WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

From the comments section of the article linked in Post # 89. The hiker reported to be involved, Craig William Johnston, comments about the incident: (copied, pasted, edited [weeded out other user comments] from article)...

Craig William Johnston · Photographer at Craig William Johnston
    Also im on my third thru hike of the Appalachian trail and im. Triple crown hiker. No one wants to mention that im a hiker , just talk about my ethnicity. No aants to think a thru- hiker could be treated like this just a "Jew"

Like · Reply · 5
    Oh and the Mayor of Damascus asked me to remove the video and label it a drug deal gone "sour" i wasnt buying any drugs. I had no money and no one had drugs.

Matt Faris · Virginia Tech
    So can you let us know how you enncountered them? And how did you already know them? It would clear up a lot of the mis-information.Thanks, and happy hiking.

Matt i was just comin by to get food and hang they were closed , henry let me in we were hanging out. I asked joe if he could find pot he said he knew someone i told him i wouldnt buy pot sight unseen and he and henry started bugged and being weird meth heads

Craig William Johnston you said you had no money and you werent buying drugs per your post above, right?

Matt Faris i was friendly with them, stopped by to eat they were closed. They let me in. I asked joe if he knew where i could get pot. He said he'd call someone. I said call him and ask him to come down. He said thats not how it works. I said well " i cant buy pot sight unseen." And joe started telling me to get the **** out so i got up and headed out the door. Joe wanted to fight. I told him to grow up and then heanry said " joe i think he has some jew in him.. the rest is on video. Last im gonna say on this. My official statement will be made soon through an Attorney.

Craig William Johnston you said you had no money and you werent buying drugs per your post above, right?

Ladies and gentleman we should all move on.

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    From the comments section of the article linked in Post # 89. The hiker reported to be involved, Craig William Johnston, comments about the incident: (copied, pasted, edited [weeded out other user comments] from article)...

Also im on my third thru hike of the Appalachian trail and im. Triple crown hiker. No one wants to mention that im a hiker , just talk about my ethnicity. No aants to think a thru- hiker could be treated like this just a "Jew"

Like · Reply · 5
    Oh and the Mayor of Damascus asked me to remove the video and label it a drug deal gone "sour" i wasnt buying any drugs. I had no money and no one had drugs.

So can you let us know how you enncountered them? And how did you already know them? It would clear up a lot of the mis-information.Thanks, and happy hiking.

Matt i was just comin by to get food and hang they were closed , henry let me in we were hanging out. I asked joe if he could find pot he said he knew someone i told him i wouldnt buy pot sight unseen and he and henry started bugged and being weird meth heads

Matt Faris i was friendly with them, stopped by to eat they were closed. They let me in. I asked joe if he knew where i could get pot. He said he'd call someone. I said call him and ask him to come down. He said thats not how it works. I said well " i cant buy pot sight unseen." And joe started telling me to get the **** out so i got up and headed out the door. Joe wanted to fight. I told him to grow up and then heanry said " joe i think he has some jew in him.. the rest is on video. Last im gonna say on this. My official statement will be made soon through an Attorney.

I had several comments back and forth with Craig on FB and the above seems correct.

I think the mayor used a poor choice of words when he said the deal soured or the mayor should have been a little more specific when describing what took place.

Obviously Craig did nothing to deserve the treatment he got. These guys were just ready to explode at any perceived slight and Craig just happened to be their to receive anti-Semitic rant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlight View Post
    I benignly disagree. Damascus just happens to be the place where this happened this time. It happens all over the place. It has probably happened within 50 miles of you in the last month. But it wasn't recorded. And it wasn't in a town with an annual festival built around an activity you love. It happens wherever people's filters are down, like when they're drunk or stoned or tweaking or feel that those within earshot share their demented ideas.

Let's think about this a bit further. What makes Damascus the town that it is, and what makes Trail Days what it is? There is obviously a lot of interplay between the two. Damascus locals have to live there year round, and "put up with" an annual gathering that dumps hot smelly hiker-trash (myself included) in their lap every spring. That's who is opining on this topic. As much (or as little) of a connection we may have with Trail Days, and by extension Damascus, it is the backdrop to their day-to-day lives. Everywhere you go now, from the cities to smaller towns, there is a drug problem. Everywhere you go, there are, one might say people "not of good will."

For myself, I'll admit that there are certain portions of the populace with whom I have a greater affinity than I do for others. But I don't wish any other group outside of that affinity any ill will. I may not agree with their politics or their life choices. But the one thing I will celebrate in common with them is my love for the outdoors. My love for throwing a pack on my back and scooting out for the tree shadows. It is where I feel most like myself. And if you feel the same way, I'll bump your fist. I'll buy you a beer if you'll drink it. And I'll tell anyone who comes to mess with you that they're also gonna have to mess with me. That is the message we should spread next May in Damascus at Trail Days.
    Well written and said thank you. I live here in Damascus.

I love this town. I hiked in here broke and sick and for the most part have stayed that way but I have no complaints.

This town, this community saved me from a life of wandering. This community stood with me when I got slandered but not so much the AT community. No they spread it like wildfire up and down the trail and even added a little spice to it for effect. I still have to deal with it from a hiker once in awhile. Thank God I was able to put that behind me.

I been in the hostel business five years now. 95% of the time I get some of the nicest people on earth that stay. But about 5% are rogues so to speak.

The rogues have a loud voice when they screw up because something in their thinking makes them want to act out sometimes. And when that happens here at the hostel I get dragged thru the mud somehow. I got drugged through the mud with this because I was forced into an opinion after witnessing the story and events after the video was posted to my group first. Meaning Mr Johnson chose to post it on my group before he even posted it to his own timeline.

So I have an opinion and I stand with my mayor, my police, and my town on this. If the truth would have swayed towards Mr Johnson I would have agreed that Jack McCrady was victim blaming.

This town and our mayor were forced into this because the cowardly Mr Johnson would not press charges. Our police and mayor did the right thing here and threw their hateful butts in jail. While Mr Johnson glorified in the fame he had been seeking ever since I knew him our mayor threw them in jail and then made a statement. True and to the point.

If you who think otherwise and don't care for my opinion please do not fret yourself about staying here on your next hike thru here. This trail community is beginning to sicken me anyway. I hate saying this but this whole thing has given me the thought of directing my hostel away from the AT community and moving in a different direction.

You can say I am victim blaming too by standing with the mayor. I know that it reads like he is. But the truth is Mr Johnson is gulty as well. And not for just trying to score a little weed like he told me right here on my porch. But some of you already have your minds made up.

There are two sides to this but you war mongers who will jump at half truths with a bunch of lies tacked to it disgust me.

However I can see there are quite a few who may see things my way and that is all the support I need.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    The without bond bit indicates outstanding issues.
    Probation being the most likely, since warrants on locals would've been acted on.
    Held without bond for their own safety I believe. But if Mr Johnson refuses to pick up the charges or come back when he is summoned they may have to turn them lose unless the feds step in.

mr. johnson is "guilty" of what?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    mr. johnson is "guilty" of what?
    As far as guilt by the law standards nothing. But by his actions he is guilty.

Now I sit back and get ready to be attacked.

of what?......

Journal Entries
    Images

You got stand for something or you will fall for anything

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    of what?......
    I have no more to say. I said my piece

"town and our mayor were forced into this because the cowardly Mr Johnson would not press charges". were the 2 hikers that were beat up some years ago by a local also cowards? folks here were gonna pay air fare and lodging for them to testify. they would not

After reading Johnston’s tweets (or whatever damn social media kids are using these days) I’ve come to the conclusion his actions after the fact were nefariousness and he’s guilty of being and first class jackass, but that’s about it.

He was lookin’ for weed/he wasn’t lookin’ for weed...whut da!

Journal Entries
    Images

Just to make things clearer so you understand my statement on his guilt. As far as I am concerned Mr Johnson is guilty of going in there and inciting those guys. And those guys are as guilty as sin for their actions as well.

Lone Wolf I think Mr Johnson should have pressed charges in the first place, especially if he is innocent as he claims. I would have. But he did not and told me he would not come back to testify. He left it up to this town to do the right thing. That is pretty cowardly.

I like Mr Johnson very much but I do not like any of this at all. It sucks for all who are in involved especially for those of us who have a differing opinion. And I do not care what his nationality or his ethnicity is or religion is he is a human being like me. Any interaction I have had with Craig has been okay.

I wish he would quit changing his story come back and do the right thing, he can stay here while he is in town and I will do my best to keep some of the townspeople from getting upset with him cussing and calling them names on social media because they disagreed with him. He called a friend of mine a brainless moron.

The hiker could've done things far worse than trying to buy weed and it wouldn't change anything... as far as I can tell this thread is about the racist reaction by two owners of a known restaurant along the AT, not about victimizing a guy none of us know.

What would someone need to do to you for you to go on an antisemitic rant, tell them you hope they burn in an oven like their ancestors, and threaten to come find them later?

That's not normal crap-talking, that's deep seeded and threatening racism displayed in a time when thousands of others who openly share those same views are arming and militarizing themselves.

This thread served a purpose as it exposed these guys. Should they open a new restaurant in the future, I certainly won't be giving them my money. I could care less about town drama or the guy who recorded it, unless perhaps it came out that he was using equally racist language... which could at least give a context to why the guys felt the need to react in that kind of manner.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Zea View Post
    The hiker could've done things far worse than trying to buy weed and it wouldn't change anything... as far as I can tell this thread is about the racist reaction by two owners of a known restaurant along the AT, not about victimizing a guy none of us know.

What would someone need to do to you for you to go on an antisemitic rant, tell them you hope they burn in an oven like their ancestors, and threaten to come find them later?

That's not normal crap-talking, that's deep seeded and threatening racism displayed in a time when thousands of others who openly share those same views are arming and militarizing themselves.

This thread served a purpose as it exposed these guys. Should they open a new restaurant in the future, I certainly won't be giving them my money. I could care less about town drama or the guy who recorded it, unless perhaps it came out that he was using equally racist language... which could at least give a context to why the guys felt the need to react in that kind of manner.
    Well said

The only thing I'm still confused by is how did these two guys know Johnson was Jewish?

This dead dog has been kicked, whipped, and beaten just about every way possible. I'm thinkin time to move on and end this chapter.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    The only thing I'm still confused by is how did these two guys know Johnson was Jewish?
    It is possible that he is not.

No?

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    And here I was thinking I was the only one wondering this...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++