WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by NC Hiker/Angler View Post
    Art Loeb Trail near Brevard NC is 30 miles. Fantastic trail.
    Yeah been wanting to do this trail for a while. The only downside is there is no easy way to get to the north side. Takes a long time drop a vehicle then drive back at the southern terminus of the trail. Also that trail is hit fairly hard that time of year. Was there last year during the same week and they had a huge mountain biking race. The mountain biking near Brevard is insane.

Quote Originally Posted by mondata View Post
    Whats the best 30-35 mile section of that trail if you had to choose?
    This is for the Foothills Trail. The very best 30 mile stretch is Laurel Fork Creek to Whitewater Falls. It comes out at right around 30 miles. You could probably add a few miles if you choose an access point before or after these two access points.

Sipsey wilderness in northern AL is beautiful and this is the best time of year. Spring brings rain and flooded unfordable streams. Summer is oppressively hot. Call is perfect! Rippey cabin, lots of caves, waterfalls, cool rock formations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the best 30-35 mile section of that trail if you had to choose?
    I cant recall trail head or parking info but I enjoyed most sections esp the first section along the chattooga river and last 15-20 miles into table rock. Try Jim for info and shuttle or check out fht website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinging Tipi Walter...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I should have been more specific in my original post. I am not looking to hike any part of the AT. I have done a good bit of hiking in the the southeast but there are always sections of trails that I forget about or have never thought about. I am taking 6 guys on a backpacking trip the first weekend in November. I was planning on doing a 32 mile stretch in the Big South Fork but I wanted to have a backup trail in case of bad weather. Things I am interested in are views, interesting geological features and plenty of water. Not so much tons of water crossings but just ample water for drinking. Also I prefer to avoid areas that do not allow fires.

Thanks for all the input so far!
    This stretch of the AT pretty much has everything you are looking for... great views (6 to 8 spots immediately jump to mind), geological features at Charlie's bunion and some of the sections of trail along the ridge line, and water at every shelter as well as some other places... it just so happens that this section of trail in GSMNP doubles as the AT.

One other note... come November, all the leaf peepers are gone from GSMNP. Early November is a great time to hike the Smokies. However, you would need to prepare for temperatures falling near or possibly below freezing in GSMNP high country this time of year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++