WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why?

Default Why?

It appears that on occasion we become so consumed with why someone chooses to employ different gear or ideas or techniques than we would.

A great example is;

1. The tech versus no-tech argument

2. Or the tent versus tarp argument

I’m not looking to understand these arguments but rather why we want to judge other people by our standards.

I understand if the individual is not practicing LNT or if the individual is possibly exposing themselves to danger from a lack of general or specific knowledge. I also understand if someone asks your opinion on a specific piece of gear or technique.

An individual’s opinion is related to his/her experiences, training, etc.

How do we encourage a HYOH mentality with become snobs along the way.

TF

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A product of relative anonymity. Most forums are this way, sadly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Agree, except the "sad" part. It's just the way it is when folks "converse" and they are not face to face. I've seen it on many forums (fora?). No big deal, just expect snarkiness and some rudeness on here and elsewhere, still a very valuable tool for exchanging ideas.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Seems like a good time to dig this one up.

https://pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

It's still a valuable resource, agreed, it would just be nice if people sought to rise above. Sad? I believe so. I certainly find no joy in reading rude posts. It doesn't bring out the best in people. I'm often tempted to respond in kind. Which isn't good.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    Anonymity for sure, and also the missed cues that occur without face-to-face interaction. Without being on here a while and getting a feel for the personalities behind the user names, it's hard to know what someone's words really mean.

Journal Entries

Discussing relative merits is not same as trying to convince someone to do it your way.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    and also the missed cues that occur without face-to-face interaction
    That's a big one. It can be difficult to convey humor in writing. I think I'm hilarious, but I know I've hit the wrong chord many times. I do try to keep it positive and only post when I have something I think I can contribute, but it doesn't always work out that way.

To the OP question, of course we want to judge others by our own standards, we don't know any others.

I think it's just the way people are on a lot of topics.

We get this idea that the way we do things is the right or enlightened way, and feel the need to spread that idea to others. The littlest amount of resistance or unwillingness by others to do things the way we like to do them causes confusion and anger, or a feeling that we're not being heard "Why would you possibly use X when you could save 6 ounces by using Y??!!".

Showing an understanding of the other person's point of view and a willingness to compromise is the only way to really settle a debate(and eventual argument), especially on the internet.

Why not?

Every gear choice has it's pro's and con's. One must understand the limitations or advantages of various choices, taking in account where, when and how far you'll go.

Take the tent/hammock choice. Both have valid advantages and disadvantages. Listen to what people like and dislike about the two systems and try to decide which system you want to invest in. Unless you can try both and then make up your mind.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post
    . . . why we want to judge other people by our standards. . .
    I think it helps us validate ourselves. Why is it important for my wife to be right in an argument when, to me, the object is to figure out the best option regardless of the source of the idea?

I think it's tied to our self worth and acknowledgement by other people that our ideas are valid and valued to verify that we, ourselves, are valued.

As for nurturing the HYOH philosophy, I don't really care, except, in the end, more people have more fun in the outdoors if they can discover and then hike their own hike, and I do care about people getting out and having fun outdoors. So, to me, HYOH is really mostly a reminder to those of us giving advice to remember that other people that also enjoy the things we enjoy don't always enjoy them exactly the same way, and therefore, we should make an effort to be cognoscente of that so we can get back to having fun in a way that works for each of us instead of trying to force others have have fun in the same way we do.

How to nurturer HYOH? When we see one person trying to force their hike on someone else, or when we see someone trying to force themselves into a hiking style that doesn't work for them, speak (type?) up. Call each other on it when we see it. Congratulate each other when we do a good job of promoting HYOH.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I'm having to work on promoting HYOH within my own home. I've spent enough nights on the ground to know I'd like to try something different. From backyards to campsites to clear spots beside a trail - I never fail to find the spot with the rocks and roots that will bubble up from just beneath the surface overnight. My son is a hard-core stomach sleeper (and 26 years younger) so he's fine with a tent. We can both have what we want with negligible weight difference. This is just one example of several differences that we talk over regularly. None of them are critical issues from a warmth/safety standpoint, so there's no need to get torqued down over anything. It's not as easy when you don't have a clear picture of the premise of the question that someone is asking.

Ultimately I hope to join him for the first couple of weeks of his thru hike (a longer stretch than either of us have been out at any one time) and when we get back to the car he can have some options snd we'll both have a better idea of what works (and more important, what doesn't) for each of us. Who knows, we might be ready to swap at that point.

Patience and understanding is probably something we can all practice better at one time or another.

Thanks to the OP for making me think.

I think along those same lines. It validates ourselves....more of an inward pointing thing usually than the outward judging of others that is projected by it.
    it helps us to think through our ideas and try to justify to ourselves that we are doing the right thing.....that I am doing the right thing for "me"....doesn't have to be the right thing for "you"....but it helps to have folks to agree to verify our thinking. Maybe helps our own ego while we're at it.....

why someone chooses to employ different gear or ideas or techniques than we would.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why?
    Well, why would you even go into a gear forum, if not to learn different ideas or techniques.
    Or to give your opinion.
    I don't understand.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

I didn't like hammocks, they sleep way too comfy in them. So I make up some **** in my mind to make it seem what they are doing is wrong, and how they are ruining it for the rest of us. I get up on my soapbox and peach it to many. I convert others to my view and make more **** up, like how they are harming trees, I then have all those folks echoing my views as if it was their own. I realize my mistake, repent of my error, welcome my brother sister hanger hiker and am saved. However the hordes I have converted to anti-hanging are still out there, lurking in tents in the backcountry campgrounds just seething about thoughts hamocking just a few yards away. They need help and love in rder to reach their heart and have them see the light as I did. God bless them.

...just making conversation. you guys seem more interested in this stuff than my other acquaintances.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    ...just making conversation. you guys seem more interested in this stuff than my other acquaintances.
    I would imagine if you go to a fine wine based forum you'll find that group of people more interested in that stuff than most of your other acquaintances too.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Why?
    Well, why would you even go into a gear forum, if not to learn different ideas or techniques.
    Or to give your opinion.
    I don't understand.
    I agree.

Debating the merits of this vs that is not being judgmental as long as the conversation doesn't end with "You're wrong and I'm right."

"Tent vs tarp" is not an argument if you're discussing the strengths and weaknesses of each in different environments. If at the end of the process, and having all available information and opinions, someone chooses a system that I have found to be inadequate for me — such as tarp-only in an environment with a lot of insects — all I can say is good luck and please let us know how it turned out. We've all had to learn things the hard way sometimes.

I’m not looking to understand these arguments but rather why we want to judge other people by our standards.
    I have to judge people by my standards because my way is the only right way. So if you're not doing it the same way I'm doing it, then well, you're doing it wrong. And its my responsibility as a good citizen to point that out to you and rub your nose in it if necessary.

It'll be easier for you to understand once you acknowledge you've been living your life all wrong up until now.

The title of the thread was, "Have we all been brainwashed into using tents?"

This is a deliberately provocative and pejorative way of introducing the topic. It casts doubt on the credulity of those who use tents.

It's not what one would say if one were looking for an honest, open discussion. So in this case, all "blame" goes to the OP, and the thread title.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++