View Poll Results: Strato2 or Duplex?

Voters
10. This poll is closed
  • TarpTent StratoSpire 2

    1 10.00%
  • Zpacks Duplex Spruce Green

    9 90.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21

    Default

    Duplex and arc blast on front porch waiting on me to get home!

  2. #22
    Leonidas
    Join Date
    04-26-2016
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quick turnaround!
    AT: 471 mi

    Pinhoti Trail: 254 mi

    @leonidasonthetrail

  3. #23

    Default

    ordered last Friday (10th), not bad at all...

  4. #24

    Default

    While they say a Duplex should last "1 thru-hike" or around 150 nights there are people who have used theirs on 3 thru-hikes doing the triple crown...that's over 400 nights...and still going strong.

    I love my Duplex for tent camping and also have the Spruce color...I also went with it because of the durability of a slightly heavier fabric, same with why I chose the Arc Haul over the Blast. The Arc frame does take some time to get dialed in right for you but once it is I think you will love it...I much preferred it over the Circuit (which I really didn't care for). I actually use a the sil-nylon sack that came with my EE quilt for my tent...perfect size and much easier to get it in.

  5. #25
    Registered User DownEaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-15-2017
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Age
    63
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    While they say a Duplex should last "1 thru-hike" or around 150 nights there are people who have used theirs on 3 thru-hikes doing the triple crown...that's over 400 nights...and still going strong.
    Might be there's a correlation with the thickness of the tent material. Dixie's tent had lots of pinholes in it by the time she got 3/4 of the way through the PCT, and she finished the trek with a Nemo Hornet because the Duplex wasn't proof against the Washington weather.

  6. #26
    Leonidas
    Join Date
    04-26-2016
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Might be there's a correlation with the thickness of the tent material. Dixie's tent had lots of pinholes in it by the time she got 3/4 of the way through the PCT, and she finished the trek with a Nemo Hornet because the Duplex wasn't proof against the Washington weather.
    I'd suspect the fact she used is as a groundsheet to cowboy camp several times personally. Personally, I wouldn't lay on anything but the floor of the tent after dropping $6-700.
    AT: 471 mi

    Pinhoti Trail: 254 mi

    @leonidasonthetrail

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    44
    Posts
    5,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Might be there's a correlation with the thickness of the tent material. Dixie's tent had lots of pinholes in it by the time she got 3/4 of the way through the PCT, and she finished the trek with a Nemo Hornet because the Duplex wasn't proof against the Washington weather.
    Yep...MLD spells it out clearly on their site Iíve seen several videos where the thinner Zpacks cuben tents got holes from hail etc...The reason I opted for the heavier on my duomid


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Might be there's a correlation with the thickness of the tent material. Dixie's tent had lots of pinholes in it by the time she got 3/4 of the way through the PCT, and she finished the trek with a Nemo Hornet because the Duplex wasn't proof against the Washington weather.
    Dixie Shmixie! Don't put too much faith in one thru hiker who happens to be a shameless self promoter. The fact is, pinhole leaks are common with cuben fiber, and the fix is easy. Just carry some cuben fiber tape that Zpacks provides with the tent. BTW, unlike nylon, a tape repair on cuben fiber is permanent. Remember, the entire tent is taped together!

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Registered User DownEaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-15-2017
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Age
    63
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    The fact is, pinhole leaks are common with cuben fiber, and the fix is easy.
    Some folks (myself included) would rather buy a tent that doesn't commonly develop leaks.

  10. #30

    Default

    I got my order and first impression is I love it! Packed the blast up and the duplex does fill my mesh up so i may try and work on transferring that down to the bottom horizontal tie downs. The pack fit like a glove with no adjustments. The duplex was a tad smaller than the strato2, but still ample for 1 person, which is all that will ever be in the tent. Very happy (prehike) with my purchases and really looking forward to testing it out dec 9th weekend.

    The weight drop in my full kit is very noticeable but i feel like i have sacrificed zero comfortability. Very excited

  11. #31
    Leonidas
    Join Date
    04-26-2016
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I got my order and first impression is I love it! Packed the blast up and the duplex does fill my mesh up so i may try and work on transferring that down to the bottom horizontal tie downs. The pack fit like a glove with no adjustments. The duplex was a tad smaller than the strato2, but still ample for 1 person, which is all that will ever be in the tent. Very happy (prehike) with my purchases and really looking forward to testing it out dec 9th weekend.

    The weight drop in my full kit is very noticeable but i feel like i have sacrificed zero comfortability. Very excited
    Making sure I understand how you packed it. Outside front mesh pocket?
    AT: 471 mi

    Pinhoti Trail: 254 mi

    @leonidasonthetrail

  12. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Making sure I understand how you packed it. Outside front mesh pocket?
    Correct. As the best equivelent to my ULA Circuit/ Tarptent setup, stuff it in front mesh veryically with opening facing down. The duplex is shorter and more square then the long skinny tarptent(along with most rolled up tents.

  13. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Correct. As the best equivelent to my ULA Circuit/ Tarptent setup, stuff it in front mesh veryically with opening facing down. The duplex is shorter and more square then the long skinny tarptent(along with most rolled up tents.
    To get my Duplex in the front mesh pocket of my ULA Circuit, I fold it flat and pack in a Zpacks food storage bag. I carry my cuben fiber hammock gear tarp the same way, works really well.

    Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

  14. #34

    Default

    Unless I am carrying an Ursack and 7 days of food I find it much easier to pack my Duplex in the top of my pack vs in thr mesh. However, when I have an Ursack and 7 days of food I do as you do and put it in the mesh pocket.

  15. #35
    Leonidas
    Join Date
    04-26-2016
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Interesting! I generally only use the mesh for rain jacket and kilt.
    AT: 471 mi

    Pinhoti Trail: 254 mi

    @leonidasonthetrail

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-20-2017
    Location
    Saint Johns, FL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I am excited to do a followup video review once the duplex is in. Both tents setup side by side - with printout of specs for both tents to try and give folks a good side by side comparison.
    I will we find the review?
    I'm still trying to decide on a tent to replace my heavy REI halfdome. I still have some variables to figure out but have been leaning to a duplex (or triplex) for a some time. Tilting in some other directions just now, but still very interested in your comparison.

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-20-2017
    Location
    Saint Johns, FL
    Age
    52
    Posts
    626

    Default

    @gambit mcrae, curious if you've done that video or have anything to share yet comparing those two tents?

    I really am liking some of what the stratospire has to offer. Price of course, but I love the idea of the versatility offered with the removable inner, the sidecars, etc....
    but the weight savings with that z-packs must be worth a lot.

    I keep flipping around stuck in analysis paralysis. For some reason I keep coming back to these same four....
    SS1, solplex, duplex, SS2

  18. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    @gambit mcrae, curious if you've done that video or have anything to share yet comparing those two tents?

    I really am liking some of what the stratospire has to offer. Price of course, but I love the idea of the versatility offered with the removable inner, the sidecars, etc....
    but the weight savings with that z-packs must be worth a lot.

    I keep flipping around stuck in analysis paralysis. For some reason I keep coming back to these same four....
    SS1, solplex, duplex, SS2

    I think I am going to hold off on a review until I have spent some time in the duplex. If you are wanting to jump on a tent as of right now I would say the following:

    Scratch the SS1 and Solplex off the list for starts...My buddy has the SS1 and wishes all the time he had gotten the SS2 like mine, now that I have the duplex he wants that instead lol

    I used the SS2 for a couple thousand miles, and never used its versatility once. The side cars are a gimmick in my book and although you can take the mesh out of the SS2, I don't. If I want to tarp I bring my tarp. If I want to tent, I bring my SS2. I would say that if you have the cash to buy a duplex go that route, so many successful thru hikes using one they kind of speak for themselves. I will be doing my review sometime this spring.

  19. #39
    Leonidas
    Join Date
    04-26-2016
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    864

    Default

    I know this is old and Gambit hasn't reviewed yet. With the TT SS2 Li now being available, I wonder if this would be a contender? Looks like the fly is .51 cuben though and not the .74. ~5oz heavier but DW and fly first setup or no fly for bug protection on those clear nights. Price is slightly higher as well.
    AT: 471 mi

    Pinhoti Trail: 254 mi

    @leonidasonthetrail

  20. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I know this is old and Gambit hasn't reviewed yet. With the TT SS2 Li now being available, I wonder if this would be a contender? Looks like the fly is .51 cuben though and not the .74. ~5oz heavier but DW and fly first setup or no fly for bug protection on those clear nights. Price is slightly higher as well.
    If the Li was available when I needed to purchase then I would more then likely have the Li. I have found that the duplex is not quite long enough for my height/ sleep system. I am 6'2"ish and use a long wide exped synmat. either my head or foot box is toughing the top of the duplex if I do not use sticks/ umbrella vertically under guy lines as seen below.

    I miss my TT. I enjoy the weight savings of the duplex. I would be extremely happy with the duplex if it were 6" longer

    IMG_9971.JPGIMG_0761.JPG
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 11-16-2018 at 11:26.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •