WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post Gear Shakedown Please! Here is my gear list`

HELLO:
    THE following link will show you my gear list for the Colorado Trail 2018. I hope you can comment on it and give me suggestions. The base weight is 11lbs. but I would love to go below 10lbs. Any suggestions? Thank you
    Julio
    Here is the link: https://lighterpack.com/r/1r64sy

I think your a little light on clothes, even if it's a mid summer hike. Not sure what your hiking attire will be, but you need a long sleeve shirt, wide brim hat, sunglasses and sun block. You get lots of uV up there.

Is that a canister stove burner? If so, add in the weight of the canister. Alcohol and wood stoves are frowned on along the CT and maybe banned all together.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you want to drop weight, only thing I can see is to use a tarp and go stoveless.

Nice gear... looks good.

One way you could cut weight is getting rid of the journal and just using a notes app on the phone, but it might be worth the 6 oz if you write a lot.

Some skip the pillow, especially if you are bringing a down jacket that might not get used much sleeping. I never skip this though.... messes with my sleep.

Poncho is a bit heavy. If weather is generally going to be fair, there are lighter rain options

A couple things I'd probably add, but aren't strictly necessary: I love 2 pairs of hiking socks so I can swap out if a pair gets wet or is really sweaty. Ounce for ounce, well worth it for me, but a lot don't go that route. Same with an extra 3 oz hiking tshirt.

When are you going? No need for camp pants?

Nice list! Looks really good. A couple of thoughts:

Your pack at 28 oz seems really heavy for an 11 pound base weight. Are you planning to carry +15 pounds of food at most times?
    Poncho at 12 ounces is heavy. Get a full rain suit at Montbell for the same weight with much more protection.
    As a previous poster mentioned, your 6 oz notebook is too heavy. You can get a nice moleskine notebook for 1 oz.

Some minor points:
    You don't need a compression stuffsack for an 18 oz quite. Save an ounce with a Zpacks rolltop bag
    Your Zpacks foodbag weights more than your pot! I am not sure of the need for a "liner." Isn't all your food in ziplocs anyway? Save 3 ounces.

It never hurts to carry more warm clothing in replace of heavier non-essentials like a notebook. I also don't see what clothing you are wearing.
    No second pair of trail socks?
    Is the buff warm enough to work as a proper over the ears hat?

Sun protection? The Colorado trail gets lots of sun. Sunglasses? Hat with brim? sunscreen?
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

There is a good chance you'd be carrying 5 to 7 days worth of food leaving town and there are sections where you need to carry a lot of water, so having a pack which can handle that extra load is worthwhile.

I'm not a big fan of ponchos, but if this is a summer time Monsoon/thunderstorm hike it might be worth having one to hunker down under if caught out in the open during a storm. Since he has a Zpacks pack and tent, I'd go with their poncho too. I'd still want some kind of jacket shell. A light wind breaker shell can add a fair about of warmth.

Hearing aid batteries? Better wear the hearing aid while hiking. Those mountain bikers can sneak up behind you with little or no warning and are hard to hear coming.

I meet a guy on the CT who was wearing removable sleeves which apparently bikers (the pedal kind) use. It looked like a good option instead of adding a long sleeve shirt.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Do you know oc a lighter alternative to the poncho? I use a poncho because is wide enough to work as a pack cover over my backpack. Any lighter option? thanx

I have a hunch you’ll find more people trying to tell you to go heavier than lighter, but I think it’s a good list.

Maybe skip camp pants and just wear your hiking clothes until bed and change into clean undies?

As mentioned, I’d lose the notebook and use my phone unless writing is that important to you.

But you’re also light enough that I don’t think that half pound or two will really matter, being what will make your trip more enjoyable to you, you’ve already minimized the inessentials

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Besalu View Post
    Do you know oc a lighter alternative to the poncho? I use a poncho because is wide enough to work as a pack cover over my backpack. Any lighter option? thanx
    When are you going?

Your shelter is overkill.
    Your sleep system needs help. Which quilt exactly? How much time do you have sleeping above 10,000’? At 30 degrees? At 20 degrees? When do you plan to hike? Which direction? We need more input.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions!

There are a few places where you will need more than 2L water carrying capacity. I personally like to have the capability of carrying 4 quarts.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Looks like a great set up. You are taking just about the only things you need. You could lose a few things but it seems like those are comfort items that you are worth the weight to you.

I would consider not taking the compression sack if you don't need it. I just shove my quilt in the bottom of my pack and put everything else on top. I can easily fit everything in without the compression.

I think you have a great layering system and the clothes you are bringing is plenty. I personally don't bring any sleeping clothes so you could save some weight there, but I understand that a lot of people can't go without. I also wear convertible pants so I don't have to bring separate shorts.

Like many have said, that poncho seems pretty heavy. If you are willing to spend a little money ZPacks sells a great poncho that is only 5.10oz.

I would forgo the pillow and just use my down jacket/clothes as a pillow. I would also lose the flipflops, there are lighter options for camp shoes... I just go barefoot when I can.

Do you need to bring two towels? I would just bring the light load towel.

You could probably pare your first aid kit down a little. I have gotten mine down to 1.7oz. I Also bring this knife... its only 15g.

Again, this is all about what you are willing to sacrifice for weight but I really like the GLAREE E03 Flashlight. It weighs about 28g with batteries and is 150 lumins.

All together that would save you 27.07oz. or 1.69lbs

Good list: reasonable luxuries, HYOH. That being said there are the non-essentials in my view:
    Sleeping Pillow 2.6 oz
    Compression Sack 2.25 oz
    Ultralight mug 1 oz
    Camp Shorts 3.37 oz
    Flip Flops 4.87 oz
    Camp Towel on the list so Lightload towel unnecessary 0.37 oz
    Nikon Camera Extra Battery 0.5 oz
    Ditty Bag (consolidate with other bags) 1.12 oz
    Tripod 1.75 oz
    Phone Clip (“To take pictures with my iPhone” use the Nikon or iPhone for photography) 1 oz
    Journal w/Pen 4.37 oz

1 lb. 7.2 oz. savings.

Wow, that was a very thoughtful shakedown. THank you!

You still have no idea if your sleep SYSTEM is adequate for your time and direction on the trail. You may be fine or you may be miserable.
    As for some of the Standard Internet Advice about stuffing quilts, going barefoot, clothes in a stuff sack pillow, etc. : You better try all of that in the real world before you hit the trail. I tried. It’s all BUNK for me. Your mileage may vary.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

IMVHO the OP should take note that a couple of experienced people who have done the trail have asked "WHEN are you going?"

This is essential information when planning your kit.

++ New Posts ++