WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tip Shuttle Driver?

I will be going solo this weekend and thus need a shuttle from my truck to where I'm starting.

Contacted a shuttle service and scheduled a pickup and an agreed upon price. Since I am solo it is kinda pricey.

Didn't know if it is customary to tip a shuttle driver, or if it is built into the price.

If the person shuttling me owns and runs the service I usually do not tip, they have set the price they want and that's what I give them. Unless I have interrupted the plan in someway, requesting a different pickup time/ day then originally agreed upon.

If the shuttle driver works for an outfitter/ does not own the business I tip them $10-20.

This is how I range what is fair for shuttle prices however others might not agree:

Less than or equal to $1.00/ mile: Shuttle driver is doing it because they love helping the trail
    $1.00-$1.50 they are covering their expenses
    $2+/ mile it is a business to make money.
    Last edited by Alligator; 10-19-2017 at 22:19. Reason: Excessive verbiage unrelated to actually answering the question.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Shuttle drivers I know calculate the mileage: from their home base to you + your shuttle + their return to home.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Shuttle drivers I know calculate the mileage: from their home base to you + your shuttle + their return to home.
    This makes sense. I was just trying to get an idea for a shuttle cost from Neels Gap (leaving car) to Amicalola Falls to start, and it was $80 for both of us. I could pretty much take a 2nd vehicle and cover gas all the way from South GA round trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamb0ne View Post
    I will be going solo this weekend and thus need a shuttle from my truck to where I'm starting.

Contacted a shuttle service and scheduled a pickup and an agreed upon price. Since I am solo it is kinda pricey.

Didn't know if it is customary to tip a shuttle driver, or if it is built into the price.
    i do a lot of shuttles and i will not accept tips unless they strongly insist. do you tip an airline pilot?

I'm one of the, shall we say, most frugal people you'll meet... I'm cheap

But I believe in tipping service people. Worked as a mate in college, always tipped since . ergo I tip my shuttle driver. Nothing excessive, 10 bucks on average.

Yes. I appreciate the service immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i do a lot of shuttles and i will not accept tips unless they strongly insist. do you tip an airline pilot?
    I think the airline pilot might make enough with their wage.

If someone drives me around for $1 or $1.50 per mile or just over (which often seem to be the case) because they like hikers and are friendly people, I don't mind giving them a tip. I believe that there is no expectation of this from small shuttle services, and do it only if you can afford it and think they deserve it.

Images

I think the airline pilot might make enough with their wage.

depends upon airline and what airplane one is flying....

many pilots dont make much...

for some puddle jumpers, making less than 25k......

Quote Originally Posted by taylorshiver View Post
    This makes sense. I was just trying to get an idea for a shuttle cost from Neels Gap (leaving car) to Amicalola Falls to start, and it was $80 for both of us. I could pretty much take a 2nd vehicle and cover gas all the way from South GA round trip.
    Do the math also including insurance, maintenance, cost of car, and your time and see if the quote makes better sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    depends upon airline and what airplane one is flying....

many pilots dont make much...

for some puddle jumpers, making less than 25k......
    that's a good point.
    I mostly think that tips belong for individual service that you think were good value and good service. I rarely end up tipping for things that have multiple clients/participants. I just don't get the model or know what they're making/receiving.

Tipping should be a form of appreciation for the level of service provided. If your airline pilot manages to land safely in the Hudson river then a box of chocolates is in order

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Tipping should be a form of appreciation for the level of service provided. If your airline pilot manages to land safely in the Hudson river then a box of chocolates is in order
    Then again, if your A.T. Shuttle driver lands you in the Hudson River, a tip probably isn't warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    If the person shuttling me owns and runs the service I usually do not tip, they have set the price they want and that's what I give them. Unless I have interrupted the plan in someway, requesting a different pickup time/ day then originally agreed upon.

If the shuttle driver works for an outfitter/ does not own the business I tip them $10-20.

This is how I range what is fair for shuttle prices however others might not agree:

Less than or equal to $1.00/ mile: Shuttle driver is doing it because they love helping the trail
    $1.00-$1.50 they are covering their expenses
    $2+/ mile it is a business to make money.
    Gambit's answer seems pretty accurate, though I'll add two things

1) I'll tip self employed shuttlers if they were informative and enjoyable to talk to. I've had shuttlers give a lot of good pointers about the area both on trail and off that I wouldn't have gotten otherwise, I greatly appreciate this sort of thing and tip accordingly.

2) With regards to using the shuttle rate to decide it it is someone being helpful vs. making a profit (which plays into my decision on tipping.) I find that up north a lot of shuttlers quote much lower per mile rates, but charge their total milage starting at their driveway and including their ride back home, so it's common for me to get quotes of under a dollar a mile where they are still making a profit
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 10-20-2017 at 13:22.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

We just used a shuttle in southern Virginia. We tipped. The AT community is small. An extra $10 out of your pocket isnt going to break the bank but I bet the driver will sure appreciate it. Pay it forward

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Unlike waiters and waitresses (in the U.S.) a shuttle driver isn't a position where tips are universally expected. But at the same time, providing a tip isn't unexpected.

Obviously there will always be situations where a tip is warranted... case in point:
    (LOL ).

For me, if I've enjoyed my time with the shuttle driver, I usually include a tip, even if it's just rounding up the fare to the next $5 increment.

Journal Entries

Not if he meant to land at LGA and came up short...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-20-2017 at 11:18.

My feeling is this: they provide a valuable service to the AT hiking community, tip them at least 12-20%. Yes, many do factor in their fee into the price upfront, and I've used AT shuttles many times in my hiking career on the AT. But again, spread a little of your money to those who provide the most for us-I know money is tight, until of course, someone hits the bar after putting in many AT miles, then counting cash goes out the window!!! Just my opinion.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Do the math also including insurance, maintenance, cost of car, and your time and see if the quote makes better sense.
    Generally the extra time it takes to shuttle cars ourselves is a significant amount of time, and we're usually on a tight schedule trying to make the most of our time away from work. Also, the trip is usually a lot more enjoyable if we can all ride there in one car rather than taking two cars.

If a shuttle cost a little more than the gas for a second car, I still usually find it worth the expense.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    We just used a shuttle in southern Virginia. We tipped. The AT community is small. An extra $10 out of your pocket isnt going to break the bank but I bet the driver will sure appreciate it. Pay it forward
    Yes, this. I always tip, usually $20 or so for a 60-70 mile shuttle.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

-

if I think the price is on the cheap side I will round up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++