WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default bears, guns, and the BMT

I just got back from a short trip on the BMT, where I had an interesting experience. A pretty big black bear wandered into my camp the first night, and got within 20-30 feet of me while I was sitting on a log eating my dinner before we noticed each other and he wandered off. I've come across bears before, so I slept soundly that night and didn't worry about him a bit.

The next morning, I was 30 minutes up the trail when a dude comes over a small hill 20-30 feet in front of me carrying a pistol IN HIS HAND. As soon as he saw me, he holstered it on his belt, chuckled, and said, "Sorry if I scared you by carrying this." Of course you scared me, you @$$hole, you're walking around in the woods with a handgun drawn. And as soon as he passed me, he pulled it back out again. Unlike with the bear, I spent the next couple of hours looking behind me to make sure that nut job wasn't coming back.

If you're so scared in the woods that you need to have your firearm in your hand the entire time, then choose a less frightening activity. And if you're just carrying it for attention, then go wave that thing around in an airport or something. They'll give you plenty of attention, and I won't have to carry an extra pair of underwear.
    -tagg

Images

was the guy with the pistol maybe hunting something?

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    was the guy with the pistol maybe hunting something?
    He was dressed in typical hiking/exercise clothes with a small pack and didn't look like he was a hunter, but I guess I have no idea. I don't really care if people want to carry a gun while hiking, I'd just rather they weren't carrying it in their hand, pointed in my direction lol.
    -tagg

who hunts with a pistol?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    who hunts with a pistol?

while it may not be very popular----it can still be done......

after all---hunting involves nothing more than a killing device...........which a pistol is......

TN, it's been a long while since I've seen anyone hunting with a pistol. I bet this hiker came across the same bear in his camp that night. Rather than sleep soundly, he got little sleep and became paranoid. The next morning he decided to keep his pistol handy in case this bear had any "funny ideas".

Images

TN, it's been a long while since I've seen anyone hunting with a pistol. I bet this hiker came across the same bear in his camp that night. Rather than sleep soundly, he got little sleep and became paranoid. The next morning he decided to keep his pistol handy in case this bear had any "funny ideas".

or he was doing target practicing by shooting at random things in the woods........

but, since the OP never found out why the guy had gun---we will never know......

Journal Entries

who hunts with a pistol?
    Any thing short of a .308 rifle cartridge is worthless against a bear. I know a couple guys that tried deer hunting with pistols in .44 caliber and .45 Long Colt. I also know guys that buy a Thompson Contender with which you can buy various barrels of different calibers including many rifle cartridges. I agree that if you feel that afraid to walk in the woods that you have to carry a gun in or out of its holster, just take up golf where you can walk 18 holes and see plenty of greens.
    Blackheart

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Reminds me of the night I spent at Raven Rocks shelter in MD years ago. There were some younger guys in the shelter that didn't appear to be hikers. They were very courteous when I talked to them, and I ended up tenting on one of the tent pads. The next morning I packed up, said good bye and started hiking North on the AT. I did notice one odd thing though, they had a large duffel bag with them.

So, I get maybe 5 - 10 minutes up the trail and I start hearing automatic gunfire in the direction of the shelter. Initially I was like what the f@#$. I pictured these young guys being shot by someone that came in off the road. Then I realized...duh...it's probably the young guys doing some target practice, and that's what was in the duffel bag. Nonetheless, I hightailed it out of there as hearing automatic gunfire that close was pretty dang weird. Automatic gunfire at a gun range where the people have the proper permits for the guns, no biggie...automatic gunfire at a shelter on the AT where I'm pretty sure these were "black market" guns, I'm gonna get the h double hockey sticks outta there.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Could have been hunting for wild boar. Sometime back we were returning from an weekend hike on Slickrock Creek and encountered a guy leaning up against a tree with a large caliber pistol drawn. We had be hearing a hound baying nearby. He said that it was his dog and she was trying to flush a pig out of the laurel. He explained that he used a pistol because the thick brush sometimes gets in the way of aiming. We moved along wuickly.

Hunting with pistols was fairly common once upon a time. There are record holders who have taken big game with a pistol, grizzlies, included. Not something I would want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Hunting with pistols was fairly common once upon a time. There are record holders who have taken big game with a pistol, grizzlies, included. Not something I would want to do.
    Some folks in Eastern NC still bear hunt with pistols. They tree the bear with dogs and then walk around for a head shot.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Anyone who wants to kill a bear that's being kept up a tree by yapping dogs should only do so with something respectable like a fork or a pocket knife. Shooting a bird that's perched is considered unsportsmanlike, like shooting a tin can off a fence post. Same goes for bears whether it's with a rifle or a pistol.

Red face

who hunts with a pistol?
    UL Hunters

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Any thing short of a .308 rifle cartridge is worthless against a bear
    What caliber is an arrow? Lots of archery bear hunters around.

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    What caliber is an arrow? Lots of archery bear hunters around.
    In PA,a minimum 2inch broad arrow.

What does bear meat taste like? I've heard it needs to be cooked well done because of parasites. not my favorite.
    And what about wild boar?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    What does bear meat taste like? I've heard it needs to be cooked well done because of parasites. not my favorite.
    And what about wild boar?

Ive never eaten either one but I've heard wild boar is a tough meat......

and i believe that most bear hunters don't necessary eat the meat but rather hunt for the fur and mounting the carcass on the wall.....

Quote Originally Posted by ALLEGHENY View Post
    In PA,a minimum 2inch broad arrow.
    Correction
    0.875 minimum diameter

Default Feral hogs/boar

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Could have been hunting for wild boar. Sometime back we were returning from an weekend hike on Slickrock Creek and encountered a guy leaning up against a tree with a large caliber pistol drawn. We had be hearing a hound baying nearby. He said that it was his dog and she was trying to flush a pig out of the laurel. He explained that he used a pistol because the thick brush sometimes gets in the way of aiming. We moved along wuickly.
    Most likely this guy was hunting feral hogs. It is often done with large caliber handguns for the reason cited (brushy areas restricting the shooter's movement/aim). I'd further speculate he had his weapon unholstered due to wanting to "be ready" in the event of flushing one at short distance. Feral hogs can go 200-300 lbs, are capable of shocking bursts of speed, and are very aggressive. Those who hunt them are taking considerable risks by doing so, given their capabilities and aggressiveness.

AO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++