WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Journal Entries
    Images

Epic! I really need to get one of those fancy goretex laminate capes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Seems like a good time to dig this one up.

https://pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The title of the thread was, "Have we all been brainwashed into using tents?"

This is a deliberately provocative and pejorative way of introducing the topic. It casts doubt on the credulity of those who use tents.

It's not what one would say if one were looking for an honest, open discussion. So in this case, all "blame" goes to the OP, and the thread title.
    Yep, great example of a thread that creates some minor conflict, for some at least, right off the bat. What's nice about donating $10 to WB is that you can permanently turn a thread off from ever seeing it again.

The old "loaded question".... when did you stop beating your wife? .... are you one of those stupid people who xxxxx?

Journal Entries

I thought it was "Are you still beating your wife?"
    Blackheart

Journal Entries
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    I have to judge people by my standards because my way is the only right way. So if you're not doing it the same way I'm doing it, then well, you're doing it wrong. And its my responsibility as a good citizen to point that out to you and rub your nose in it if necessary.
    It'll be easier for you to understand once you acknowledge you've been living your life all wrong up until now.
    As one who hikes my own hike, and for whom the approbation of strangers means little — I am perfectly cool with that.

As one who still learns from Whiteblaze and other forums, I would much prefer direct, heart-felt and passionate opinions (and even advise) over one’s that are designed to stroke my ego and preserve my feelings.

Part of being a man, I think.

Of course, times are changing and for the sake of the more easily bruised personalities out there it’s is probably good to pepper one’s post with a few stock phrases like:

”I see exactly what you are saying, but ...”

”Good idea”

”Interesting point. What do you think about ...”

Not to mention a smiley face.

The title of the thread was, "Have we all been brainwashed into using tents?"
    This is a deliberately provocative and pejorative way of introducing the topic. It casts doubt on the credulity of those who use tents.
    It's not what one would say if one were looking for an honest, open discussion. So in this case, all "blame" goes to the OP, and the thread title.
    Being the OP on the quoted thread, I must accept the blame for my wording. Provocative, yes. Pejorative, I hope not.

If you read the thread (if you haven't already), or even my first post in it, I hope you will notice that there is no attempt at disparaging tent users, but rather disparaging the assumption that tents are, by default, a necessary tool for sleeping in the backcountry.

My attempt, and I think the actual direction of the thread, has been very much opening discussion about the origin of our assumptions, not our chosen practices.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Being the OP on the quoted thread, I must accept the blame for my wording. Provocative, yes. Pejorative, I hope not.

If you read the thread (if you haven't already), or even my first post in it, I hope you will notice that there is no attempt at disparaging tent users, but rather disparaging the assumption that tents are, by default, a necessary tool for sleeping in the backcountry.

My attempt, and I think the actual direction of the thread, has been very much opening discussion about the origin of our assumptions, not our chosen practices.
    you were fine it was clear what your intentions were - overly thin skins abound on the interwebs...

Why do we want people to think and be like us? There is never one approach trail in life unless you are myopically minded. Viva la difference as the French say.

If you want serious fascism head over to bikeforum.net/touring the heavier the better. And worse.

When a large percentage of the hobby comes down to personal style and preference, it's unproductive to make definitive statements like "X is better than Y", without qualifying them with "... for me".

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Agree, except the "sad" part. It's just the way it is when folks "converse" and they are not face to face. I've seen it on many forums (fora?). No big deal, just expect snarkiness and some rudeness on here and elsewhere, still a very valuable tool for exchanging ideas.
    This is actually a fairly tame board for the most part. The only boards I've been on that are less argumentative are hammock forums and Bushcraft USA. You'll always get some snarkiness online.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Why? Because I set the standard. Sorry to have to state the obvious. The rest of you n00bs need to get onboard. Now!

Back in prehistory, people read books. One read of (for example) Colin Fletcher's "Complete Walker" would probably summarize 99% of the gear discussions that ever took place on this forum. That's just one book of many.

What the forum does show is that for 100 hikers, there are 150 ways to git 'er done. All our clever schemes work, except when they don't.

Arguing about gear is pointless.

Hiker to Bryson: What made you buy a Gregory pack?
    Bryson to Hiker: Well, I thought it would be better than carrying everything in my arms.

The audience participation at WhiteBlaze is composed of a rather small gene pool focused on an even smaller hiking environment.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

In my humble opinion, if someone seeks information on the internet, and especially an online forum, they should be prepared to tune out crap such as personal attacks and soapbox statements and focus on getting the actual info they need. If someone seeks to "disparage" another person's assumption, they should enter the fray with a very thick skin. Just my opinion and just what works for me. Post your own post

Back in prehistory, people read books. One read of (for example) Colin Fletcher's "Complete Walker" would probably summarize 99% of the gear discussions that ever took place on this forum. That's just one book of many.

What the forum does show is that for 100 hikers, there are 150 ways to git 'er done. All our clever schemes work, except when they don't.

Arguing about gear is pointless.

Hiker to Bryson: What made you buy a Gregory pack?
    Bryson to Hiker: Well, I thought it would be better than carrying everything in my arms.
    pretty much sums her up...can the last person to leave please turn off lights.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post

OK, however I still don't buy the argument that tarping is somehow a "wilder outdoor experience" than using a tent... or whatever. For me it always comes down to the right tool for the job and sometimes when I choose the wrong tool I get whapped.

I used a bivy the last 4 nights around Stratton, so was that and even wilder experience? Nope. I had a strong 4G signal on the smartphone and checked the weather forecast, found 0% chance of rain and therefore didn't bother stringing up the tarp. I guess that was "managing risk," heh.

It was right around when she stopped beating me !

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    OK, however I still don't buy the argument that tarping is somehow a "wilder outdoor experience" than using a tent...
    Obviously, it's quite personal. In generally, I feel that in a particular situation (place and time) in most cases (depending on your tarp pitch and tent zip), a tarp is more exposed and "wild" than a tent. That being said, many people would be willing to pitch a tent in "wilder" places they would not try and sleep if they only had a tarp, so for them, the tent provides, maybe, a wilder experience.

For me, in most backpacking (not mountaineering) situations, I find sleeping under the stars or under a tarp to be a more open and wild experience, because frankly, most backpacking is done along relatively sheltered corridors during seasons with relatively moderate weather where, for me, tents are overly isolating.

And, for what it's worth, when one zips themselves into a bivy, to me, it's more like an super small tent than an open tarp. But, if one sleeps in a bivy with their head outside to be covered up if it rains or the bugs get bad, then it's more like cowboy camping. I think the trick is to play with the options (instead of assuming an ideal) and figure out what makes each experience best for each of us.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    It appears that on occasion we become so consumed with why someone chooses to employ different gear or ideas or techniques than we would.

A great example is;

1. The tech versus no-tech argument

2. Or the tent versus tarp argument

I’m not looking to understand these arguments but rather why we want to judge other people by our standards.

I understand if the individual is not practicing LNT or if the individual is possibly exposing themselves to danger from a lack of general or specific knowledge. I also understand if someone asks your opinion on a specific piece of gear or technique.

An individual’s opinion is related to his/her experiences, training, etc.

How do we encourage a HYOH mentality with become snobs along the way.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same deal in just about any equipment-related forum out there. If someone has something that works for them, that means it works for everybody, right?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++