WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hurricane Prepping.

I live on the Gulf Coast, and my Mom came to me asking what kind of stove I use to prep my hiking meals. She has an electric stove and if she loses power she can't cook. Now I use some home made Fancy Feast stoves, but I was wondering, what stove would you suggest to use in such a case inside a home?

Images

Nothing INSIDE a home if it involves ANY type of flame.

Pocket rocket for OUTSIDE. Propane BBQ OUTSIDE. Charcoal BBQ OUTSIDE.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

A nice stable canister stove and a bunch of the medium and or Large canisters.
    I loaned friends my Primus multi-fuel stove and middle size canisters after a tornado knocked out their power for a week. They really enjoyed hot coffee.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

There are chemical heated “ready to eat” meals, but they are expensive, solar might work at times...is this a trick question?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    There are chemical heated “ready to eat” meals, but they are expensive, solar might work at times...is this a trick question?
    Nope. I am being serious because my mom was concerned after what happened to Houston and Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    Nope. I am being serious because my mom was concerned after what happened to Houston and Florida.
    I hear ya, nothing like some hot food to keep the spirits up.

A standard 2-burner Coleman propane stove is what I have in my earthquake emergency supply (the big concern in California). This isn't any more dangerous to use in the kitchen than the (natural) gas cooktop I use every day. The Coleman camping stove is much more stable than a backpacking stove.

Images

Sterno Inferno stove uses gelled alcohol. Has stabilizing swing out legs. doesn't cost an arm and a leg ,-)

https://www.amazon.com/Sterno-70138-.../dp/B0169ZDUOM

I'd use a canister stove. It's easy to use and no different then the propane kitchen stove I normally cook on. Heck, when I ran out of propane earlier this summer and didn't want to have the tank filled up right away, I cooked on my canister stove for a couple of weeks.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Alcohol stove with Mountain Home, Ramen or add Hot Water meals
    Small campstove

Used to have a fireplace insert big enough to cook on.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I cook all the time indoors with all the above mentioned stoves, for a couple of years now to stay in practice, and have never had a incident. Just know your stove and use common sense. I even use my water filters and headlamps! Keep all my camping equipment at the ready just in case.

My own ice storm, tornado, hurricane & Zombie Apocalypse cooking setup at home:
    4 burner propane grill with a 5th burner for pot, skillets, etc. and 2 20 pound propane bottles. On my deck.
    JetBoil SOL, Pocket Rocket 2 & Primus MFS with 10-12 medium canisters.
    SVEA 123 and Primus MFS with 1 gallon of Coleman fuel.
    3 bottles of Maker’s Mark. For drinking. Never for cooking.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Liquid Nitrogen

Lost power for a week after a hurricane years ago. We live 5 hours from the coast. Cannot imagine a direct hit.
    I had up to 4 separate dishes cooking at same time on 3 different stoves and a charcoal grill. Whisperlite, canister and alochol. It was actually fun trying to juggle the three at one time.
    The suggestion of a 2 burner camp stove is solid. Would have made cooking for a family much easier.

If its Mom, Coleman propane cannister stove. Optionally get the adapter for the big tank, but that's more fiddly. If its me, Coleman white gas stove.

They also make a 3-burner.

In addition to my propane grill and charcoal grill I have a single burner butane stove that you commonly see at dessert and omelet stations of large buffets. I also now have a 30KW generator that will run the entire house after spending a week without power after an ice storm a few years ago, so you could say I'm a bit over-prepared.

As luck would have it, we haven't had a serious weather event (hurricane or otherwise) since I installed the generator.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    ... As luck would have it, we haven't had a serious weather event (hurricane or otherwise) since I installed the generator.
    Go figure.
    So, it worked?

I've been through many storms, even through the eye of several. A strong cat 3 when it passed over was about the strongest fortunately....
    Anyway, I think for the situation you describe the backpacking stoves aren't really the best option. Something like the grille is more generally useful. If she wanted something small for either portability or easy to stow, I'd say something like the sterno would be a good way to go.
    The more important thing is to have food on hand and water, or a way to treat water such as a filter (in case they have boil restrictions). Keep in mind that if she's on well water, loose power = no water. No water means you can't even flush toilets. Have been through a few rounds like that for 1-2 weeks.... not fun.
    As far as a stove, primarily just wanting to heat up canned food or boil a bit of water for coffee.

Early evacuation is the ideal solution. I left New Orleans on Thursday before Katrina arrived early AM the following Monday. That was perfect timing.
    Leave early works.
    Wayne

The two burner Coleman propane stove would be a good option although I don't own one. I have used my two burner white gas stove inside during an ice storm. I worried a little about fumes so I left a window open. A canister stove would be an easy to use option as mentioned. Put it on the stove when cooking, should be fine inside. A fire extinguisher in the kitchen is always a good idea anyway.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++