WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

As noted, you won't find a UL pack at REI or any big retailer. And a UL pack may not be a good choice unless you go all out with UL gear.

My favorite pack is getting worn out and I also keep looking at the Zpack Arc Haul as a replacement. I'm not a fan of frameless packs. But if I get an Arc Haul, I'll also want to get a cuben fiber tent and rain jacket, a quilt and new pad. And a down puffy. Now I'm in the hole for close to 2 grand. But it would be a little easier to carry then my current load, which typically runs a little over 20 pounds with 3-4 days of food and a little water. I guess I need to see how much spare change I can scrape up over the winter. Unless everyone who reads this sends me $1.00
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I hate pack shopping. For me, I plan on spending almost as much on postage to return the misses as I finally do on a keeper during the shopping process. I've wanted to have an ultralight pack for years but never found one that was really comfortable, only tolerable. I have found one that I'm keeping and growing to really like: Gossamer Gear Mariposa. It isn't suitable for all my needs but for weekends and on-trail section hikes I'm liking it.

I think you should consider:
    the amount of weight you will subject it to and thus to you,
    the volume you intend to put in it,
    and your loading/organizational preferences.

Example-I used to have a ULA Conduit. I was pushing its upper limits for hauling weight and it didn't have a top lid, volume was ok. I sold it and switched to an Osprey Exos 48, about a lb more but it carries much better and organization is great with it.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Attachment 40707
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    As My favorite pack is getting worn out and I also keep looking at the Zpack Arc Haul as a replacement. I'm not a fan of frameless packs....
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, or Maybe our definitions are different, but the Arc Haul is not a frameless pack. The UL frame that it does have does a pretty decent job of spreading the load to the waist belt.

In fact, the Arc Haul has a significantly better UL frame than the ULA OHM, one of its endearing qualities. I believe, but check me, that zpacks has a decent return policy, you could always check the pack out around the house and return is not satisfied.

One other aspect that I like about the Arc Haul.... My Arc Haul's 2nd ever trip was a technical climbing trip, and on these trips I usually bring a separate summit pack, but because of the AH's low weight, I decided to do the trip with just the one pack. So, I wore the AH on summit day, a very long, technical day with lots and lots of sharp rock, the pack constantly sliding over rough surfaces, I was really expecting to abrade some serious holes in just one trip. In fact, my wife did wind up with all sorts of blemishes/small tears on her OHM 2.0 that she carried that day. My Arc Haul still looked essentially new. I was impressed.

No, not really a good climbing pack, but it did the trick, hauling a lot of climbing gear with 3 days of BP gear/food. I'm guessing maybe 40 pounds. My OHM2.0 would have not worked.

Here's the Arc Haul bustin' one of maybe 100 moves on the Grand Teton... yes, I was on a rope.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As Wayne says, essentially the same however the Zpack version does have the advantage of being able to adjust the curve of the vent panel and I presume the panel tension. So I'll gladly go with amending my proclamation to "one of the best" and let Wayne tell you if the extra vent area above the straps and at the rear belt area on the Exos is worthy of extra consideration. Regardless, for me the venting makes these the only ones to consider and then its just deciding on plain and inexpensive vs option city and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I forgot to mention in my post hawking the zpacks Arc series... one main reason I love the Arc Haul is the fact that it DOES, indeed, have essentially the same back ventilation system as the Exos. Fantastic.

i just unboxed my Arc Blast this morning. All I can say at this point is that it sure is light!...and I like the look of it so far.
    Haven't had a chance to adjust and sort it out yet.....

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Attachment 40707 Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, or Maybe our definitions are different, but the Arc Haul is not a frameless pack. The UL frame that it does have does a pretty decent job of spreading the load to the waist belt.
    That came out a little backwards. I'm not a fan of frameless packs, that's why I'm considering the Haul.

The "bag with straps" types of UL packs which press up against your entire back get real sweaty, even in cool weather. Found that out with the ULA "CDT" pack I bought. Plus I'd prefer to have a real zipped pocket on the back, not just a cargo net. I just don't like the looks of the cargo net stuffed with odds and ends.

The Haul has enough of a frame to reduce the sweaty back problem and help transfer load to the hips. Plus it can come with a zippered rear pocket. Sounds like a good idea to me.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Absolutely love my Arc Haul after about 250 miles this season. It’s amazing that a 1.5ish pound pack can handle a 30 lb load with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SwathHiker View Post
    I love my ULA Circuit at 40 Oz with a real frame and padding and sturdy material plus true short torso size frame and female harness. But I just got a Z packs scout now that they make one in short torso for my thru hike at 23 Oz. I had to buy lumbar pad and belt pockets and side connectors all off which come on my Circuit for 235 and put me all in around 380 for a Z packs made of thinner version of the same Robin material. Both are nice. If I didn't need to cut weight so badly for a knee issue I would stick with the Circuit.

+1 ULA

Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Robic fabric is used by ULA, Goss Gear, and avail on the Z packs scout which is the only one in your size with a frame. Robic is pretty much waterproof though maybe not absolutely like cuben fiber. If anyone knows from extended rain use of Robic.

A Human Being.

I’m really liking the MLD frameless prophet so much I just ordered a burn...it is more comfortable than my Gorilla or circuit for -25 lb loads...they’re so many great cottage gear mfg I don’t think you can go wrong as long as you match pack to your gear and hiking style and budget.

MLD
    ULA
    Gossamer gear
    Zpacks
    Hyper light mtn Gear...no personal experience with but heard great reviews..

I have had the Arc Haul Zip for 2+ years and love it. Not a youngster anymore so the lighter pack is great. I've had up to 38lbs in it (17.5kg) when I had to carry 6lts of water + 5 days food and it handled it no problems, didn't feel any different than carrying 25 lbs. It's been on about 90 days of walking and no noticeable wear.

With the suspension I've noticed that some people have trouble with it slipping/loosening. I asked Joe and ZPAcks if you should leave the tension on, once you have it right, or relax it after each walk. He gets it right and leaves it there, and the pack supports show no memory, ie stay bent, but straighten even after months of use. That being the case I got mine right and then knotted the ends so it can't slip.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

the only Zpacks short torso is the scout but it's the same. or the Nero. REI has osprey and the women's version of the talon is good and is 2 pounds 4 Oz and has more pockets than the Exos.

A Human Being.

somehow I replied to myself on page 3 rather than here so please backtrack re Zpacks and REI options.

A Human Being.

granite gear day packs Virga also great if they still make that. awesome actually.

A Human Being.

Would like you thoughts on several that you might suggest I try on .
    ULA, Osprey, Zpacks

Which one do you have and what about it sold you on it.
    ULA - I wouldn't call it ULTRAlight....Just light..
    What sold me on the Circuit was its simplicity, it was half the weight of my old pack and at a fair price point for what I wanted to spend while still boasting a quality reputation. As well as it seemed to be a pretty durable product.

Which factors would you consider before buying a specific one?
    Depends on where I am at in life and what I am doing. I've spent 52 nights on trail thus far in 2017. So I consider that to be a pretty good amount of time using my stuff. However I have other interests and obligations so price point is still a variable for me, but I also don't buy junk so I put price point as a medium factor. Quality, and weight come before versatility for me. I am a repeat user. I repeatedly set my tent up and sleep in it the same way - so I don't need my stuff to be versatile. In my opinion, the more versatile something is, the larger the fail factor is. I rather have 1 thing that does 1 thing. Other then my trek poles of course.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I have Zpacks ArcBlast with hip pockets and the ULA Circuit -both a good, I use the ArcBlast the most.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    To look at the Arc Haul one would not think that thing would not be very comfortable, but it's really a smart and unique design.
    I wanted to correct my double negative here. This was supposed to say "To look at the Arc Haul one would not think that thing would be very comfortable". It's a really cool design because there are metal bars and other things attached to the back area that appear as if they would be hitting up against your back. But then a magical thing happens...you pull the two little straps to make the arc and it all "goes away" (i.e. doesn't touch your back). I also really like the shoulder strap adjustment.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

I love my Osprey Exos 58. Long torso happens to fit me perfectly, it comes out to 61L which is too big for most of my purposes, but it handles 40 lb loads with ease, and I never sweat. Just over 2.5 lbs, but you're getting the benefits of the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I love my Osprey Exos 58. Long torso happens to fit me perfectly, it comes out to 61L which is too big for most of my purposes, but it handles 40 lb loads with ease, and I never sweat. Just over 2.5 lbs, but you're getting the benefits of the frame.
    I'm seriously trying to decide between this and the 48. I don't like going over 50 but it may be nice to have the extra room if needed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++