Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Dixie

I really enjoy Dixie's videos. Actually kind of got addicted and couldn't wait for the next one to come out. I couldn't disagree more with the notion that she seemed bitter and entitled. As for the drone, she seemed in quite remote locations where she was alone for hours if not days at a time. And I'm not a fan of them, but I don't think she bothered others. They certainly produced amazing images/videos.

I wonder how awesome these would be if it was a middle-aged fat guy doing the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    I wonder how awesome these would be if it was a middle-aged fat guy doing the videos.
    Dixie does bring a different perspective from the typical through-hiker, who are mostly either young (just out of high school or college) or old (retired). She had her mid-life crisis early and quit her job to hike the AT at age 29.

He probably wouldn't be making $34,000 a year on Patreon.

The videos are well done. However...All of the illegal fires at camp are disconcerting. Especially in Southern California. How can you hike through mile after mile of burn and think it's cool to have a fire? She shows at least one. Not to mention the fires in the Sierra are also illegal, and immoral.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    The videos are well done. However...All of the illegal fires at camp are disconcerting. Especially in Southern California. How can you hike through mile after mile of burn and think it's cool to have a fire? She shows at least one. Not to mention the fires in the Sierra are also illegal, and immoral.
    I'd be really shocked if Dixie really set any illegal fires. Can you point to one of the videos showing an illegal fire?

There is perception and there is reality. From a viewer perspective it's easy to judge, to point out details. In reality, we need to realize, we weren't there, we don't have the same perspective as someone who is in the middle of a multi-month hike. There are so many variables to consider before we turn to negative outcome or opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    Let me go

Default Dixie

well, it's not the AT, but there are campgrounds out there with fire rings. Hard for me to believe that lady would set an illegal fire somewhere. I ALMOST want to add the caveat "Especially in a place like California"...
    But really, I can't imagine she would set an illegal fire anywhere!

She started at least one illegal fire, a small one, that she used to cook a dinner. More show up in her videos, though I don't think she started them. One in the San Gabriels where fires outside of developed campgrounds are illegal, others show up in the Sierra in areas that are for sure in no fire zones. I wish she would delete those scenes as they give people the wrong impression, particularly to the ATers who seem to be her target audience. In her AT vs. PCT video she does talk about how fires are mostly illegal on the PCT, I thank her for that. In that video she also stresses LNT, particularly packing out TP. Kudos to her!

Ever since the big influx of PCT thruhikers I've seen the increase in illegal fire rings in SoCal. It sort of irks me, and I try to break up as many as I can. In my short AT experience, fires seem very popular at night at the shelters. That works fine back east, but not so much in the west. When there's not enough water to drink, there's not enough to properly extinguish a camp fire. Just north of Kennedy Meadows is the site of a fire from the '70s. None of the trees have made a come back there. people just can't be careful enough with fire.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    He probably wouldn't be making $34,000 a year on Patreon.
    Wait, she doesn't really make that much off of patreon does she?!?

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered Offender

Our standards for enlightenment or inspiration are always a little lower when it's a pretty face delivering.

Right!
    Wayne

yeah, well true enough
    except I have seen several with quite a good following on youtube....

Wouldn't matter to me, I'm queer. (Also am following a half a dozen other backpackers. She's the only gal, afaik.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

Yup. https://www.patreon.com/homemadewanderlust

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    Wouldn't matter to me, I'm queer. (Also am following a half a dozen other backpackers. She's the only gal, afaik.)
    Content and delivery are the critical elements for me. Her delivery has steadily improved. There is a lot of redundant information out there and a bunch of the "gear reviews" are nothing more than a show-and-tell while quoting the specifications.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    How do you think she pays the guy (Aaron) who edits her videos? It's not like YouTube by itself brings in noticeable money after the adpocalypse. Also her camera equipment (including drone) and data plan cost money. A video series people want to watch isn't either easy or cheap to make.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    How do you think she pays the guy (Aaron) who edits her videos? It's not like YouTube by itself brings in noticeable money after the adpocalypse. Also her camera equipment (including drone) and data plan cost money. A video series people want to watch isn't either easy or cheap to make.
    Honestly I didn't pay it much mind. I grew up in an area where enough people had familial wealth/trust funds that such things don't seem terribly unusual.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++