WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where to start in June

My husband and I are thinking of starting a thru-hike in June after the school year ends since I’m teaching. We would never be able to make it if we started in GA, so I was trying to explain flip flopping to him. I thought we could either start in Harpers Ferry or Shenandoah and hike north. Then we would either return to our starting point and hike south, or go to GA and hike back to our starting point.

Which route would likely be better? I thought of flipping to GA and hiking north for the second half to avoid cold and snow at the high altitude but would that really work or would it be about the same to hike the middle later in the season due to it being farther north?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Why not just SOBO? Start in Maine and hike to Georgia. If I was starting in June for a thru-hike, that is what I'd do.

I thought about that but I read that it’s not recommended because of the difficulty of the northern part of the trail, as well as the 100 Mile Wilderness. Is it not actually that difficult? Or would it be better to get our trail legs on a different part and then tackle those mountains?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We started May 1st from Rockfish Gap, then flopped back there and headed south. I think we'd do it again the same way. Second choice would be a June SOBO as mentioned, but the black flies/mosquitos scare me..

I was a NOBO and I honestly don't think I could have started in Maine and made it. Not only is Katahdin very tough, but once you get about 70 miles into the hundred mile wilderness you will start to hit the toughest part of the entire A.T. The difficulty ramps us as you go through Maine and then you tackle the Whites. Unless you are experienced and really confident, I would flip flop with a June start. I think Harpers Ferry would be my choice.

Images

When in June? Just a couple of weeks might make a difference. I'd probably start further north, maybe the Connecticut state line. That will give you a few weeks to get your trail legs before hitting the Whites, and also get you the best summer weather in NH and Maine. Then flip back to your starting place and head south to Springer. It's mostly a sobo hike but without the disadvantage that you noted. You also get to "finish" at both termini.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Start in ME, hike south.
    When you meet them in NH and VT, loathe the swaggering northbounders who think they're tougher than you.

Sobos have a higher completion rate. Probably because they have the toughest part of the trail out of the way, first, before they are worn out and beaten down. They are in the prettiest part of the trail and still enjoying it. Nobos at that point just want it over with.

We’d be starting around June 8-10. My last day of work should be June 6. I’m liking the idea of flip flopping for weather and conditions. I don’t know that I’d want to deal with the flies and mosquitoes, or the most rugged terrain right off the bat. Starting In Connecticut is an interesting idea. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m guessing that would be the southern state line?

I'd start at the Delaware Water Gap.

Far enough north to be ahead of the big bubble (and PA) and south enough to miss the worst of New England June weather and bugs. You'd probably get to Katahdin early to mid August. I'd probably then take a little time off to rest and eat, then flop back down to the DWG around Labor Day. It should be starting to cool off a little around there by then.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

We hiked with someone in Vermont who had started at the NY/CT state line in mid June, with exactly this idea in mind. She had a successful flip flop hike. I do like the idea of the flip, because it lets one start on an easier section of trail, avoid some of the bugs, and get better weather in Maine and in the South. (Fall in the South is pretty spectacular.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I expect the reason for the higher completion rates for South bounders is that they are in general in better shape and more prepared then the typical North bounder. Maine is definitely tough although the first couple of days in the 100 MW are quite easy except for the occasional deep mud and clouds of black flies that will chase a hiker all the way to NH. Far better to visit later in the season. Plenty of folks flip flop from Harper Ferry and have a great hit Northern New England a little alter in the season where the bugs are far less of an issue and folks have their trail legs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

Far enough north to be ahead of the big bubble (and PA) and south enough to miss the worst of New England June weather and bugs. You'd probably get to Katahdin early to mid August. I'd probably then take a little time off to rest and eat, then flop back down to the DWG around Labor Day. It should be starting to cool off a little around there by then.
    After reading all the responses and doing some thinking (and having hiked the entire trail), I like this idea the best.

Best weather/bug option
    Best "getting your trail legs on" option
    Best avoiding the crowds (but you'll still se plenty of folks) option
    Decent logistics
    New Jersey is a fantastic section of the trail to start on, especially compared with PA
    You'll hit PA in better shape than if you start at Harpers

I was going to lobby for the simple Harpers->Katahdin, then Harpers->Springer, but DWG->Katahdin then flip sounds a little better. It all works, even the simple one-way SOBO from Katahdin. The first 50 or so miles on the 100-mile wilderness is easy-peasy (well, except the first 5 miles coming down Katahdin!), allowing some time, at least, to get those legs in a bit better shape.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

DWG may be the best flip logistically and strategically. People seem to have trouble finding the dozen bus options from NYC because the stop is Stroudsburg:
    Martz Trailways Bus Terminal
    Bus Company
    1082 Foxtown Hill Road · (570) 421-3040

Also, an equally close Park N Ride lot.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    DWG may be the best flip logistically and strategically. People seem to have trouble finding the dozen bus options from NYC because the stop is Stroudsburg:
    Martz Trailways Bus Terminal
    Bus Company
    1082 Foxtown Hill Road · (570) 421-3040

Also, an equally close Park N Ride lot.
    One more option is Port Jarvis, which is near High Point in NJ, about half way through NJ. Very convenient with a train from NYC right to the place, and cheap cab ride (or hitch) to trailhead (3 miles?).

Just an aside, Port Jarvis is actually in NY, but accesses the AT in NJ (the town is right across the line, and the AT follows the state line through this area).

Images

Correct that... the train to Port Jarvis is actually from Newark. A cheap place to fly into, by the way. We paid $108 each way from Denver to Newark when we took a break from the trail there.

++ New Posts ++