Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If you're coming across the pond, get your Visa all taken care of as early as you can.

A few notes about us colonials: If you drink beer from a major American brewery, you'll think you are drinking water. It isn't like a real brew at all. Micro brews are what you'll need to drink to have something that even remotely resembles a real beer. Secondly, the beer is served a few degrees above freezing, so you won't need ice chips. Third, it isn't a real pint, it's only 16 ounces.

Other things: to us, a jumper is a woman's dress, we wear "sweaters," shopping trolleys are called shopping carts, if you smoke, don't ask for a fag...speaking of smoking, Americans don't have the habit of offering a cigarette to others when they open a pack. They aren't being rude, just not the custom. We pronounce a lot of the Queen's words incorrectly, and as evident by my writing, we take major liberties with the written word as well.

As a whole, though, we're a fun lot. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed guy View Post
    A few notes about us colonials: If you drink beer from a major American brewery, you'll think you are drinking water. It isn't like a real brew at all. Micro brews are what you'll need to drink to have something that even remotely resembles a real beer. Secondly, the beer is served a few degrees above freezing, so you won't need ice chips. Third, it isn't a real pint, it's only 16 ounces.
    Pay no attention to the nattering nabobs of negativity! :-) American beer is not European beer because the American climate is not the European climate. It's hot and humid in the states. After working hard, or hiking hard, in the heat and sweat the last thing you want is some heavy dank piss warm ale. That light cold American pilsner will be delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    Pay no attention to the nattering nabobs of negativity! :-) American beer is not European beer because the American climate is not the European climate. It's hot and humid in the states. After working hard, or hiking hard, in the heat and sweat the last thing you want is some heavy dank piss warm ale. That light cold American pilsner will be delicious.
    Having lived in Europed for over five years, and sampled the wonderful delights of European beers, the thought of rice being used in a beer recipe is enough to make me shudder. Pilsners, ales, alts, bock (can't put the umlaut in there), bitters...the very wealth of GOOD brews on the other side of the pond is heavenly. The "drinkable" American beers are watered down concoctions that some one waved malted barley over and pretended it was suitable for drinking.... (I don't drink bourbon or sour mash, either. Whiskey or whisky should not be made with corn!)

one-eyed guy, why do you hate America? :-) As for bourbon, corn was made for drinking, not eating.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    one-eyed guy, why do you hate America? :-) As for bourbon, corn was made for drinking, not eating.
    I know you used a smiley, but I got the impression one eye was a very proud American, though his opinions on beer are backwards.... I've traveled all over the world, couple dozen countries including many in Europe, and the very best beers are brewed at micro breweries all over the USA, especially in the West. And Belgium. I tried never found a decent local beer in England, though plenty in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I know you used a smiley, but I got the impression one eye was a very proud American, though his opinions on beer are backwards.... I've traveled all over the world, couple dozen countries including many in Europe, and the very best beers are brewed at micro breweries all over the USA, especially in the West. And Belgium. I tried never found a decent local beer in England, though plenty in Scotland.
    In England, drink Guinness.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed guy View Post
    In England, drink Guinness.
    I did in England, but it's not local. I try to only drink local beers traveling, just couldn't do it in England, sorry!

I don't think the locals do, in England.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++