WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Did you come up with a diagnosis? Some have used the term hernia. Breaking the pad into quadrants, we could break it down into "hyper-inflation induced delamination hernia of the upper right quadrant."

Prognosis: DNR on file, call curbside pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    IMPORTANT UPDATE
    I came up with a plan to rebuild my dead Thermarest.

Attachment 40671
    First I studied WHY the fabric pulled away from the foam.

Attachment 40672
    Then I pulled it apart to repair each section in order from top to bottom.

Attachment 40673
    Then I laid it out properly for a hot steam glue repair. Results forthcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    Did you come up with a diagnosis? Some have used the term hernia. Breaking the pad into quadrants, we could break it down into "hyper-inflation induced delamination hernia of the upper right quadrant."

Prognosis: DNR on file, call curbside pickup.
    Diagnosis? Your assessment stands and has become the official nomenclature for all future medical field reports---although there is some disagreement regarding the "hyper-inflation" diagnosis. "Normal-inflation" may be the more correct term.

Prognosis: Dying and soon to be completely dead---cremate at next available opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I know you had a bad first date; but I've been impressed with the Exped pads thus far.
    I believe we're three generations in now and I haven't heard many busted baffle issues come up. So the kinks in the heat welded process (or whatever they use) may have been resolved.

Unlike the pure air based Xlite or Xtherm, the Exped uses a knock off of Primaloft Gold. So even if you did get a leak or a bust... provided you could get it to hold about 3/4" of air you'd get nearly the full R value of the pad in a pinch. Most field patches or tenacious tape repairs will do the job well enough to inflate to half full.

The pack size and weights are competitive with the neo-air series and they do make a wide medium which is nice. No short wide though.

Specifically the Hyperlight series, which does have a winterlight (not down) version to compare to the Xtherm.
    Orange for three season, Red for winter.

The other bonus in my opinion goes to what Alligator and others discussed- inflation. The schnozzel system is pretty good (and if it fails you can always blow it up). It's very fast and it eliminates any moisture induced bacteria, mold, mildew, whatever type problems.
    It's personal preference really- but the vertical baffles and thickened edges fit my style better and give me more usable pad than the Neo-Air design so slide offs are virtually non-existent.
    I might suspect that your Pillow failures might be simply how you use the pad as far as repeating the location of the failure and given your time spent on it sitting, lounging, reading, etc. But that's not really important... just a matter of curiosity on why your failures occur in the same spot. Do you read on your side propped up on an elbow often? Or sit that way in your bag while you cook, etc.

On the durability... I believe we've had this discussion before. Had it at WB for sure...
    I think better these days to discuss things in terms of 'nights' generally. Having run into this with SUL or UL gear being 'less durable' the argument is easily made that conventional weekend warrior or boy scout wisdom on years of durability of certain gear is simply a function of more folks doing LD hikes or spending extended time out like you do Walter.

A dedicated weekend warrior getting out once a month for two nights racks up 24 nights a year. So when that gear is claimed to last a decade... well it made it 240 nights. If a decent UL piece of gear gets through 1 or 2 through hikes or makes it for a year or so of 21 days at a crack per month then more than likely it saw more nights of use than 'Old Faithful' that was stored properly, cared for, and loved over a decade of weekends.

Continuous field use, daily packing and unpacking, temperature extremes, dirt, dust, body oils and on... 300 days of steady use without a serious issue is a pretty solid piece of gear in my book.

If that old faithful piece of gear was set out on the porch every day exposed to the elements by the weekend warrior instead of stowed in good condition even he'd probably see a few years taken off the lifespan if it didn't flat out dry rot long before 100 nights of use were achieved.

Not saying stuff should crap out; but just to keep some perspective (as I know you have) on durability.

I've been looking at a 100 night system myself...
    100 nights for SUL/FKT minded gear... not throwaway but meant to do a specific job and a serious trip at the bare minimum of specs.

200 nights- solid gear to get you through an average Big LD hike or several LASH's. But not overblown 'bomber' stuff designed for the zombie apocalypse.

300 nights- pretty bomber stuff IMO. Several pieces of UL gear like packs and sleeping quilts hit this mark even without being too overblown in design with moderate care.

More'n that... well those are those rare pieces built for death and destruction and reflected in both weight and cost...
    Like a Mystery Ranch Pack
    Excellent points! Glad to hear of your appreciation of the Exped as well. I just ordered the Duo for my wife and me. I went with the standard over the UL. For the extra pound, which essentially will be divided between us, was worth it to me for the extra security of a more sturdy pad, and a better R value.

OK, big surprise:
    A brand-new Thermarest Prolite Plus was handed to me today at the shop. Zero Money.
    The new pad has a small black blotch on the user side, so it might be a second quality sample, but thats very OK for me.

Thank you Thermarest (or Cascade Designs, respectively)!

Reminds me, got my replacement for my blown synmat, another 3-D pad. My other 3-D pad has been good, so far but it hasn't reached the 60-night threshold. Exped has been excellent, customer service wise.

Yesterday evening I did a little calculation of how many nights I've might have spent on this blown Thermarest:
    It was 4yrs old, and I had done 5 desert trips ~7 weeks each, plus several local multiday hikes, plus many nights in the backyard.
    Might sum up to 300-350 nights on this pad, at least 300 times of unrolling, inflating, and reverse.

Images

I returned a Neoair Xtherm that had developed a large number (12) of slow leaks where the horizontal ribs are laminated to one another to Cascade Designs. (I had to reinflate it once or twice a night during my 4 weeks on the Grand Enchantment this fall.) They replaced it for free. Good outfit that stands behind their products. I figure most users don't spend as much time on their pads as I do, so they build in some flex in their pricing to cover such warranty issues.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    I returned a Neoair Xtherm that had developed a large number (12) of slow leaks where the horizontal ribs are laminated to one another to Cascade Designs. (I had to reinflate it once or twice a night during my 4 weeks on the Grand Enchantment this fall.) They replaced it for free. Good outfit that stands behind their products. I figure most users don't spend as much time on their pads as I do, so they build in some flex in their pricing to cover such warranty issues.
    I too spend excessive amounts of time sleeping on my Thermarests---around 340 nights per year when including not just my trip nights but my backyard bag nights.

It's one thing to have an excellent exchange policy and it's another thing to have a pad fail on a winter trip with no recourse to such an excellent warranty. In other words, a great warranty is useless in the field after a failure. What happens in that case is I lose my trust in the product (like Exped downmats) and don't trust it enough to use on a trip.

Yeah, gotta say I'm not happy about my field failures with the two synmat 7s. They cut short two multi-day trips and I'm not sold that the baffle issue has been resolved with the 3-D replacement. I'm overnighting one for a while to see if it blows in the expected time frame.

Default June 2022 Update

As noted, when not out on a backpacking trip I sleep in the backyard on a variety of Thermarests. My latest debacle occurred recently when a Base Camp bit the dust and blew out a hernia. Alas poor Thermarest.

Have you come up with any type of field fix for that kind of delamination?

Images

That is why I carry a full length Z Rest combined with a 3/4 length Neo Air. Extra cushioning with the Neo Air but should it fail at least I have something

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Have you come up with any type of field fix for that kind of delamination?
    Don't think there's a field fix except to use whatever portion of the pad is normal. A great Thermarest warranty means nothing in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    That is why I carry a full length Z Rest combined with a 3/4 length Neo Air. Extra cushioning with the Neo Air but should it fail at least I have something
    I too carry a couple backups---a never-used NeoAir lightest one and of course a ccf pad.

Updating my Exped 3D experience, no issues after 250+ nights and 5 years. I've used it quite a few times in my Amok Dramur at 90%+ full, as well.

I'M AN IDIOT TO KEEP BUYING THERMAREST PRODUCTS!!!

I just return from a June/July backpacking trip and my newish Trail Pro pad bites the dust.

This is on Day 2 of the trip showing the beginning of delamination whereby the glued foam valleys begin to pull away from the foam and form air pockets.

Day 8 of the trip and the bulge gets bigger.

Piece O' Crap--- Day 8 Death of the Trail Pro. Looks like a comfy pillow, right? Nope, because all the air in the rest of the pad goes up into the bulge and so to have comfort you have to blow it up more but this added air just inflates the pillow and causes more foam-bursting.

End of trip Trail Pro showing continuing delamination.

Luckily I always bring an emergency NeoAir on all my trips and it works okay not great to get me thru the 18 days.

check out exped. I like mine
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    check out exped. I like mine
    I used an Exped Downmat several years ago for a 19 day winter trip and on Night 1 the thing blew a baffle requiring a serious reroute to a hidden Thermarest cache---

Images

My original 3/4 Thermarest is still going strong after roughly 35 years. It's never leaked or had any issues, but I put it aside for a full length three or four years ago, got tired of sore heels.

As with most things, the move to lighter weight is at the expense of durability.

Tipi, do you have to foot the bill to return the pad to Thermarest? How does that change the true cost of any given inflatable for you? I.e., is it inevitable at least once for any given pad, or twice, or more like every other pad eventually goes back once, etc?

I'm guessing you really value the extra cushioning (over CCF) or you wouldn't continue to bother with inflatables that are, by nature, subject to this and other types of failure.

Bummer Walter. Those pics did give me a little PTSD flashback to when my Expeds bit the dust. I know you are hesitant to trust things after big disappointments but I think Exped solved baffle issues with the newer pads.

Time Zone, not sure about Thermarest but Exped did not want the pads back. My experience was; send a pic, give them the model/production number and they sent replacement.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++