WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Ive got a golite jam 50 (medium) and a beautiful custom elemental horizons kalais (medium) that I was going to post for sale soon. Let me know if youre interested.

Quote Originally Posted by tawa View Post
    Which factors would you consider before buying a specific one?
    What will you be using the pack for? If you are staying on trail, the UL packs are really nice. If you plan on doing any cross-country work they may not hold up very well.

I love my ULA pack, but it's strictly a trail-only pack.

Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Fit and features are things are things that can be checked first hand at a brick and motar store. I guess that is the drawback of the cottage industry. Unless you are lucky enough to run across the pack of interest in the field you are limited to second hand information.
    Quite a few comments suggesting brick and morter is superior to the cottage industries because you can try stuff on. The cottage industries are the ones pushing the envelope on materials and design. You call, and the owner/designer is likely to answer the phone. That person will talk you through sizing and fitting. And they have generous return policies. So you can try it on, and return it if it doesn't fit. The forums here are full of hikers with hundreds and thousands of miles on their packs. So you can get lots of feedback on design issues.

When you go to REI you're lucky if you get someone with any experience. They'll sell you a 65l pack cause that's what their training tells them one needs for anything over a weekend. They have outrageous return policies because they can afford to. But they don't carry any pack I'm interested in. They don't carry anything I'm interested in cause they havn't embraced ultralight backpacking. I've been a member since 1972, the only thing I expect to find there is clothing and fuel.

Having said that, those Exos are kinda nice. But they have tiny little hip belt pockets, and I've been spoiled by my Ohm2.

I love my ULA Ohm2, but it took me a few iterations to get the volume and weight of my kit small enough to rock it. Yes, it's a deep bag some might say lacks organizational features. That's the nature of UL. I have no problem with organization with the huge exterior pockets.

Finally, I'm just fed up with the industry-wide, half-assed design criteria that thinks packs don't need to be waterproof. My next pack will be waterproof, or nearly so. Right now that means Zpacks or Hyperlight Mountain Gear for me.

And you won't find those in REI.

Good luck, hope you find the one.
    Last edited by LDog; 11-03-2017 at 16:31.
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    What will you be using the pack for? If you are staying on trail, the UL packs are really nice. If you plan on doing any cross-country work they may not hold up very well.

I love my ULA pack, but it's strictly a trail-only pack.
    Which ULA pack are you using? Why do you say that it is trail only?
    I had a Catalyst last year and there was nothing about the pack that said, "For use on trails only."
    I do wish it had said, "Don't let your granddaughter talk you out of it." Grinning.
    ULA does have a few dealers on the east coast near the AT. I bought a Catalyst in Maryville, TN.
    Backcountry Gear in Eugene, OR carries HMG packs.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Which ULA pack are you using? Why do you say that it is trail only?
    Because after I took it down Gorin's Gully on the way to El Picahco del Diablo it was thrashed. Both hip belt pockets were ripped out, and gashes and tears in the main pack body.

No fault of ULA! It was my fault for using the wrong tool for the job. I love my Circuit. It carries better than any pack I've ever had. I also purchased this one at a store, Nomad Venture's in Joshua Tree. They offer great customer service, too. After I thrashed my pack they repaired it at a very reasonable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    Because after I took it down Gorin's Gully on the way to El Picahco del Diablo it was thrashed. Both hip belt pockets were ripped out, and gashes and tears in the main pack body.

No fault of ULA! It was my fault for using the wrong tool for the job. I love my Circuit. It carries better than any pack I've ever had. I also purchased this one at a store, Nomad Venture's in Joshua Tree. They offer great customer service, too. After I thrashed my pack they repaired it at a very reasonable cost.
    Thank you. I'm too old to attempt something like that. I guess there's Off Trail and then there's WAY OFF TRAIL.
    I totally agree that the ULA Catalyst carried like a dream come true while I had it.
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++