WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hostel/Shuttle questions

Hi to my tramily out there. I own a beautiful older home with three baths that I am thinking of turning into a hostel. It could have three private rooms with shared bath and two larger bunk rooms for a total 10 bunks. The house would have a large kitchen, dining room, book/computer room and tv room. Has a nice backyard for tenting and fire pit. It is located within a 1/4mi from a Laundromat, pizza shop, three restaurants, bars, churches, health center, grocery store, post office, and clothing Store.
    My question to all you hikers out there......it would be located in Jackman ME which is a 35 minute ride from Caratunk (Kennebec river crossing). Would you go that far out of the way for all these amenities? Thanks

Only if your willing to shuttle hikers back and forth all day. Getting a group of 10 hikers together all at the same time is like herding cats. And then they all want to go to different places. But if you only service Caratunk, it might not be too bad.

With over an hour commute round trip, your not going to want to make the trip more then twice a day. Once in the morning to drop hikers off and once in the evening to pick them up. If you want to fill up your place, you'll have to have van capable of hauling 10 hikers and packs. Might need a bus

Of course, as soon as you get back to your place, someone who missed the bus will call wanting you to go back and get them. Then you when you say you can't, they will get all upset and call you names on the internet.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Speaking for myself, no. Too far off the trail.

Journal Entries

Nope, not even with a free ride and free stay.
    Unless a location with no alternative its just too far imo.

There are resupply stops on trails that are an hour ride from trails 30-40 miles .....but they are the ONLY option at that location
    Ive even paid $100+ round trip for rides to get to them/back to trail (instead of hitching) .. but again, only option at that point on trail.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-22-2017 at 11:23.

Images

I'm not so sure you would get all that many hikers... Caratunk House (with resupply options) is 150 yds from the trail and the Sterling Inn is 1.3 miles from the trail. It would all depend on shuttle service, pricing, and availability at existing services.

Definitely not going to find a lot of folks interested.

FYI, you are opening yourself up to lot of liability when you run a hostel and shuttle, if you decide to duck insurance you could lose it if someone gets hurt. If you go legit I expect the insurance is going to eat up any profits.

no...............

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I'm not so sure you would get all that many hikers... Caratunk House (with resupply options) is 150 yds from the trail and the Sterling Inn is 1.3 miles from the trail. It would all depend on shuttle service, pricing, and availability at existing services.

I think that is huge.

Thank you for the input. We were thinking the same way but didn’t know for sure how important new shoes socks filters regular price groceries pizza laundry was to everyone. I found prices in Caratunk very expensive with very little amenities. Thanks again

Journal Entries

Honestly no, using my 2013 thru hiking experience as a guide. I'm sorry but you are too far to consider, even with a free on demand on call shuttle. The distance from the trail would nag at me.

Now with that said the trail has changed since then and many more hikers looking for comfy beds, which could give you a place, however if that were the case then someone else closer could open up and you would be off the radar.

I am less travel time to-from the trail and have hosted thru hikers, however I am too far if I want to commit to such a thing.

++ New Posts ++