WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Relieving leg cramps

I was listening to People's Pharmacy this morning and they were talking about how pickle juice, yellow mustard, and capsaicin work to relieve leg cramps. The hypothesis is that, rather than working through digestion, certain acids and oils react with nerve receptors in the mouth and throat.

Anybody carry yellow mustard packets in their med kit? I had never heard of that one.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Images

Nope, electrolyte capsules. Has consistently worked for me for years.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Hydration and electrolytes. When I get pretty dehydrated hiking, I wake up in the middle of the night with calf cramps. When I stay well hydrated...then no cramps.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Alka Seltzer is what I carry.Works quickly to relieve leg cramps and hand /finger cramps.

Images

I heard that People's Pharmacy episode and was surprised that they didn't mention metal cofactors. I think that learning about copper and magnesium and even rarer metals and how they are catalysts (though biochemistry calls the same thing cofactors) for metabolic processes was the most useful thing I learned in college biochemistry. Mustard and pickles/pickle juice are both resplendent in these cofactors.

Taste? Mouth? Nah. It is that your metabolism is missing some key factors and oh, here they are. Alca-Seltzer (spelling?) also has some of them.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nuum electrolyte tabs are easy but not cheap. Poor mans method is Mortons light salt which is blend of sodium and potassium chloride added to water with something to flavor it. Both work

I hope some of this works. I've tried pickle juice and mustard. Didn't work for me. Think I'll try alka seltzer next. I always have leg/toe cramps at night and hand/finger cramps during the day.....

magnesium tabs work for me
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

+1 for magnesium. Look for 'Calm', a powdered drink mix that's loaded with it. Be careful, it loosens up EVERY muscle, so if you overdo it you might end up with butt problems.

Not trying to be contrary but I added a daily magnesium pill and did not get any relief from my calf/foot cramps. I take calcium too.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

yep. I was taking calcium, magnesium and potassium too, and didn't help. But this thread got me looking into electrolytes again. Found several brands , and they recommend about 1 per hour while you're hiking. This might be my problem. I never took more than 1 a day!

Images

Electrolyte mix at the end of the day, and a tennis ball to massage my leg muscles.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Potato chips and chia seeds, Gatorade and lots of water during the day and after finishing hiking for the day.

I'm on board with staying hydrated and consuming electrolytes. This discussion was about cramps that are not caused by dehydration or a nutritional deficiency.

What I found fascinating was that these products provided relief within minutes, far too quickly to be absorbed through digestion.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I just increase salt intake. Works for me

Check out Sports Legs. I've used them in the past when cycling.

Pickle juice is basically a brine solution (lots of salt).

I like corn chips. Lots of salt and fat and a source of Potassium. These have become my primary lunch food. They can also add some crunch to otherwise mushy dinners.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Pickle juice is basically a brine solution (lots of salt).

I like corn chips. Lots of salt and fat and a source of Potassium. These have become my primary lunch food. They can also add some crunch to otherwise mushy dinners.

That is a win win . Great fire starters to . Never leave home without it

Quinine water, available at any package store. A couple of ounces stops the cramps in a few minutes. Also, a good mixer!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Journal Entries
    Images

Magnesium causes hemorrhoids?

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    +1 for magnesium. Look for 'Calm', a powdered drink mix that's loaded with it. Be careful, it loosens up EVERY muscle, so if you overdo it you might end up with butt problems.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++