WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I lived in a NC ridgetop Tipi for 21 years w/o electricity and relied on these things for cooking, heat and light.

First, a good wood stove which cooked food like brown rice on top.

Second, an old style Coleman white gas two burner stove like this---it complimented my white gas backpacking stoves (Svea 123; MSR Whisperlite/Simmerlites).
    s-l640.jpg

Third, for light nothing beats an Aladdin kerosene lamp--equivalent to a 60 watt lightbulb---
    10374.jpg
    I vented this baby with a small 5 inch pipe running out the tipi next to my woodstove pipe.

After moving from the Tipi and living in a tent w/o a woodstove I used this for heat connected with a long tube to a 25 lb propane tank---
    index.jpg

And in the tent I used this cut down propane stove---
    71urdCM7LAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Here's my Cabelas tent in TN using the Mr Buddy heater hooked up with the tank---

Chickasaw Creek Camp-XL.jpg

Images

Titpi Walter has made great choices and his experience has proven them worthy. Thank you Tipi Walter

Growing up in Miami in the 50s and 60s we had collapsible stereo stoves.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Growing up in Miami in the 50s and 60s we had collapsible stereo stoves.
    What are you using today? Is Georgia going to get hit by the hurricane?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    What are you using today? Is Georgia going to get hit by the hurricane?
    My kitchen stove is natural gas, which I can light with a match when the power is out. I also have an old dual fuel Coleman stove, and a Coleman propane stove.
    The current Ian path will miss Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    I also have an old dual fuel Coleman stove, and a Coleman propane stove.
    The current Ian path will miss Georgia.
    With those 2 stoves you're all set to go :-)

The standard warning should apply to the recomendation's, few if any liquid or gaseous fuel space heaters should be used indoors. Folks die or are made seriously ill every few years up north due to carbon monoxide poisoning from running temporary equipment inside of buildings. Two winter hikers died not that far away from my house at Barnes Field in the whites one winter when they were running a space heater in a tent that was sealed up from snowfall outdoors. CO poisoning is additive, once CO binds with a blood cell it no longer can carry blood around the body. Lock up enough blood cells and bad things happen. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...20even%20death.

Definitely find a well ventilated spot outdoors away from the house.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoon View Post
    ^this.

I would not use a cat-can liquid fuel stove inside my house. Too easy to have a flaming spill and cause no end of grief. The butane stoves are perfectly safe to use indoors. Much less chance to burn your house down, or worse, yourself.
    Both. I really don't want to get rid of my NG stove either. Liquid fuel has potential safety issues. Most backpacking stoves are too easy to knock over. For the non camper, I would stick to burners designed to be used as an extra or table top burner. Everyone should have a battery powered CO monitor.

Outdoor propane grills can produce CO when closed and the air restricted.

Water is the real issue. I grew up in Houston and we always filled the bathtubs with water primarily for toilet water. More if you don't have a backyard.

Since your mother asked about your ideas, I’ll assume she has no experience. Hence the suggestions for wood, alcohol, kerosene or white gas is very, very, very, very bad advice. Keep it low maintenance and simple, the single burner 1lb propane stoves look like a good idea.
    As important, short cook time carbohydrates, non refrigerated proteins and canned veggies/fruits.
    Advice is late I know, moved to Punta Gorda FL from Denver. Been thinking about this for a few days, lol

I would recommend a tabletop butane canister stove, such as the Iwatani 35FW. These types of stoves are in common use in homes all over the world, particularly in Asian countries, where there is a long tradition of hotpot cooking at the dinner table. They are perfectly safe, and are designed for indoors residential use. I would definitely not use any kind of camp stove, as they are not designed for indoor use.

product-2-lg-b_0.png

I have, of course, used my MSR RapidFire backpacking canister stove indoors when necessary, but I take proper precautions. I would never recommend that to anyone else, but I put an aluminium baking tray underneath it and place all of that on a thick stone countertop surface with nothing above it, when I use it, because the heat reflected back from the bottom of the pot could start a fire, otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    A standard 2-burner Coleman propane stove is what I have in my earthquake emergency supply (the big concern in California). This isn't any more dangerous to use in the kitchen than the (natural) gas cooktop I use every day. The Coleman camping stove is much more stable than a backpacking stove.
    Duplicate post.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 08-07-2023 at 12:39.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

If it's for an older non-hiker, a two burner Coleman stove is great for emergency use at home (use it on the patio, not inside). Don't expect a non-hiker to cozy up to a canister stove.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++