WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Byran Reese Parking lot

How big is the parking lot? I am looking to park there next Memorial Day morning and shuttle down to Springer mountain and hike back. Is it a small parking lot? Will there be enough room on a popular holiday morning to find a spot for my vehicle or should I make a different plan?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Based on my experience last weekend you may need to park at Tesnatee or Hogpen gap. Woody gap and BR were full but we improvised.

The Byron Reese parking lot holds maybe 30 cars. It is very popular as it serves Blood Mountain. Do not attempt to force a spot if it is full: the rangers can be pretty diligent about enforcement. I would suggest you get there very early. Tesnatee Gap is another 6 miles past Neel Gap (do not park there!) but that section of the trail is quite scenic. Tesnatee holds maybe 10-15 cars but is less heavily used.

No. There will not be a space available on Memorial Day unless the weather is really bad. Your best bet, and let's just keep this between you and me, is to park at Wolf Pen Gap on SR 180. Get your shuttle down to Springer and then when you get back to Blood Mtn backtrack to the Duncan Ridge Trail head and hike over to Wolf Pen Gap. Only about 2.5 miles from top of Blood to Wolf Pen Gap. Parking is rarely an issue at Wolf Pen Gap. But if you let the word out that might change.

I get it. I have fishing holes in south Ga and the gulf that I protect.

Been here several times. This parking area is not nearly big enough to handle the people who want to use it. On weekends you must arrive very early. on a holiday weekend I can't imagine your odds will be good at all.

Another option: park at Lake Winfield Scott. It is a $5 or $10 fee and you can head straight back to Suches, then pick up Cooper Gap Rd, (FS42) back to Springer Mountain. When you walk back, you can go up Blood to see the view, then back down to Slaughter Gap and take the Slaughter Creek Trail down to Winfield Scott. A plus, there are hot showers at Winfield Scott so you can freshen up before you hit the road.

I got lost just reading that.lol

That sounds great. I will definitely look into it. Thanks

++ New Posts ++