WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: SOBO advice

Default SOBO advice

I'm sure it been asked before but in the opinion of those that have SOBO on the AT what would you say is the safest and earliest date to start from Harper's ferry.? I have no set time to complete my hike south. I've even considered trying to find some kind of work in GA till I could start back North. I have all my equipment been buying for a couple of years and am starting to set money aside. I'm not in the best of health but know my limits, so I would have to take a couple 0 days on the trail it would not hurt my feelings.

I take it that"earliest and safest" means...How early can I depart and not get buried in a snowstorm in the Smokey's? For the average hiker it will take 10 to 12 weeks to cover the 900 plus miles from Harpers Ferry to Springer Mt. The SMNP is 2 weeks North of Springer. For the best odds you want to hit SMNP after May 15. 8 to 10 weeks before that makes a Harpers Ferry departure of between March 1st and 15th. Of course March is a strange month weather wise in Virginia and you will need luck to not meet with some snow.

I would not leave until at least the middle of April to avoid the worst of the spring monsoon season and late winter cold snaps. But even that can be too early. Last spring the weather didn't really improve until June. Who knows what it will do this year. I assume your planning on doing this hike this spring.

I also plan to go SOBO from HF around April 20th. I haven't figured out the exact date yet. I visit my Dad for his birthday on the 16th in Florida, so it depends on how long I hang out there before heading back north. The last time I did this hike I only got to Daleville before it got too hot for me, but I left on May 1st that year. This year I hope to make it to the bus station at Marion, VA which would be most of VA.

Word of warning: The trail is pretty rough the first week south of HF. It mellows out a bit for the SNP, then gets real tough again until Daleville where it mellows out again for a bit until you get to south west VA where you have to cut across the grain of the ridges until you get near NC.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

good luck to u

++ New Posts ++