of great feedback.
    One comment I read a lot is missing a hot meal. Others counter that by putting the container on inside of jacket and let body heat warm it up.
    While I could have gone with the next to nothing cost of a PB jar, I did get the Vargo Ti Bot. It has a screw top lid, perfect for cold soaking, drinking out of, and should there be a campfire, I can use it.
    Been testing it...cold soaking oatmeal...that worked out well. Added dried fruit and a honey packet.
    Now trying pasta to see how long it takes to soften the noodles. I’d say after 30 minutes thus far...still a bit of crunch.

Spell check changed bot to not.

Talenti gelato jar is a good size jar and lid, and is a smooth slick plastic.

Two Tents, This one? https://www.vargooutdoors.com/titanium-ti-lite-mug-750.html
    Last edited by Connie; 05-13-2018 at 00:10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++