WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rain gear

I'm happy with a rain jacket, wrap and umbrella. Gives you a lot of versatility. Umbrella up for light showers, and it's hands free, so doesn't disrupt my walking. Starting to get constant drizzle add the wrap. Really heavy and or blowy jacket on, but you may be able to leave it undone for ventilation depending on the rain direction. This solution works for me. Umbrella helps cover the top of the pack and the gap between, good to put over the pack whilst setting up, I've brewed under it whilst sitting on a log, good for the late night visits to the privy, etc. Used it on the first 300 miles this year and got quite a few "wish I had an umbrella" comments, in the rain.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Just watched a couple of you-tubes on these, WOW! I like it. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your replies. It has caused the synapses in the gray matter to fire! You guys gave me exactly what I needed to make a decision. As one poster pointed out, there is no perfect solution. I definitely love the Packa and will be getting each of us one. Thanks again for directing this rookie. We are really excited to get started next April.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I've answered this question a bunch of times with a long dissertation, and I actually figured out a way to final give a simple answer.

Figure out at what temperature you start to get cold in the rain. Above that temperature you really only need a poncho (what I use), an umbrella or something equivalent. Below that temperature it's time for the rain coat and maybe some rain pants.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Journal Entries

I have a Packa and love it. no wet pack straps to deal with and easy to put on after practice a few times. You won't be disappointed.
    Blackheart

frogg toggs jacket partially unzipped so it vents, umbrella (chrome dome) and a ula rain kilt. lots of airflow and rain protection.

I use a Patagonia Houdini windshirt and Zpacks 3 in one Poncho. I have added snaps to sleeve area to reduce flapping in the wind.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    I'm happy with a rain jacket, wrap and umbrella. Gives you a lot of versatility. Umbrella up for light showers, and it's hands free, so doesn't disrupt my walking. Starting to get constant drizzle add the wrap. Really heavy and or blowy jacket on, but you may be able to leave it undone for ventilation depending on the rain direction. This solution works for me. Umbrella helps cover the top of the pack and the gap between, good to put over the pack whilst setting up, I've brewed under it whilst sitting on a log, good for the late night visits to the privy, etc. Used it on the first 300 miles this year and got quite a few "wish I had an umbrella" comments, in the rain.
    Same here. I use a couple pieces of two-sided velcro to attach my Chromedome equivalent to my pack. This works well on maintained trails like the AT and PCT. On trails which are closer to a bushwhack with overgrown brush, the umbrella becomes a liability in all-day-rain and then I opt for rain jacked (OR Helium) paired with a rain wrap.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your replies. It has caused the synapses in the gray matter to fire! You guys gave me exactly what I needed to make a decision. As one poster pointed out, there is no perfect solution. I definitely love the Packa and will be getting each of us one. Thanks again for directing this rookie. We are really excited to get started next April.
    The Packa would fail for me for the same reason a rain coat does, not enough ventilation. Also, you loose the big loose tent to eat, navigate, and rummage around under. Don't get me wrong, it may well be that the Packa is perfect for you and your preferences, BUT, I would recommend considering trying one out and experimenting with it before you jump in with all for feet. You my have found your perfect solution, or, you may have found a great idea that doesn't work out as well as it sounds on youtube.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Watch out for hypothermia in the mountains in NH and ME. Will your rain gear and clothing keep you out of hypothermia with cold wind driven rain? In the NH Presidentials (Mt. Washington, etc), you could run into heavy rain, high wind (60mph common, 100+mph possible) and 35F degrees. Goretex and similar fabrics won't necessarily keep you dry in those conditions but will keep you warm if you have enough fleece/wool underneath. I often use Frogg Toggs, but above treeline in New England I would be afraid the wind could shred them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    I often use Frogg Toggs, but above treeline in New England I would be afraid the wind could shred them.
    Excepting really extreme conditions (Mt. Washington) I wouldn't worry about Frogg Toggs in the wind. They're not particularly durable, but you generally need a puncture somewhere to start shredding. You can tear FTs apart bushwhacking, but open trails above tree line are pretty much ideal for these flimsy rain garments. So slap a bit of duct tape on any FT rips before they get big and keep on trekking.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    The Packa would fail for me for the same reason a rain coat does, not enough ventilation. Also, you loose the big loose tent to eat, navigate, and rummage around under. Don't get me wrong, it may well be that the Packa is perfect for you and your preferences, BUT, I would recommend considering trying one out and experimenting with it before you jump in with all for feet. You my have found your perfect solution, or, you may have found a great idea that doesn't work out as well as it sounds on youtube.
    Nsherry61 in this video you can see how you put it on. My Cuben fiber tarp, ropes and stakes can all fit in the same area as the jacket sleeves. When it's pouring down rain, I can reach back pull the tarp and everything else without taking the pack or or the jacket off. If it was deployed for lunch, I set it up with one side as a porch cover and others can get in out of the rain with me. After eating, I pull the stakes and let the sides hang from the continuous line and take a rag/towel and wipe most of the water off as I pull the sleeve on the tarp. It is dry enough to be store back in the Packa Pack cover. It took some practice to do it, but I am down to about 3 minutes setup and 6 minutes take down, all while staying dry.
    Blackheart

I recommend The Packa.

http://www.thepacka.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++