WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

After Irma, I was without power... but it didn't stop me from having my french press coffee. Unfortunately I couldn't use my grinder, so I had to use ground coffee, but you know, natural disasters allow for such things.

...but as others have said, there are car camping types of stoves that use the more readily available coleman propane canisters that are more stable for full sized pots and pans. I'd go that route for a non-hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    After Irma, I was without power... but it didn't stop me from having my french press coffee. Unfortunately I couldn't use my grinder ...
    Why couldn't you use your grinder?

Rosewood-Manual-Coffee-Grinder.jpg

I'll vote for the coleman stove and lantern, and the water filter. a few cans of sterno as back up. And a 5 gal bucket with a round toilet seat.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I'll vote for the coleman stove and lantern, and the water filter. a few cans of sterno as back up. And a 5 gal bucket with a round toilet seat.
    I actually have a chem pot system if it ever came to that. I got it for car camping with friends. I even got a little Ozark Trail utility/Shower tent to put it in for privacy.

A simple tabletop stove like this would be easy for her to use inside--on the stove would be my recommendation. We used one of these for years while car-camping. Available at your local big-box store.

More and more people need to think this way! You can't see around and depend on the government, state or federal, to come to your rescue. Winter time I get all my camping gear ready! Here in S.W.Pa we loose power a lot, sometimes for a few hours and sometimes a couple of days. I even make up several Campfire in a can for the house and always keep one in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    So, it worked?
    Perfectly!

We lost power for a day or so during Matthew, but that's been it so far. Maybe an hour or so here and there during a bad thunderstorm or when someone decides to attack a pole with their vehicle. Other than that it runs for 20 minutes every Monday morning at 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I live on the Gulf Coast, and my Mom came to me asking what kind of stove I use to prep my hiking meals. She has an electric stove and if she loses power she can't cook. Now I use some home made Fancy Feast stoves, but I was wondering, what stove would you suggest to use in such a case inside a home?
    I'd get either the one burner that Maptester suggested or the two burner that Alligator suggested ( but not sure I'd get a coleman for emergency use only--would probably get an Ozark trail cheapie from walmart).
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

For inside the house in an emergency, these are hard to beat for the price and ease of use.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ya4kRcq2biqqnK

Fuel is cheap and available at just about any Walmart. Only caveat is they are butane and don't work well below 45-50F in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoon View Post
    For inside the house in an emergency, these are hard to beat for the price and ease of use.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ya4kRcq2biqqnK

Fuel is cheap and available at just about any Walmart. Only caveat is they are butane and don't work well below 45-50F in my experience.

Solar cooker!

Images

Buy her this alcohol heater/stove combo. I have 2, they work great. Better hurry, they don't last long on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Origo-H...%257Ciid%253A1

Unused 1qt paint can, roll of toilet paper and denatured alcohol! Super cheap, use for heat or cook. Make up several seal them up they're ready when needed. I used one the following winter, approximately 7 months after I made it.

But when it happens !!!
    Don't eat the zombies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Nothing INSIDE a home if it involves ANY type of flame.

Pocket rocket for OUTSIDE. Propane BBQ OUTSIDE. Charcoal BBQ OUTSIDE.
    That makes zero sense. Ever have a gas stove or a propane stove in your kitchen? Geesh.

These are decent little stoves. https://www.target.com/p/coleman-174...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I believe there are various makers as well.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    That makes zero sense. Ever have a gas stove or a propane stove in your kitchen? Geesh.

These are decent little stoves. https://www.target.com/p/coleman-174...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I believe there are various makers as well.
    ^this.

I would not use a cat-can liquid fuel stove inside my house. Too easy to have a flaming spill and cause no end of grief. The butane stoves are perfectly safe to use indoors. Much less chance to burn your house down, or worse, yourself.

Many good stove ideals have been suggested.

I suggest a bare minimum of one weeks worth of shelf stable food. Preferably 30 days. As much water as you can store plus a way to purify water.

Also have no cook options available. If it gets bad enough and people are hungry and thirsty.....and they know you have food they are going to want some.

You have to decide if you can share safely or if you need to keep the fact that you have food quiet.

It was a while back but when Sandy hit if I recall correctly poeple were dumpster diving within 3 days.

If I had to I would too. Some people might decide they need what you have more than you do and take it by force if necessary. No cook options allow you to conceal your eating easier if necessary.

Im not saying dont share and dont help if you can and its safe. Just that you need to be aware.

One last thought if theres no power everything that needs refrigeration will spoil.

Shelf stable no cook meals imho should be part of the plan.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post

One last thought if theres no power everything that needs refrigeration will spoil.

Shelf stable no cook meals imho should be part of the plan.
    A nice treat in a can...B&M Brown Bread with Raisins :-)

brown bread.JPG

Our neighbors' kid was playing with matches and lit the family Bible on fire and nearly burned down the house!

The gas and electric utilities were off for 10 days until repairs were made. We loaned them our Coleman 2-burner propane camp stove with 2 propane cylinders. The grandmother of the family, who did a lot of the cooking, was skeptical when I demonstrated how to set up the stove. When I turned on the gas and lit it with a spark igniter, she broke out in a big smile and proceeded to cook dinner for the family on the Coleman.

The abilities of the people who may be using the stove in an emergency situation should be considered. The Coleman is much simpler for people to use if they have limited, or no, camping experience. It is also very stable compared to some of the canister stoves that are in common use in the backpacking community.

It is also very fuel efficient. After 10 days, the stove was returned and less than one propane cylinder had been used.

No, I don't work for Coleman! It is just a good, reliable product.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    I live on the Gulf Coast, and my Mom came to me asking what kind of stove I use to prep my hiking meals. She has an electric stove and if she loses power she can't cook. Now I use some home made Fancy Feast stoves, but I was wondering, what stove would you suggest to use in such a case inside a home?
    There is some serious weather headed your way.....what stove did you eventually decide upon? It's been a few years since your post, maybe you have a few stashed away

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++