WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Capsulitis of the second toe

I was diagnosed with capsulitis of the 2nd toe a few years ago. I reduced my long runs, and day hiking didn't bother me much. Recently did a ten day backpack in the Sierras as a shakeout hike for my 2018 thru hike. My toe/foot was so painful, I was taking 3 or 4 naproxen every day. I know I can't do that every day for 6 months, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with capsulitis and can recommend treatment or what type of doctor to see besides a podiatrist?

If it is truly capsulitis, some type of NSAIDs are probably your best bet. If you're not confident with the answers you got from the podiatrist, maybe go see an orthopod and maybe also talk to a gastroenterologist to see what your better options would be for a 5-6 month thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    and maybe also talk to a gastroenterologist to see what your better options would be for a 5-6 month thru hike.
    I don't know much about capsulitis but I'm curious to know how a gastroenterologist could help. Is it related to digestive problems?

Could be da gout!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Could be da gout!
    I was thinking this as well having had a round or two with it. Diet corrections/adjustments helped me.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    I was thinking this as well having had a round or two with it. Diet corrections/adjustments helped me.
    I didn’t know this till pretty recently, but gout can affect the ackles and knees as well as the toes and feet.

Sorry for the confusion. I recommended the gastroenterologist to give you advice on which anti inflammatory Rx and what dosage schedule would have the least GI side effects when used for an extended hike.

Sorry for the confusion. I recommended the gastroenterologist to give you advice on which anti inflammatory Rx and what dosage schedule would have the least GI side effects when used for an extended hike.
    Gotcha, good call. I’ve had good luck with the cox2 inhibitors like Bextra. Vioxx they pulled off the market.

Aaaaaaah! Makes sense.

++ New Posts ++