WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Chest Pains Stopped Me

Thursday, October 12, I was on top of the world... well, I was on the Appalachian Trail climbing up and over some serious rocks climbs at Lehigh Gap, PA. I had been struggling with some chest discomfort and fatigue; however, I wasn’t having any problems as long as the terrain was fairly flat but... duh! You is in da mountains boy! After pushing Southbound for five days and 70 miles into my planned 200 mile hike I decided it was time to abort this journey and get checked out.
    Fast forward two weeks... this coming Thursday, October 26 I will undergo heart bypass (3 or4) surgery. I am blessed to have discovered this before any more serious issues occurred. No heart attack or any signs of heart damage... just need some new plumbing.
    I know I have some recovery time coming but I'm still planning smaller sections hike and look forward to hitting the trail again. One thing cool is that I had two mail drops at the Doyle that I couldn't get so I had been running into this SOBO (Astro) for a couple days and offered it to him.... I called the Doyle and they were cool and he picked them up a couple of days later.... real trail magic!

Glad you're okay!

Wishing you successful surgery. Recommend Joel Furhman book "End of Heart Disease" to manage after the surgery. Nameste ♥ Ironn

Journal Entries

Lucky you got it.

Recovery really isnt so bad if you didnt have an actual heart attack, or so it seems from the few aquaintances I seen have it.

good luck, Im sure you be back out there in a couple months.

Glad that worked out for ya, sucks reading about dead body’s on the trail.

Sorry to hear but I'm glad you caught it in time.

Grunt, could you us a bit more info? I'd love to know if you've had a physical in the recent past, if you had experienced the same symptoms ever before and maybe some basics like if you're a very active guy etc. Just trying to get a feel for how much faith to put into what doctors tell us and how much one can tell if they are at risk.
    Best wishes in your surgery, I had a friend who had a quintriple bypass and he was back at work in no time so, hopefully you'll be back on the trail quickly.

I had a couple of stents placed 4 years ago. Had some "unstable angina" and didn't feel right, pulled in to the ER while driving through Georgia. Without intervention would have probably had a major heart attack within 24-36 hours (95% blockage.) I lost the LDL Lottery, genetics-wise and since have made changes in diet & exercise as well as taking medication. Before that event I hadn't seen a doctor in years. Now I see my GP every 6 months and my cardiologist every 6 months (staggered by 3 months, so I'm seeing someone every 3 months.)

Nothing improves outcomes better than catching if early. Know your body, understand how your heart rate elevates under various conditions and what your normal recovery time is. When things don't feel right, check in with yourself and err on the side of caution. If you know your body and have a good relationship with your providers they're never going to shun you if you jump the gun on a false alarm.

Pleased that the discussion is diagnosis and recovery and not a report of a fallen hiker.

Good luck on your surgery! Youll be back out there in no time
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I hope all works out well for you! We are pullin' for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossup View Post
    Grunt, could you us a bit more info? I'd love to know if you've had a physical in the recent past, if you had experienced the same symptoms ever before and maybe some basics like if you're a very active guy etc. Just trying to get a feel for how much faith to put into what doctors tell us and how much one can tell if they are at risk.
    Best wishes in your surgery, I had a friend who had a quintriple bypass and he was back at work in no time so, hopefully you'll be back on the trail quickly.

I have had a physical every year and have never experienced anything like this. I average 6 to 8 hours a week in the gym lifting weights and cardio training. For 65 I look good on the outside. I kayak and play football with my grandchildren... avid gardener and active kind of guy. Haven't smoked in 40 years but there is some family genetics and my lifestyle hasn't always been great. What we did and consumed in our 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 will one day manifest itself somehow... mind was in CHD... that can be corrected. I was on NO medication prior to this.
    I'm blown away by the level of absolute (in my mind) of medical care given me and all the diagnostics that went into this. The medical science today is incredible and I have full confidence in those whom I've consulted. Hope this helps you brother.... happy trails.
    PS.... I am originally from Calvert County, MD

Thank you for this post! I have heart and several more issues that I argue with my doctors over when it comes to hiking. I might just let up on some of the arguments.

Grunt, I can't express my gratitude for you taking the time to respond so close to your surgery. I'm SO glad I asked because I like many here, its easy to think we are healthy and safe from such surprises but I believe your experiene proves otherwise. I passed up the chance a few years ago to have one of those ultrasound exams which claim to quantify blood flow and therefore detect arterial blockage.
    Like you, I've never been on meds, my last physical showed everything tested to be within normal parameters and I was told I needed no change in my diet or activity level. I now have serious concern for just how meaningful routine physical and health checkups are in terms of not being blindsided by undetected conditions.
    Please keep us informed post operation, how things go and again, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

++ New Posts ++